Oliver Martin at Michigan BBQ Today

If you read the 'article' you'd know there's nothing inside that sounds the least bit encouraging. The 'article' was only a slight expansion of the headline.

Where did I say it was an "encouraging article"?

My crystal ball still says "Hawks" tho.

Where did I say it was an "encouraging article"?

My crystal ball still says "Hawks" tho.

I'm not going to call BGOLD a troll because I haven't seen enough of his work, but this thread certainly at least throws up some red flags. A true Hawk fan would want this kid, yet everything he has posted has been negative.

I'm not going to call BGOLD a troll because I haven't seen enough of his work, but this thread certainly at least throws up some red flags. A true Hawk fan would want this kid, yet everything he has posted has been negative.

What are you talking about? I said I hoped Deanvogs was right, and we land Martin. There's reason for skepticism though. Michigan is the Roy Williams of stealing talented Iowa receivers; Arrington and Darboh.
If pointing out that Mark Emmert and Chad Leistikow, two reporters who would have any inside scoop if there was one to be had give Iowa just a 20% chance of landing Martin is trolling you need to revisit that word and its meaning.

What are you talking about? I said I hoped Deanvogs was right, and we land Martin. There's reason for skepticism though. Michigan is the Roy Williams of stealing talented Iowa receivers; Arrington and Darboh.
If pointing out that Mark Emmert and Chad Leistikow, two reporters who would have any inside scoop if there was one to be had give Iowa just a 20% chance of landing Martin is trolling you need to revisit that word and its meaning.

Leistikow and Emmert are reporters, they aren't recruiting guys like a Howe or Kakart is. When it comes to HS recruits, Howe and Kakart and the many recruiting site guys have a much firmer grasp on kids than a Leistikow or Emmert have.

That said, Leistikow, Emmert, Howe, or Kakart don't know where he is going, I don't know where he is going, he is very tight lipped and keeps things close to the vest. I still think that since he is a Hawk fan, and the further away the sting of getting the offer later than he wanted wears down, he will eventually pick the Hawks.

Oh and BTW I don't think Michigan will be the problem, I think it comes down to Oregon, MSU and Iowa. Martin just doesn't strike me as the type to fall in love with "Harbaugh's" antics.

Leistikow and Emmert are reporters, they aren't recruiting guys like a Howe or Kakart is. When it comes to HS recruits, Howe and Kakart and the many recruiting site guys have a much firmer grasp on kids than a Leistikow or Emmert have.

That said, Leistikow, Emmert, Howe, or Kakart don't know where he is going, I don't know where he is going, he is very tight lipped and keeps things close to the vest. I still think that since he is a Hawk fan, and the further away the sting of getting the offer later than he wanted wears down, he will eventually pick the Hawks.

Oh and BTW I don't think Michigan will be the problem, I think it comes down to Oregon, MSU and Iowa. Martin just doesn't strike me as the type to fall in love with "Harbaugh's" antics.

Further away from the sting of getting a late offer will help for sure. Angerer was on a podcast and they asked him if it bothered him when iowa wasn't offering and he said it bothered him seeing other kids get offered over him that he thought were "pussies". It made me think of all the out of state offers that kept going out to receivers before Martin. I figure hard feelings over something like that would go away pretty fast. If he ever even had them.

Do we know if Harbaugh spelled his name right? I've heard that and a thank you card to a BBQ that was never attended is a great way to lose a recruit.

Fair enough. Martin is a different story than those two, though. Darboh and Arrington had zero ties to Iowa and weren't from Iowa City. Iowa didn't already have a foot in the door with them so to speak.

Fair enough. Martin is a different story than those two, though. Darboh and Arrington had zero ties to Iowa and weren't from Iowa City. Iowa didn't already have a foot in the door with them so to speak.

Arrington was 20 minutes outside of Iowa City so he definitely had some ties to Iowa.
Hope Martin winds up a Hawk but I have an uneasy feeling. Could just be the rumblings from other Iowa fans who are in slight panic mode.
Unlike some posters here I'm not chalking him up as a commit just because he's from Iowa City and may have grown up an Iowa fan - if it was his dream to play for Iowa he'd have committed by now. He seems to be giving every school a fair shake and not giving Iowa any home field advantage.

I'll take his showing up at a recent Iowa practice as a positive sign that we're still in contention. You would think in the end that location and the opportunity for early playing time might be enough to tip the scales in our favor. Some of the recent FB news coming out of MI and ND can't hurt.

http://allhawkeyes.com/2016/08/oliv...-in-the-mix-but-not-ready-to-make-a-decision/

According to Martin the hometown Hawkeyes will factor into his decision.

“They are definitely in the mix,” Martin said of Iowa. “I’ve got it kind of narrowed down and Iowa is definitely in it. I know that Iowa is a great option and living here my whole life I know it’s a great tradition here.”

The kid is a cool customer. I think he will do well at the used car dealership.

Arrington had ties to Michigan. He was a Michigan fan from early on and had Michigan gear. Just because someone lives 20-30 miles away does not mean they are fan automatically of that school. He talked about it several times during the recruiting process.

Arrington had ties to Michigan. He was a Michigan fan from early on and had Michigan gear. Just because someone lives 20-30 miles away does not mean they are fan automatically of that school. He talked about it several times during the recruiting process.

Not to mention that Cedar Rapids, while close to Iowa City, really has no ties to Iowa City. We've seen this plenty of times with athletes coming out of Cedar Rapids. They are usually wild cards as far as where they end up.

Latest posts