Oliver Martin update

I think it's time for me to write Martin off. It seems clear to me that he was not content with the offers that he had previously and has been waiting for the OSU's, Bama's and Sooners to open up fall back scholarships. Now that OSU has come a calling. I no longer hold any hope.

I think it's time for me to write Martin off. It seems clear to me that he was not content with the offers that he had previously and has been waiting for the OSU's, Bama's and Sooners to open up fall back scholarships. Now that OSU has come a calling. I no longer hold any hope.
Or maybe he is not committing until he takes all of his visits, and taking extra careful consideration before making a decision that will impact the rest of his life. Seems like the smart thing to do to me. Everyone goes nuts when kids commit and then change their minds, so now we are going to go nuts if they don't commit fast enough? The kid is doing what he needs and wants to do. It sucks for us fans who are waiting, but good for him.

Last edited:
Or maybe he is not committing until he takes all of his visits, and taking extra careful consideration before making a decision that will impact the rest of his life. Seems like the smart thing to do to me. Everyone goes nuts when kids commit and then change their minds, so now we are going to go nuts if they don't commit fast enough? The kids is doing what he needs and wants to do. It sucks for us fans who are waiting, but good for him.

Well said.

Jerry Rice ran a 4.6. Funny, he was always open and no one caught him from behind.

Ditto on Jerry Rice or Fred Biletnikoff (who college award for best receiver is named after)... how you perform in pads and with someone across from you far more important.....

I'm still nervous on Oliver.. Part of me thinks he's taking all these visits prior to committing so he doesn't have a scholarship pulled.. But also part of me thinks he's taking all these visits because he's still very unsure.

I pray he chooses Iowa.. But completely understand that his position of play isn't normally an exciting spot in our Offense.

I'm still nervous on Oliver.. Part of me thinks he's taking all these visits prior to committing so he doesn't have a scholarship pulled.. But also part of me thinks he's taking all these visits because he's still very unsure.

I pray he chooses Iowa.. But completely understand that his position of play isn't normally an exciting spot in our Offense.

I hope that you have been tithing.

I know it's posted in this thread somewhere, but I'm too lazy to hunt for it. Is there a set date for his announcement?

I know it's posted in this thread somewhere, but I'm too lazy to hunt for it. Is there a set date for his announcement?

The only guess about his timing was the Army All-Star game in San Antonio, but I don't think he ever said anything about when he was going to make his announcement. He may just fax his letter and let the school announce it for him. I don't see him doing an ESPN special with a bunch of hats on a table.

Or maybe he is not committing until he takes all of his visits, and taking extra careful consideration before making a decision that will impact the rest of his life. Seems like the smart thing to do to me. Everyone goes nuts when kids commit and then change their minds, so now we are going to go nuts if they don't commit fast enough? The kid is doing what he needs and wants to do. It sucks for us fans who are waiting, but good for him.

I promise that my take on this situation is not a knee jerk reaction because of Martin taking his time. Everyone has said that Oliver doesn't like the spotlight, so Im assuming that is actually the case. Could you imagine putting yourself squarely into the spotlight for no reason. Well this is exactly what he has done. If he was truly trying to decide between 3 or 4 schools it seems extremely out of character to accept 5 new coaches and universities into that process. In my opinion behavior is driven by motivation. Martin's behavior suggests that his motivation would be to achieve an offer from a bigger fish in the pond. It's just my hunch. I hope like hell that I'm wrong.

I promise that my take on this situation is not a knee jerk reaction because of Martin taking his time. Everyone has said that Oliver doesn't like the spotlight, so Im assuming that is actually the case. Could you imagine putting yourself squarely into the spotlight for no reason. Well this is exactly what he has done. If he was truly trying to decide between 3 or 4 schools it seems extremely out of character to accept 5 new coaches and universities into that process. In my opinion behavior is driven by motivation. Martin's behavior suggests that his motivation would be to achieve an offer from a bigger fish in the pond. It's just my hunch. I hope like hell that I'm wrong.

This makes sense. I think Martin is considering the best opportunities that come his way. And the fact that he hasn't committed must be sending the message to other programs to come calling. It isn't like his family doesn't understand big time sports. They went through the Olympic trials last year. Since only UNI offered prior to his performances in the high profile camps, he probably doesn't feel as special in Iowa City as he expected (and deserved IMO). In his mind, the fact that Iowa didn't offer early may have opened the door much wider to all these other high profile opportunities. If Martin had been real cozy with Iowa from the outset, he might never have gotten so much attention from other big name schools.

Last edited:
Also I will note that choosing a college is not as big of a decision as you make it out to be. There are many a college students that had very limited choices due to financial limitations or academic ones. There are only a handful of institutions that a degree from alters perception. None of which are in Martin's consideration.

This makes sense. I think Martin is considering the best opportunities that come his way. And the fact that he hasn't committed must be sending the message to other programs to come calling. It isn't like his family doesn't understand big time sports. They went through the Olympic trials last year. Since only UNI offered prior to his performances in the high profile camps, he probably doesn't feel as special in Iowa City as he expected (and deserved IMO). In his mind, the fact that Iowa didn't offer early may have opened the door much wider to all these other high profile opportunities.

I would agree. It does seem that Martin feels he has something to prove. Hence even worse for us. Much better chances for one of the elite programs.

Also I will note that choosing a college is not as big of a decision as you make it out to be. There are many a college students that had very limited choices due to financial limitations or academic ones. There are only a handful of institutions that a degree from alters perception. None of which are in Martin's consideration.
He is no ordinary college student. I'm assuming he hopes to make millions of dollars playing football. He has a lot to consider when making the choice. He may love Iowa, but he has to ask, can I get to the next level playing receiver here? He may feel other colleges can help him more with that. But then he has to consider if he wants to be so far from home? How soon will he get to play? Does he like the coaches/culture? What about academics? There are 100s of things for a football player to consider. As mentioned above, he didn't have all these options before the camps. It's a lot to consider, so he's taking his time. It makes sense, it is a monster decision. He may decide it's best for his future to go somewhere else. Not because he's mad at Iowa, but because that's what he knows is best for him. And nobody should fault him for that. If he ends up here, great for us, I think we would be getting a solid kid.

Urb's going to see him tomorrow. Gonna be hard to turn Pope Urban down.
"I've been a Hawk fan all of my life, it's been a dream to play for my home state team. So while I am flattered to receive an offer from Ohio State, I'm unfortunately going to have to decline."

See, not so hard. If he's going to jack around and he's still not sure if he wants to be a Hawk, honestly it's time to let him do him. Let's find some players that want to be here.

He is no ordinary college student. I'm assuming he hopes to make millions of dollars playing football. He has a lot to consider when making the choice. He may love Iowa, but he has to ask, can I get to the next level playing receiver here? He may feel other colleges can help him more with that. But then he has to consider if he wants to be so far from home? How soon will he get to play? Does he like the coaches/culture? What about academics? There are 100s of things for a football player to consider. As mentioned above, he didn't have all these options before the camps. It's a lot to consider, so he's taking his time. It makes sense, it is a monster decision. He may decide it's best for his future to go somewhere else. Not because he's mad at Iowa, but because that's what he knows is best for him. And nobody should fault him for that. If he ends up here, great for us, I think we would be getting a solid kid.

"He didn't have all these options before camps" This quote is the heart of my opinion. I think his family is very savy. They played the cards close to the vest. If Martin had said he was an Iowa/Notre Dame/MSU lean. Some of these other schools might not have even bothered coming out of the wood work. Oliver Martin is now one of the hottest recruiting stories. He is "trending". Now he is getting love from the biggest of blue bloods. I am quite certain this is not by accident. It appears to have been by clever design. Well played by the Martins. I'm not even mad at them. They owe nothing to Iowa. Actually props are deserved. They managed to take a fringe top 1000 recruit all the way up to a lottery pick. All awhile Martin's measurables haven't changed much. It's not as if he has tremendous athletic upside. Just hardwork, intelligence and soft hands. Still hope he chooses us. We usually do well with these kinds of kids.

"He didn't have all these options before camps" This quote is the heart of my opinion. I think his family is very savy. They played the cards close to the vest. If Martin had said he was an Iowa/Notre Dame/MSU lean. Some of these other schools might not have even bothered coming out of the wood work. Oliver Martin is now one of the hottest recruiting stories. He is "trending". Now he is getting love from the biggest of blue bloods. I am quite certain this is not by accident. It appears to have been by clever design. Well played by the Martins. I'm not even mad at them. They owe nothing to Iowa. Actually props are deserved. They managed to take a fringe top 1000 recruit all the way up to a lottery pick. All awhile Martin's measurables haven't changed much. It's not as if he has tremendous athletic upside. Just hardwork, intelligence and soft hands. Still hope he chooses us. We usually do well with these kinds of kids.

Generally I agree. Except that I don't think they orchestrated all of this (or even anticipated it). I think an early offer to stay in Iowa City might have changed things alot. However, once he blew up before he had the offer, it only made sense to ride the wave as far as it took him. And you are right that it seems that he and his family are very savvy.

Latest posts