Oliver Martin update

From the article.
He said offensive fit, coaching staff, past success and facilities will all play into his final decision.
No doubt he will start right away but will he want to play in our offense? Is he the type of player you can change your offensive philosophy for. Will the coaching staff even do that if he is? Seems to me that the only times we have changed offensive philosophy is out of necessity because of injury.

No, the instability of the coaching staff will probably lead him to the SEC where the coaches are well tenured gentlemen who keep their jobs safely for five years into the future after any given season.

Why did Martin play in the game at San Antonio? The event seems to be staged for prospects to make their announcements. Making a few plays in that game is nothing to add to his resume. He already is getting top college offers. In this age of limiting liability, I don't know why he would risk injury. What did he have to gain by playing?

I think its about meeting the other recruits, the free trip to San Antonio with family, and the mystery in the basement of the Alamo.

Maybe we should hire Martin's coach or blood relative as the "10th assistant" that teams can hire now. Couldn't hurt, and it's better than a punt game coordinator ;-) (p.s. I am being sarcastic for those who may take this post seriously).

Why did Martin play in the game at San Antonio? The event seems to be staged for prospects to make their announcements. Making a few plays in that game is nothing to add to his resume. He already is getting top college offers. In this age of limiting liability, I don't know why he would risk injury. What did he have to gain by playing?

A good memory. Some people don't live their life in fear.

A good memory. Some people don't live their life in fear.

Yeah, I suppose, particularly if this was the only "all-star game" he has played in. They did have a great collection of players, lots of whom had already made commitments to top schools.

Is there any interview with him talking about his experience there?

He grew up in Iowa city. He has made his official visit. He came to numerous games this year. He has seen his offer list grow and then shrink a bit as other program's classes filled. I'm assuming that Iowa has stayed consistent in his recruitment. He still hasn't made a decision and has decided to look at other schools. What else do we have to offer this kid? If he hasn't bought into us by now, doesn't it seem like he won't?

Hope I'm wrong.

Martin is not coming to Iowa. Period. He's been to campus how many times? 20 or so? There's nothing left for him to see and he still hasn't committed. Unless Brian can convince him we're gonna throw his way early and often he gone.

Martin is not coming to Iowa. Period. He's been to campus how many times? 20 or so? There's nothing left for him to see and he still hasn't committed. Unless Brian can convince him we're gonna throw his way early and often he gone.

Thanks for the inside information.

I just hope the kid has the foresight to look ahead 3-4 yrs. I think he would be used a ton under Brian and have a heck of a career here. So many kids want to look at the next yr. Will they play right away or not. Well at Iowa he wouldn't have to worry about if his coaches will be there. The two main ones are locked in for his whole career that can't be said about well just about anywhere else really. Not many people more so than Brian would like to see the hometown kid stay and be a hometown hero... Hope he can relay that to him and he'll want to stay. We'll just have to see. Get Timmy D to help recruit him already too geez. If he were to go to Auburn or ND he'd just be another WR to plug through... I'll guarantee you both of those schools are going to be changing coaches within 5 yrs. Maybe even Michigan depending on if Harbaugh wants another crack at the NFL... He's such a wild card.

Last edited:

Latest posts