Oliver Martin update

Back when Vince Young or Colt McCoy were running the GD Offense, they would throw deep routes and go routes, and the safeties would be so worried about the screens that the middle of the field would be empty. But Vince could throw a deep ball with just a flick of his wrist, and his wide receivers could run and jump and catch it in stride.....

This is just an asinine comment.

What former Iowa QBs and WRs under KF are playing in the NFL? There is nearly 20 years of evidence to back this up.

KOK and GD liked to run some different plays so that part of the offense did change a bit over KF's tenure but the overall offensive plan was the same. Establish the run and pass when needed. That will not change under BF as OC. Kirk has said many times, 'we are who we are'. WRs first job is to block (which is interesting because a fast WR who is any sort of threat to catch the ball, running a go route, will often take 2 defenders out of the play without throwing a single block).

On the other hand, OL, RBs, & TEs and foolish to not come to Iowa. There is plenty of evidence over the last 20 years that OL and TEs will make it to the next level through Iowa City and RBs will have every opportunity to get the ball and make a name for themselves. I've said before and will say again, Iowa should move to more 2 and 3TE sets and with a single WR. They have better TEs (Fant and Kittle where probably the best athletes on the team among WRs/TEs) and know how to use them. They don't have good WRs, struggle to recruit that position like no other, and don't know how to use them anyway.

What former Iowa QBs and WRs under KF are playing in the NFL? There is nearly 20 years of evidence to back this up.

KOK and GD liked to run some different plays so that part of the offense did change a bit over KF's tenure but the overall offensive plan was the same. Establish the run and pass when needed. That will not change under BF as OC. Kirk has said many times, 'we are who we are'. WRs first job is to block (which is interesting because a fast WR who is any sort of threat to catch the ball, running a go route, will often take 2 defenders out of the play without throwing a single block).

On the other hand, OL, RBs, & TEs and foolish to not come to Iowa. There is plenty of evidence over the last 20 years that OL and TEs will make it to the next level through Iowa City and RBs will have every opportunity to get the ball and make a name for themselves. I've said before and will say again, Iowa should move to more 2 and 3TE sets and with a single WR. They have better TEs (Fant and Kittle where probably the best athletes on the team among WRs/TEs) and know how to use them. They don't have good WRs, struggle to recruit that position like no other, and don't know how to use them anyway.

You referenced Michigan as an "offense that can get him the ball", then Iowa as the same "Jr High offense from the 1980's". You contradicted yourself in the first sentence, It's the same style of offense!

OSU doesn't have an offense that is especially good for WR or QB's to the NFL, unless you think stars don't matter and OSU is building up all these guys. That's like saying "get the guy selling shirts at the mall to sell cars." Yeah, he may be able to do it, but if the same guy was selling cars for 4 years prior MOST people would expect the guy that has worked in the same medium to be better at it.

Maybe you meant the QB's at OSU making it as WR's in the NFL.

Yeah, not asinine at all.

Looks like jimmy is going to have an in home and at school visit for Martin. It appears to me that Michigan was moving on (after signing 2 stud receivers) and then heard Ohio State was sniffing around.

Looks like jimmy is going to have an in home and at school visit for Martin. It appears to me that Michigan was moving on (after signing 2 stud receivers) and then heard Ohio State was sniffing around.

I would love it if Martin was just trolling with both Michigan and Ohio State to see who would beg the hardest. It has to be pretty heady to know that those guys are personally coming after you. If Harbaugh is making these visits at this time, he must think he has a good shot (or already thinks he has him and wants to keep him).

If you can't tell the difference between the KOK passing offense and the GD passing offense then you must not have been paying attention.
I am not saying that the KOK passing offense was a world burner, but the use of personnel, play action, and route positioning were completely different. Will Iowa always be a run oriented pro style offense, yes. Will we continue to try to run a dink and dunk passing game that hinders the running game more than it helps it, I truly doubt it.
Yes I can see the difference. I was only stating that any OC will have his hands tied with Kirk. That was all. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yes I can see the difference. I was only stating that any OC will have his hands tied with Kirk. That was all. Nothing more, nothing less.
So you saw a difference in the passing schemes between KOK and GD but the schemes won't change. Which one is it?

Last edited:
I'm not certain that KOK's offense was that terrible. I know Iowa had average numbers, however I don't believe that is indicative of the quality of the offense, but Iowa's desire to control the clock and be solid on defense. You can even look at all the games where Iowa shuts it down in the 3rd/4th quarter and just runs clock. Those are solid reasons why the numbers are average, because not many other teams do this. That's not even including the many years where AIRBHG decimated the ranks or the offense in 2004 with no running game, which was amazing what they were able to do.

On the other hand with GD, I get his schematic desires... I think, but it has never really made any sense to me, especially at Iowa. It was like watching an old tabletop football game, all the pieces gyrating around on the LOS. I'd love to see what Iowa could have done with a KOK offense the last few years with the players and schedules Iowa had.

If you want to hate on Ferentz because he doesn't run up the score, which sometimes will lose us games, then I get it, I do. But to say the offense was terrible with KOK is disingenuous or misremembered.

Single season receiving yards, Martin is #22 in 2016 with 1272 yards in 13 games; the all time leader is Levi Jungling of Pella Christian with 1602 yards in 11 games in 2015.

Career receiving yards, Martin is #4 with 3449 yards; the all time leader is Levi Jungling with 3818 yards.

Single season receptions, Martin is #12 in 2015 with 85 catches; the all time leader is Connor Hermann of Mt Vernon with 102 catches in 14 games in 2015.

Career receptions, Martin is the leader with 239 catches. TJ Hockenson of Chariton is in second place with 238 catches.

Single season TD receptions, Martin is way down on the list with 14 in 2016 (also 14 in 2015); the all time leader is Tyler Tryon of Ar-We-Va with 23 TD catches in 9 games in 1992.

Career TD receptions, Martin is #8 with 33 TD catches; the all time leader is TJ Hockenson of Chariton with 49.

http://www.iahsaa.org/football/football-archives/ has links to game, season and career stats and rankings as of January 1, 2017.
Thanks for sharing that. I guess I was off on most of those! Still believe Iowa's approach was what I stated above. Hope it doesn't come back to bite them in the hiney.

I couldn't agree more...
Preach it brother!

There's this group of people that keep this constant "I hate Ferentz" circle jerk going on saying whatever they feel like with little to no facts, then patting each other on the back for a job well done.

I mean, people are talking about Brian Ferentz being under qualified, do they know what qualified means? Then, the last couple of classes being terrible, probably expect Bama's recruiting class. Or maybe Iowa should have kept people that were lying to recruits/coaches on staff until NSD. Seriously, even OSU and Michigan have to get some fall backs. Like talking to a wall...

Luckily, most of them should be mollified as Trump finally took office.

Preach it brother!

There's this group of people that keep this constant "I hate Ferentz" circle jerk going on saying whatever they feel like with little to no facts, then patting each other on the back for a job well done.

I mean, people are talking about Brian Ferentz being under qualified, do they know what qualified means? Then, the last couple of classes being terrible, probably expect Bama's recruiting class. Or maybe Iowa should have kept people that were lying to recruits/coaches on staff until NSD. Seriously, even OSU and Michigan have to get some fall backs. Like talking to a wall...

Luckily, most of them should be mollified as Trump finally took office.

We're currently 12th in the B1G in recruiting that's a fact. That's far from expecting an Alabama type class. You know what Michigan and tOSU take for fall back recruits? 4 star players like Higdon and Martin. Explain how you think Ferentz junior is qualified to be our OC. Keep in mind he has never developed a qb, designed an offense, called a play, etc. Compare him to some of the other recent hires for other teams at OC. If his last name wasn't Ferentz, nobody here would want him.

We're currently 12th in the B1G in recruiting that's a fact. That's far from expecting an Alabama type class. You know what Michigan and tOSU take for fall back recruits? 4 star players like Higdon and Martin. Explain how you think Ferentz junior is qualified to be our OC. Keep in mind he has never developed a qb, designed an offense, called a play, etc. Compare him to some of the other recent hires for other teams at OC. If his last name wasn't Ferentz, nobody here would want him.

HAHAHA, you say that is "far from expecting Bama classes", but then you compare us to Michigan and OSU, and think we should get Michigan and OSU type fallbacks???????

If the TE coach from New England, that was there when they drafted and developed Hernandez and Gronk, were to come coach OL you would be happy if his name weren't Ferentz. While at Iowa he would win the Joe Moore award, have (2) 1000 yard backs as the running game OC, you would be ecstatic he got the OC job if his name weren't Ferentz. Problem is you hate KF, so you hate Brian as well.

Oh, and the TE coach that followed Brain for 2 years, got an OC job just 2 years after leaving as TE coach at NE having never called a play before. Even though the TE were never as good at NE as they were under Brian. Brian could have done the exact same thing, but KF blocked him and kept him at OL coach for 5 years after leaving NE. Brian was actually patient, and the only reason he waited that long was it was for Iowa.

HAHAHA, you say that is "far from expecting Bama classes", but then you compare us to Michigan and OSU, and think we should get Michigan and OSU type fallbacks???????

If the TE coach from New England, that was there when they drafted and developed Hernandez and Gronk, were to come coach OL you would be happy if his name weren't Ferentz. While at Iowa he would win the Joe Moore award, have (2) 1000 yard backs as the running game OC, you would be ecstatic he got the OC job if his name weren't Ferentz. Problem is you hate KF, so you hate Brian as well.

Oh, and the TE coach that followed Brain for 2 years, got an OC job just 2 years after leaving as TE coach at NE having never called a play before. Even though the TE were never as good at NE as they were under Brian. Brian could have done the exact same thing, but KF blocked him and kept him at OL coach for 5 years after leaving NE. Brian was actually patient, and the only reason he waited that long was it was for Iowa.

While you're not completely wrong, the 1,000 rusher thing gets way overplayed. Joe Moore award? The line that couldn't block an FCS team was the best line in college FB? If there wasn't politics involved in that I don't know what to think.

While you're not completely wrong, the 1,000 rusher thing gets way overplayed. Joe Moore award? The line that couldn't block an FCS team was the best line in college FB? If there wasn't politics involved in that I don't know what to think.

When you can get 2 1000 yard rushers on a team where the defense didn't even have to defend against the passing game is pretty impressive.

See above as to why Iowa won the Joe Moore award. There was nothing political about it, Joe Moore wasn't the one voting....

I thought the OL played better over the last 1/3 of the season but that award was a bit much. Watch Alabama vs Florida and then Iowa vs Florida (minus 5 defensive starters). The difference in the OL play is drastic. Alabama's QB struggles throwing the ball but they were still running off big plays. I think they averaged around 7 yards per rush in that game against Florida.

When you can get 2 1000 yard rushers on a team where the defense didn't even have to defend against the passing game is pretty impressive.

See above as to why Iowa won the Joe Moore award. There was nothing political about it, Joe Moore wasn't the one voting....
Not only did defenses not have to defend the pass, the short routes that were designed and called by GD actually helped defenses by basically allowing 9 in the box and the corners to only have to get about 8 yards of depth at any point in time. Might as well call it 11 in the box when they would have 3 wrs bunched within 6 yards of the tackles.

Latest posts