Oliver Martin update

I don't really care if he went to Columbus. An offer from OSU doesn't change his mind about the Hawks with his offer sheet. With UM, MSU, ND, etc, etc. an offer from any other school won't change his mind about the Hawks. Either he wants to stay in IC, or he doesn't. Everything else is moot.

I don't think this is going to end good.

I agree, I think he is headed to Michigan... I hope I am dead wrong, but I think this ones over boys and truth be told I don't know if the Hawks were truly ever in it or if Martin was just doing them a courtesy?

Like I said I hope I'm wrong, no inside info, just a gut feeling...

I reluctantly have to agree with you that Oliver Martin is probably going to leave home. I, like you, also don't have any inside info. Where's ICKE when we need him? He always seemed to have inside info.

I reluctantly have to agree with you that Oliver Martin is probably going to leave home. I, like you, also don't have any inside info. Where's ICKE when we need him? He always seemed to have inside info.

All his inside info came the day after it was all over twitter tho.

He can go to Michigan or tOSU and be red-shirted, then a backup for three years, after which time he might-MIGHT-have a chance to start his senior year OR come to Iowa, be a backup one year and probably start three years.

But a kid's gonna do what he's gonna do.

He can go to Michigan or tOSU and be red-shirted, then a backup for three years, after which time he might-MIGHT-have a chance to start his senior year OR come to Iowa, be a backup one year and probably start three years.

Just like Tyler Ulis

But at Michigan or OSU he'll be in an offense that can get him the ball and get him ready for the NFL. At Iowa he'll be in a Jr High offense from the 1980s. Regardless of where a kid is from, if they play QB or WR, going to Iowa is a foolish decision.

I agree, I think he is headed to Michigan... I hope I am dead wrong, but I think this ones over boys and truth be told I don't know if the Hawks were truly ever in it or if Martin was just doing them a courtesy?

Like I said I hope I'm wrong, no inside info, just a gut feeling...

The ultimate Michigan thing to do would be to let Harbaugh know that you are taking your final visit to Ohio State and then commit to Michigan. Maybe even make his commitment from Columbus! I could see Harbaugh orchestrating it.

Martin seems to classy for it, but it definitely sounds like something Harbaugh would love to see happen.

But at Michigan or OSU he'll be in an offense that can get him the ball and get him ready for the NFL. At Iowa he'll be in a Jr High offense from the 1980s. Regardless of where a kid is from, if they play QB or WR, going to Iowa is a foolish decision.

oh please! That's extreme.

For what it is worth - good friends of ours are big in the swimming arena and have spent a lot of time with the Martin family. Great family that is keeping it quiet. It's down to Iowa and Notre Dame. Swimming is a huge area for this family and Oliver (and his sister) are incredible swimmers.

Just to stoke the fire, if Iowa had offered him before he became the hot recruit, he would have given verbal and would not have wavered....so if he goes to ND, then not offering early what was close to home will hurt!

For what it is worth - good friends of ours are big in the swimming arena and have spent a lot of time with the Martin family. Great family that is keeping it quiet. It's down to Iowa and Notre Dame. Swimming is a huge area for this family and Oliver (and his sister) are incredible swimmers.

Just to stoke the fire, if Iowa had offered him before he became the hot recruit, he would have given verbal and would not have wavered....so if he goes to ND, then not offering early what was close to home will hurt!

Maybe he should have blossomed his Junior year then lol. I can't really knock the coaches much on this one. He just didn't have the tape the camps or the traction to get an early offer. Hindsight is always 20/20. We are running a business. We don't groom VP's straight out of the mail room, unless they are related of course. Sorry couldn't resist.

Maybe he should have blossomed his Junior year then lol. I can't really knock the coaches much on this one. He just didn't have the tape the camps or the traction to get an early offer. Hindsight is always 20/20. We are running a business. We don't groom VP's straight out of the mail room, unless they are related of course. Sorry couldn't resist.
I am sorry but this is exhibit A for why Iowa cannot land decent receiver talent. They have a knack for identifying talent almost everywhere BUT WR. This kid is in your back yard and ends up being a top 15 Receiver nationally and you whiff? He is 5k from your headquarters. That's on Iowa. Period. Hope it's moot and he ends up in black and gold!

If I'm not mistaken he is the state's all-time leading receiver in yards and TDs. He did this in the largest class of football played in Iowa. They had to know he had enough talent to be looked at. Chances are, since he wasn't getting a lot of national attention prior to the summer camps, they felt like they could just sit tight and then swoop in to steal him from UNI or his plethora of MAC-type offers. When he had back-to-back MVP showings at summer camps, the backyard secret was out and they had to offer. Now they just have to hope the hometown pull is great enough...

If I'm not mistaken he is the state's all-time leading receiver in yards and TDs. He did this in the largest class of football played in Iowa. They had to know he had enough talent to be looked at. Chances are, since he wasn't getting a lot of national attention prior to the summer camps, they felt like they could just sit tight and then swoop in to steal him from UNI or his plethora of MAC-type offers. When he had back-to-back MVP showings at summer camps, the backyard secret was out and they had to offer. Now they just have to hope the hometown pull is great enough...

That certainly is a possibility.

This is just an asinine comment.

Latest posts