Oliver Martin update

Auburn & Martin .............

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/01/auburn_recruiting_oliver_marti.html

Seems to me a program that just approaches him with an offer in the last couple weeks and is now being considered for a visit at this late stage would indicate Iowa has no more advantage landing him than anyone else and maybe less at this stage. Wouldn't be surprised if Iowa is now getting more serious about other candidates.

Why not take a look at it? From the sounds of another interview though, he wasn't even sure if he would take a visit. Pretty sure this is coming down to ND, MSU and Iowa.

He can't really be considering Iowa with the other offers on the table. ALL the other offers are more attractive for a WR.

I don't see how we can keep this guy from teams like MSU or Auburn after going 8-5 and getting blown out in a bowl game.

Just to be clear, you're going to be super pissed if an 18 year old kid makes a life decision that doesn't benefit you. I agree that we need WR help real bad but it's not worth it to put your happiness in the hands of 18-22 year olds
yes, I will be super pissed. It means we once again miss out on a top notch recruit in our back yard, a top notch recruit at a position we are sorely lacking. If he were an offensive lineman or a te or any other position for that matter I really wouldn't care much but if we don't get wide receiver help soon we are stuck with the same old crappy offense we've had for the past few years.

yes, I will be super pissed. It means we once again miss out on a top notch recruit in our back yard, a top notch recruit at a position we are sorely lacking. If he were an offensive lineman or a te or any other position for that matter I really wouldn't care much but if we don't get wide receiver help soon we are stuck with the same old crappy offense we've had for the past few years.
If you were a top notch WR in any year of the Ferentz or Fry era, would you want to play in an offense that uses 2 TE's, a FB and runs 65% of the time? It's not like Greg Davis is saying, "welp, I would love to run 5 wide and throw the ball down field on 1st down but Oliver Martin hasn't committed yet." That high schooler is going to make the best decision for him and his future, not for us and our future.

I was talking about Auburn, they just had a successful season and a really good showing in the New Years Six Bowl. There is no way we can compete with programs that have that level of success when we are stuck at 8-5 and get blown out by any good team we play..

He said Iowa's coaching staff has moved on, not that Martin has moved on. Hope it's not true but it's plausible.
I checked my sources and that's still what I'm hearing. He isn't going to be at Iowa.

I'm hearing Tyrice Richie, currently committed to Northern Illinois, is on our staff's radar.

He can't really be considering Iowa with the other offers on the table. ALL the other offers are more attractive for a WR.
Well Michigan does already have a bunch of good WRs on the roster already plus 2 or 3 higher rated ones for this class. So as far as playing time goes he'd have a ton of competition to see the field there.... The other schools I'm not as sure about their rosters or current recruiting classes.
All in all Iowa is a bad fit for him..... Unless if say he came and at some point Davis does leave (he don't have 4-5 more years no way) and they get a more open passing game going. I think a lot of us agree Stanley has potential. So staying home being a Timmy Dwight kind of hero has some kind of value to it I would think... I just hope he looks 3 and 4 yrs ahead not just to next yr....

If I were him, if I didn't go to Iowa, I'd go to Auburn over all those other offers for sure.

I'm impressed by the way that Martin is playing the recruiting game his own way and for his own interests. For all we know, he has already told the staff that he hopes to stay in Iowa City, but is going to enjoy the process of official visits. It is risky, but it seems likely that he will be able to land on his feet in a good situation. And he probably has lots of other factors in mind, such as academics and institutional fit, that are more important to him than lots of others who are pretty much just going to college for football.

Latest posts