Oliver Martin update

Actually props are deserved. They managed to take a fringe top 1000 recruit all the way up to a lottery pick. All awhile Martin's measurables haven't changed much. It's not as if he has tremendous athletic upside. Just hard work, intelligence and soft hands. Still hope he chooses us. We usually do well with these kinds of kids.[/QUOTE]

He was MVP of the KC camp and the opening in Chicago and excellent measurables. At the national Opening in Oregon he measured very good against supposedly top competition. He has gone against top competition 3 times in camps within the past 6-8 months and was MVP of his position 2 of the 3 times.

Actually props are deserved. They managed to take a fringe top 1000 recruit all the way up to a lottery pick. All awhile Martin's measurables haven't changed much. It's not as if he has tremendous athletic upside. Just hard work, intelligence and soft hands. Still hope he chooses us. We usually do well with these kinds of kids.

He was MVP of the KC camp and the opening in Chicago and excellent measurables. At the national Opening in Oregon he measured very good against supposedly top competition. He has gone against top competition 3 times in camps within the past 6-8 months and was MVP of his position 2 of the 3 times.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure that his measurables are as good as you indicate. I personally have never seen combine like measurables released by these camps. However I have heard multiple times that his measurables don't stand out, but in fact it his his play that separates him. One recruiting expert from the Army All American game said "Don't sleep on Martin" you don't sleep on the kid with the top flight measurables. Mind you I am not trying to debate the talent of this young man, but I am of the impression that his skill is more on the intangible side, but unless you have cone drill, shuttle, 40 yard and vertical measurements to add then we will just have to disagree purely on opinion. Also the MVP awards are only based on performance. They don't hand them out to the best pure athlete. This only further supports my take that his game is advanced in the intangibles department.

He was MVP of the KC camp and the opening in Chicago and excellent measurables. At the national Opening in Oregon he measured very good against supposedly top competition. He has gone against top competition 3 times in camps within the past 6-8 months and was MVP of his position 2 of the 3 times.

I'm not sure that his measurables are as good as you indicate. I personally have never seen combine like measurables released by these camps. However I have heard multiple times that his measurables don't stand out, but in fact it his his play that separates him. One recruiting expert from the Army All American game said "Don't sleep on Martin" you don't sleep on the kid with the top flight measurables. Mind you I am not trying to debate the talent of this young man, but I am of the impression that his skill is more on the intangible side, but unless you have cone drill, shuttle, 40 yard and vertical measurements to add then we will just have to disagree purely on opinion. Also the MVP awards are only based on performance. They don't hand them out to the best pure athlete. This only further supports my take that his game is advanced in the intangibles department.[/QUOTE]
What I like about him more so then measurable is that he plays well... Against all those top flight corners in those camps he went to. I'm sure he's physically just middle of the packish amongst the other kids his size and bigger. But how well he runs routes/gets open/catches the ball are what separates him..

If I remember right he has good quickness, good vertical, decent speed 4.56 or something like that is his top 40. He has improved his 40 a lot over the last year. Great hands and knows how to get open.

I've seen him run agility drills. He was very fast and looked like he was on rails. It is hard to imagine someone being much faster or more accurate.

When you have a WR of this caliber in your own backyard that would be a huge target for Stanley it would be very sad not to get him. Oliver is the missing piece to the Hawkeye puzzle. For all of those that thinks Iowa isn't the place for him to make it to the pros I don't agree. Oliver could and would make a very big name for himself here being a Hawkeye. Now to get him to sign!

https://www.theopening.com/2016-chicago-results I believe the 4th highest at one of the largest camps last year. does that qualify as good measurable's? He was also the WR MVP of this camp beating several 4 star or better WR's.

Ya absolutely. Those are some pretty impressive numbers even without comparison to other WRs. 40 was serviceable.Needs a little work still. Shuttle time was awesome. 4.20 is considered NFL good and he shattered that. In my opinion Shuttle is one of the best indicators for fluid on field speed, agility and acceleration. He must have great hips. Bench Press was legit for a WR. Vertical was a notch above good for high schooler. Probably want to be 40 or above after college career. All in all those numbers definitely paint a different picture then what I have read previously. Thank you for the link and supporting your position with facts

When you have a WR of this caliber in your own backyard that would be a huge target for Stanley it would be very sad not to get him. Oliver is the missing piece to the Hawkeye puzzle. For all of those that thinks Iowa isn't the place for him to make it to the pros I don't agree. Oliver could and would make a very big name for himself here being a Hawkeye. Now to get him to sign!

Agreed. He could very well be a catalyst for a healthy passing game. Give him a year learning from MVB and he should be able to carry the torch. If we lose out on Martin then Brian Ferentz is the worst loser in this case. Trying to build back up your passing game sure would be easier with naturally gifted pass catchers. Although I also really really like Brandon Smith. Watch his senior highlights. Kid is money on fade lobs.
www.hudl.com/profile/2974838/brandon-smith

Martin is an elite athlete and I believe would have had the 4th highest rating (40 time, vertical leap, etc) of any NFL WR in last years draft but I'm sure people will still try to liken him to a 'Wes Welker type', he's not.

The reason we don't put NFL in the pros is because we don't recruit NFL talent at the position. In my opinion, it's a lot easier to coach up a lineman into an NFL player. A wide receiver is more about natural talent and hard work. If he comes here and is as good as advertized, he will get his shot just like McNutt did.

I don't see him coming here. The only reason he would is because he's a huge fan. If that was enough, he would have already known it, more than likely.

I don't see him coming here. The only reason he would is because he's a huge fan. If that was enough, he would have already known it, more than likely.

Who knows? He wouldn't be having this once-in-a-lifetime experience if he had committed (or even hinted) earlier.

We have no way of knowing what he is thinking. He may want to go to Iowa but also wants to check things out because he may, just may find he likes something better. Or is a better fit.

Martin is an elite athlete and I believe would have had the 4th highest rating (40 time, vertical leap, etc) of any NFL WR in last years draft but I'm sure people will still try to liken him to a 'Wes Welker type', he's not.

Maybe more like Julian Edelman then?

Latest posts