Olaseni to Redshirt next year?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Rick Brown of the Register tweeted at me, after I was talking about Olaseni's growth as of late:

"Don't be surprised if Olaseni redshirts next year"

Rick is one of the best, and while I don't know what his relationships are like with this staff, I know that he is typically pretty connected and he's not one to toss things against the wall to see if something can stick.

That would be great news for the program's future as I just think he has a great deal of upside.

Rick Brown of the Register tweeted at me, after I was talking about Olaseni's growth as of late:

"Don't be surprised if Olaseni redshirts next year"

Rick is one of the best, and while I don't know what his relationships are like with this staff, I know that he is typically pretty connected and he's not one to toss things against the wall to see if something can stick.

That would be great news for the program's future as I just think he has a great deal of upside.

I have been thinking that all season long.

I wouldn't be surprised either and think it would help him AND the Hawkeyes in the future...I was surprised (I wasn't the only one) when he wasn't redshirted last year. With Meyer coming off of a RS the Hawks won't lose any height and Gabe can get another year of development under his belt.

Win/Win

Assuming Meyer can come in and provide some BIG... minutes for the BIGS... it may be better than just OK.

Assuming Woody continues to progress the next two years.. 9 points, 7 rebounds, 1 block and 1 assist next year. Jr year he breaks out to 13 points, 10 points and 1.2 blocks and 1.5 assists and then turns pro.

Gabe and Meyer will be needed along with some other bigs Fran recruits and brings into the program.

From just hearing him talk, it wouldn't surprise me at all. He seems like he wants to learn and get better and will do whatever it takes.

So why would we want to do this?

Next year Woodbury will still be raw and I am expecting Meyer will not be ready to contribute much. Utoff can maybe play some 4 I guess but it isnt like we have a lot of front line depth right now. Olaseni has played some good minutes for this team...I am not seeing where we have the luxury to sit him for a year.

What am I missing? Maybe I am underestimating Meyers ability

Before this year I thought it was a bad idea to red shirt him because he was just going to get recruited over anyway. After seeing his progress I think it might be a good idea. He might be an absolute beast in 3 years.

Next year Woodbury will still be raw and I am expecting Meyer will not be ready to contribute much. Utoff can maybe play some 4 I guess but it isnt like we have a lot of front line depth right now. Olaseni has played some good minutes for this team...I am not seeing where we have the luxury to sit him for a year.

Maybe because you forget and discount Mel and McCabe from providing some BIG Time minutes for the BIGS.

Olaseni's potential kind of reminds me of Cyrus Tate a bit. Great improvement by his senior year. Maybe a similar path?

Im not sure you could say Woodbury will be raw. Hes not really raw right now just weak.

I think Woodbury should be allot better next year.

White Basabe McCabe and Woodbury can all easily handle more minutes than they're currently getting too, and really they deserve more minutes.

Myer should be decent enough to play the few left over minutes.

I don't think this would be a bad thing. I would prefer that the classes stay pretty balanced but I think it will be a wash anyway as I think woodbury will leave after his jr yr...so it would be like they are switching classes eventhough they would be in the same class.

This actually makes a lot of sense. Basabe has had a reemergence. Uthoff will allow for more depth at the 3 and 4 spots. White can play both and some at the 5. If meyer can do what gabe is doing now than it is completely worth it. Plus we still have mccabe for 1 more yr and there is actually enough depth for it to work out.

Im not sure you could say Woodbury will be raw. Hes not really raw right now just weak.

I think Woodbury should be allot better next year.

White Basabe McCabe and Woodbury can all easily handle more minutes than they're currently getting too, and really they deserve more minutes.

Myer should be decent enough to play the few left over minutes.

My point is we are adding no bigs outside of an unproven RS Frosh...so we will have the same front court that is undersized and now we are removing our most athletic player from that front court. I just dont get it

I like the idea but it takes a special player to be able to redshirt his junior year. Most players would hear this and want to transfer asap. Even if they wouldn't be able to play at the new college right away, it would be to emotionally tough for them. I hope he is able to do that and it would be great for the program in the years to come.

Woodbury has been getting stronger and having an edge to him of late. And White has surprised me with his defense in the paint. Basabe has been the Wasabe that we expected. So if Meyer or Uthoff could come in and help, I think we would be just fine. Plus that would allow us to have Gabe for two more years after McCabe and Basabe are gone.

Latest posts