Olaseni to Redshirt next year?

I am thinking this may make it more likely ingram would redshirt either his soph or junior yr...especially if jok can be a contributor as a frosh. That would even things out more and we still have the same depth for next yr and the following yr.

Let guys like Ingram and Olesani keep their careers going without redshirting. Just out recruit them. Fran has proven he can bring in top 100 talent. Id assume he will start doing this every year.

I can't help but wonder if Ingram will not transfer out after this season. He came here to play one would think if he would accept a red shirt that he would have accepted one this season.

I think after sitting this season out, next year Uthoff and Meyer are just gonna be chomping at the bit to play and impress. It will be a challenge to find playing time for everyone.

Uthoff will probably go off on some unlucky non conference teams after watching from sidelines for 2 years.

I can't help but wonder if Ingram will not transfer out after this season. He came here to play one would think if he would accept a red shirt that he would have accepted one this season.

That assumes the choice was presented to him before this season.

Let guys like Ingram and Olesani keep their careers going without redshirting. Just out recruit them. Fran has proven he can bring in top 100 talent. Id assume he will start doing this every year.

I could buy this with Ingram. With Olaseni, I think his potential is too high. He's a guy who redshirting could pay huge dividends. With Ingram, maybe not, IDK. But Gabe has the kind of size/athleticism combo Iowa hasn't had in quite some time; he's just raw in terms of basketball skills, but he's already making rapid improvement in that area.

Spank, couldn't this simply be a numbers game? Can we assume that Olaseni and Meyer will be competing for the same minutes that Olaseni is getting this year? If you didn't R.S. Olaseni (Meyer has used his) then doesn't it equal wasting a season for Olaseni; not really going to take minutes from Basabe, Woody, McCabe?

Plus, Olaseni could maybe put on 10-15 lbs and become an athletic bruiser that can also shoot from 10-15 feet?

I think it has everything to do with number of minutes available, scholarships, development, etc....I think it is a great idea, especially if Gabe is in favor of it.

I've had the same thought. His body language doesn't seem to be real good and it appeared he was just going through the motions at the end of yesterday's game. I know it's garbage time but our lone scholarship senior was on the floor and taking it seriously.

TWO THINGS I DON'T BELIEVE FOR A SECOND:

(1) I don't believe for a second that Olaseni will redshirt next year. Not necessarily a bad idea, I just don't think it will happen.

(2) I don't believe for a second that Woodbury will leave for the NBA after his junior year. Just don't see it for a number of reasons.

Again, I refer back to Lohaus. He turned into a star that 5th year...when redshirting after his sophomore season. He then played 11 years in the NBA.

Agree with Tork. Players like Marble, Gesell, Ingram, and Woody have probably been playing organized basketball for 10 years. Gabe I believe about 5, so a redshirt year to get more practice and coaching could really benefit him and this team. He has raw athletic skills that need to be adapted to the game, and only experience and repetition will get him there. I think he will really mature as a player with an extra year.

I think it's a great idea with Uthoff coming in I'm assuming Fran is penciling him into the starting lineup at 3 and moving white to the 4. Which creates a cluster at the 4 and 5. If Uthoff starts at the 3 we would have Woodbury/White/McCabe/Basabe/Meyer/Olaseni all fighting for the 4/5 minutes with White only one really capable of taking some 3 minutes. If he redshirts then we we'll have him at 2 years without McCabe and Basabe which means both their minutes go up next year which I think they deserve and Olaseni minutes go heavily the last 2 years as the top backup big man.

If he redshirts lineup look like this
1 Gessell/Clemmons
2 Marble/Jok/Ogelsby/Ingram
3 Uthoff/Jok/
4White/Basabe/McCabe
5Woodbury/McCabe/Meyer

I think it's a great idea with Uthoff coming in I'm assuming Fran is penciling him into the starting lineup at 3 and moving white to the 4. Which creates a cluster at the 4 and 5. If Uthoff starts at the 3 we would have Woodbury/White/McCabe/Basabe/Meyer/Olaseni all fighting for the 4/5 minutes with White only one really capable of taking some 3 minutes. If he redshirts then we we'll have him at 2 years without McCabe and Basabe which means both their minutes go up next year which I think they deserve and Olaseni minutes go heavily the last 2 years as the top backup big man.

If he redshirts lineup look like this
1 Gessell/Clemmons
2 Marble/Jok/Ogelsby/Ingram
3 Uthoff/Jok/
4White/Basabe/McCabe
5Woodbury/McCabe/Meyer

I tend to agree. Though I don't feel White can play the 3 for a lot of minutes he will still be at the 3 some and Marble will play the 3 too. Clemmons move to the bench has me thinking that next yr we will see 1 of 2 lineups.

1) Gesell
2) Marble
3) Uthoff
4) White
5) Woodbury

or

1) Gesell
2) Marble
3) White
4) Basabe
5) Woodbury

The 1st I believe is better as it would have Basabe as the scorer and energy guy off the bench, but the way he is playing it might be hard to take him out of the starting lineup. I don't really see Ingram breaking through next year. Maybe when Marble and Ogelsby are gone he will get some good minutes off the bench but I think he could use a redshirt year to maximize his game.

TWO THINGS I DON'T BELIEVE FOR A SECOND:

(1) I don't believe for a second that Olaseni will redshirt next year. Not necessarily a bad idea, I just don't think it will happen.

(2) I don't believe for a second that Woodbury will leave for the NBA after his junior year. Just don't see it for a number of reasons.

two is correct. There is no way woody leaves early. At this point I wouldn't even call him a lock to get drafted. For him to play in the league he is going to need to develop a jumper from 15 and an outstanding half court game.

two is correct. There is no way woody leaves early. At this point I wouldn't even call him a lock to get drafted. For him to play in the league he is going to need to develop a jumper from 15 and an outstanding half court game.

I agree, I like Woody and I am glad he is a hawkeye but he plays so small. He needs to get vertical more. He gets blocked by guys he shouldn't because his vertical isn't that good.

Not saying he won't get better, stronger but he has a long ways to go. I mean there is a reason he was a top 50 player, he just needs to find his game and continue to work hard.

I agree, I like Woody and I am glad he is a hawkeye but he plays so small. He needs to get vertical more. He gets blocked by guys he shouldn't because his vertical isn't that good.

Not saying he won't get better, stronger but he has a long ways to go. I mean there is a reason he was a top 50 player, he just needs to find his game and continue to work hard.

Woodbury was more aggressive the last two games than I have ever seen him, but yesterday he didn't seem to play so short, he had good arm extension on about everything he was doing.

Woodbury is going to have a great career at Iowa and be one of the most polished Centers ever to play at Iowa. People will change their attitude as his career goes about how good he really is. The glaring weakness in his game is his strength and conditioning, once he gets that solved he is too good fundamentally to not become a great player.

Woodbury was more aggressive the last two games than I have ever seen him, but yesterday he didn't seem to play so short, he had good arm extension on about everything he was doing.

Woodbury is going to have a great career at Iowa and be one of the most polished Centers ever to play at Iowa. People will change their attitude as his career goes about how good he really is. The glaring weakness in his game is his strength and conditioning, once he gets that solved he is too good fundamentally to not become a great player.

agree. i think Woody will be a special player in a couple years. hopefully sooner than that, but big guys can take awhile to develop. he's really impressed me so far this year. wasn't expecting much from him at all.

I think Woodbury is solid and will be better next year but he will not be a force and a guy who can score down low consistently in conference play. I think hes 2 years away

Woodbury is a better post up option than Gabe though.

I don't think this team needs Gabe to be successful next year, i think they will still have plenty of options and if Fran decides to do this I take it a sign that he is confident in Myer to provide just as much as Gabe.

The payoff could be huge.

agree. i think Woody will be a special player in a couple years. hopefully sooner than that, but big guys can take awhile to develop. he's really impressed me so far this year. wasn't expecting much from him at all.

I think people look at the offensive end far too much. Woodbury has made a difference on defense, he contests shots and hedges on picks very well. The offensive end will come, you can see the parts there and when he hit the jumper the other night, it was another part of his game that you haven't seen.

Woodbury works very hard and some of the mistakes he was making on defense he isn't making now as he gets stronger he is going to be a major force. I understand why he was as highly rated as he was.

Latest posts