Oliver Martin to Michigan

Agree to disagree. We offered well before Michigan and kept recruiting Martin hard while Michigan backed off for a while. This wasn't a timing issue.

It wasn't that Iowa offered before Michigan. It was that Iowa didn't offer very early. For whatever reason, he didn't impress them, even though they had tons of information about him and opportunity to do so. I think it might have been a totally different story if he had gotten locked up early with an offer. He went to local camps before he blew up on the national scene, but the only offer was from UNI. The fact that Iowa didn't offer until he had blown up and was getting all the other offers seems to have changed things.

It wasn't that Iowa offered before Michigan. It was that Iowa didn't offer very early. For whatever reason, he didn't impress them, even though they had tons of information about him and opportunity to do so. I think it might have been a totally different story if he had gotten locked up early with an offer. He went to local camps before he blew up on the national scene, but the only offer was from UNI. The fact that Iowa didn't offer until he had blown up and was getting all the other offers seems to have changed things.
That and Iowa also had commitments from higher rated WRs who, after Oliver's higher ranking emerged, ultimately de-committed.

That and Iowa also had commitments from higher rated WRs who, after Oliver's higher ranking emerged, ultimately de-committed.

Yes, there may have been many reasons. The bottom line is that I think Iowa could have gotten him if they had made the offer before he blew up nationally. I don't think that Martin changed that much during the summer. It was just that others started noticing and giving him offers. By then, the Oliver was out of the bag.

Yes, there may have been many reasons. The bottom line is that I think Iowa could have gotten him if they had made the offer before he blew up nationally. I don't think that Martin changed that much during the summer. It was just that others started noticing and giving him offers. By then, the Oliver was out of the bag.
Are you saying we're poor, little ole' Iowa and can't get the bigger-time recruits?

Are you saying we're poor, little ole' Iowa and can't get the bigger-time recruits?

All I'm saying is that Martin was there for the "taking," but he didn't get an offer when he was inclined to take it. He could have been wrapped up without ever having to compete with other schools. In the end, there was competition and Michigan won this one.

I think the reference is that you are a KF mouthpiece, therefore, since you don't want Oliver, he must not be able to block downfield, first, since you mirror KF's football 'acumen':p

Did not want was sarcasm.

I Am not a KF mouthpiece any more than you are a Cyclone fan since you hate all things Iowa.

He'll play at Michigan. But I agree, next man in. He didn't want to be here. Michigan stopped recruiting him, jumped back in and still got him.
Correct - he and his old man did not want to be here and were always looking for something bigger and better. But, hey, he had no problem coming to all of those games this year!

Correct - he and his old man did not want to be here and were always looking for something bigger and better. But, hey, he had no problem coming to all of those games this year!

Not sure that this is true. Didn't Oliver say something in an interview about saying that he might have committed to Iowa if they had offered early? Maybe he would have just used it to try to get better offers, but that was one of the few statements that seemed to give personal insight into the situation, so I take it at face value.

I'm assuming the Martin was back in Iowa City on Monday, so this video had to be taken while he was in Ann Arbor over the weekend. Apparently no one else was in the pool area, locker room, or viewing area. You have to think that Harbaugh with a top recruit would have attracted quite a bit of attention. Michigan did a great job of keeping it under wraps until Martin released the video.

All I'm saying is that Martin was there for the "taking," but he didn't get an offer when he was inclined to take it. He could have been wrapped up without ever having to compete with other schools. In the end, there was competition and Michigan won this one.
...Without competition from other big-time schools, Oliver may have become a Hawkeye? Have you ever wondered if MAC schools and Mo. Valley schools, for example, consider themselves poor, little 'ole, too?

How much did it hurt Iowa that we haven't named a WR coach and how did they play into his decision not to attend Iowa? Listening to Chuck Long he said players spend 90% of their time with their position coach.

I'm just surprised Iowa didn't name at least the WR coach prior to signing day!

After watching Michigan this year I see that a couple of freshman have played. It looks like OM is being buried and won't see any playing time in the near future. Do you suppose OM got caught up in all the JH hype bull crap and really never looked at the whole picture? I'm glad he went to Michigan if he really didn't want to be a Hawkeye. The receivers we now have will work out just fine. I still think he'll switch to the swim team.

After watching Michigan this year I see that a couple of freshman have played. It looks like OM is being buried and won't see any playing time in the near future. Do you suppose OM got caught up in all the JH hype bull crap and really never looked at the whole picture? I'm glad he went to Michigan if he really didn't want to be a Hawkeye. The receivers we now have will work out just fine. I still think he'll switch to the swim team.

Michigan is a good university but I was always skeptical that he would actually play much. He obviously didn't want to be a Hawkeye, which is fine, so I'd prefer we just let him be, and focus on the guys who want to be here, and didn't just drag us along with no intention of signing.

Yes. Kids are impressionable and Harbaugh plays up to that. Martin was the 4th highest recruit in Michigan's class last year, if Michigan lands some solid WR's in this years class he may never see the field there. Good decision.

Latest posts