Olaseni is visiting

Section136

Rivals shows that Gabe Olaseni is visiting on March 25. Also says that we have offered Georges Niang, who is a forward out of New Hampshire in the class of 2012.

Niang will be visiting next week, after an unoffical to ISU as well. I said it in an earlier thread, it's weird that for the first time in a while our coaches are targetting the same dudes and they happen to be east coasters.

Gotta wonder if East Coast guys have a different perception flying into Des Moines and driving up to Ames, and flying into Cedar Rapids and driving down to IC.

Gotta wonder if East Coast guys have a different perception flying into Des Moines and driving up to Ames, and flying into Cedar Rapids and driving down to IC.
Since Olaseni is playing ball in KS now, I don't think the Iowa terrain is going to be much of a surprise to him.

Brewster Prep produces players for many schools. ISU seems to milk that school well.
Not sure what the dynamic is for procuring recruits from an established prep school like Brewster,ie..whether it ever steers recruits to certain schools or what. Is it TJ whatshisname from ISU that knows people out there?

I know I am biased,but I honestly do not see what kind of allure there could possibly be to a recruit to come to ISU.
The conference just shrunk,and its future is still somewhat uncertain.
ISU has been bad in bb in recent years.
Their facilities are ok,but Hilton is aging.
Academically, they are solid,but slanted toward science and engineering,not liberal arts that most bb players pursue.
Hoiberg has never coached til this year,and yes, he has the NBA background,but it is not like he was ever a household name.
The campus,city and climate are nothing special.

Now, I know our ISU friends would say the same about Iowa,and some would be true.
But, Fran has a long history of success in college coaching on the east coast.
Iowa's facilities are better now that the new practice building is nearing completion.
The campus and town are better,by all objective observers.
The Big Ten is surging upward, with schools vying to be selected last summer,with the most money in TV contracts, the largest attendance in bb and fb, the most alumni, and its own TV network that is in 80 million homes.

Now, Iowa has been bad in bb also, so that equals out with ISU.
I guess it might come down to style of play in the conference or admission standards,but I have a nephew who went to ISU for engineering and it seemed very tough to him.
I understand all the Big Ten refugees seeing ISU as attractive since it is still ''midwest'' in locale,and willing to take them, but prep players? Guess those recruiters have some real silver tongues.

According to Rivals, Olaseni has offers from Auburn, Ole Miss and Xavier.

At this point, I'll take most anyone that has other BCS offers. Would also be nice to have another center that can compete with Brommer and Archie for minutes. Sign him up, Fran.

I love how everyone thinks Iowa is head and shoulders above ISU. I'm an Iowa fan but come on, be real. Iowa and Iowa State are very comparable right now, except ISU will be a lot better than Iowa next year.

You say Hilton is aging, so is Carver (and the renovations aren't going to make it amazing)
You say Ames is a bad town, I'm sorry but Iowa City isn't anything special, I grew up near there and with the recent express tunnel of low income Chicagoans, IC is not a place I would ever consider living, though Ames I would.

I don't really see how you can compare Iowa and ISU's campus, both are very nice, but very different. I would say Iowa has more of the college appeal so you have me there, but to say you have no idea how kid's possibly choose ISU, but Iowa is an obvioulsy better choice is ridiculous in my eyes.

Maybe recruits have watched Big 10 games and want no part of it. I get that Fran has a different style but the Big 10, as a whole, is sluggish.

Is having good recruiters a bad thing now?

Brewster Prep produces players for many schools. ISU seems to milk that school well.
Not sure what the dynamic is for procuring recruits from an established prep school like Brewster,ie..whether it ever steers recruits to certain schools or what. Is it TJ whatshisname from ISU that knows people out there?

I know I am biased,but I honestly do not see what kind of allure there could possibly be to a recruit to come to ISU.
Academically, they are solid,but slanted toward science and engineering,not liberal arts that most bb players pursue.
Hoiberg has never coached til this year,and yes, he has the NBA background,but it is not like he was ever a household name.

Now, I know our ISU friends would say the same about Iowa,and some would be true.
Iowa's facilities are better now that the new practice building is nearing completion.
The Big Ten is surging upward, with schools vying to be selected last summer,with the most money in TV contracts, the largest attendance in bb and fb, the most alumni, and its own TV network that is in 80 million homes.

I guess it might come down to style of play in the conference or admission standards,but I have a nephew who went to ISU for engineering and it seemed very tough to him.
I understand all the Big Ten refugees seeing ISU as attractive since it is still ''midwest'' in locale,and willing to take them, but prep players? Guess those recruiters have some real silver tongues.

Yeah, Franny Mac is a HUGE name in college basketball. All the talented recruits know about his dramatic success at such high profile schools as Siena and UNC Greensboro.

Please. Fred is inexperienced but has cache when it comes to playing the NBA card. If you think having a history in NBA management is not impressive to recruits, then you're naive.

Fran's got mid major experience, and some coaching credentials, which I'm sure serve him well on the recruiting trail but he's still a relative no name.

Each coach has their advantages and disadvantages

Nice. Would love to get this guy. Would only help our chances with Katenda as well...

I
You say Ames is a bad town, I'm sorry but Iowa City isn't anything special, I grew up near there and with the recent express tunnel of low income Chicagoans, IC is not a place I would ever consider living, though Ames I would.

That's a bit dramatic.

I love how everyone thinks Iowa is head and shoulders above ISU. I'm an Iowa fan but come on, be real. Iowa and Iowa State are very comparable right now, except ISU will be a lot better than Iowa next year.

You say Hilton is aging, so is Carver (and the renovations aren't going to make it amazing)

I don't really see how you can compare Iowa and ISU's campus, both are very nice, but very different. I would say Iowa has more of the college appeal so you have me there, but to say you have no idea how kid's possibly choose ISU, but Iowa is an obvioulsy better choice is ridiculous in my eyes.

As someone that has never lived in Iowa City or Ames but has visited both plenty, I find it comical that you think Ames is in the same league as Iowa City. Iowa City feels like a vibrant college town. Ames, on the other hand, doesnt.

ISU opened their new practice facility last year. So they have the advantage there. Hilton and Carver are pretty similar in my book.

Big 10 conference is definately better in terms of stability. But I am not sure how much high school kids really know these issues.

Iowa City has the advantage on Ames. But in the 1 or 2 days you spend there on your visit, how can you really gauge that?

Hawks have more opportunity for immediate playing time, that may be more important than anything.

Not sure I buy your coaching arguments either. 18 Year olds don't follow Sienna or UNC Greensboro.

Note that I did not say that Ames was a bad town,just nothing special.
Now,I am from the western part of the state,and I just happen to think for east coast recruits,that the eastern third of the state,which is where more population is, and is closer to urban areas like Chicago, would be more attractive than out in Ames.
Now, maybe Iowa City has a more diverse population than you appreciate,but I think that actually might appeal to the african-american bb recruits...just me.
And you do ignore the conference edge. I think these east coast recruits would prefer to play east of the missouri river like in Penn. and Michigan and Ohio vs Lubbock and Manhattan and College Station,which is more of a hike for family to watch them play.
Iowa is one of the top ten college bb programs of all time as measured by sagarin ect....and ISU is where exactly on that list?

I am not saying ''head and shoulders'' ....I am saying an edge.

As for Fred's NBA credentials...I guess that could be a plus...is he telling these recruits that he can get them to the NBA? I hope their parents are smart enough to realize that only talent can get them to the NBA...it is a business and Freds connections will not get anyone drafted or even invited to camp,that does not deserve it,talent-wise.
Fran,on the other hand, has actually coached multiple college programs to the NCAA tourny,which is supposed to be the game that these recruits will be playing the next 4 years,not the NBA playoffs.
Clyde Drexler was a alltime top 50 NBA player but failed as a college coach...so having played in the NBA does not guarantee college coaching success, as much as having college coaching success does...like Fran.

Maybe recruits have watched Big 10 games and want no part of it. I get that Fran has a different style but the Big 10, as a whole, is sluggish.

You can't just say that about the big 10. I have seen plenty of sluggish BB whether it's the big 10 or not that just isn't right. These kids are not the most consistent creatures on earth therefore you will get inconsistent BB and never rule out the officiating for any particular game.

No, it is a good thing. I honestly did not mean to start a catfight here,and I guess my ultimate point is that ISU must have some really good recruiters,since they are recruiting pretty well of late.

Maybe it is envy on my part. As I said, I am just wondering what the allure of ISU is to these East Coast recruits...are they like the Hoyas of the Plains to these east coast kids or something? I guess if Manhattan Kansas came be made sexy to these top recruits,then Ames is capable also.

Yeah, Franny Mac is a HUGE name in college basketball. All the talented recruits know about his dramatic success at such high profile schools as Siena and UNC Greensboro.

Please. Fred is inexperienced but has cache when it comes to playing the NBA card. If you think having a history in NBA management is not impressive to recruits, then you're naive.

Fran's got mid major experience, and some coaching credentials, which I'm sure serve him well on the recruiting trail but he's still a relative no name.

Each coach has their advantages and disadvantages
And I'm sure ISU recruits know every front office person in the NBA to? You think they are like "man Freddy Hoiberg is recruiting me, he once worked in the front office in the NBA, all be it in one of the worst franchises in the NBA but hey he still worked there"? Both programs have good selling points as of right now. Fran can offer an open competition for minutes for maybe up to 3 spots. Fran also has a history in college BB and can tell his stories of recruiting, coaching, winning, losing, how he develops a family atmosphere inside the program.............all of which Freddy can't do. I get that both coaches have their selling points but do not sell Fran short!!

As someone that has never lived in Iowa City or Ames but has visited both plenty, I find it comical that you think Ames is in the same league as Iowa City. Iowa City feels like a vibrant college town. Ames, on the other hand, doesnt.

Hey look, another Hawk fan that has never lived in IC or Ames for that matter, yet feels he has any clue as to what it's like to live in either town.

I've always enjoyed both, I'm partial to Ames because I lived there for five years but I have some good memories from Iowa City as well. Being an 18 year old senior in highschool and being able to go up to IC to down pitchers of beer at Fitzpatricks and the Sports Column will always leave a warm memory in the heart.

No, it is a good thing. I honestly did not mean to start a catfight here,and I guess my ultimate point is that ISU must have some really good recruiters,since they are recruiting pretty well of late.

Maybe it is envy on my part. As I said, I am just wondering what the allure of ISU is to these East Coast recruits...are they like the Hoyas of the Plains to these east coast kids or something? I guess if Manhattan Kansas came be made sexy to these top recruits,then Ames is capable also.

Yeah, there are alot of college towns around the US with small appeal. Gonzaga? K-State? Baylor? Northwestern? Okie State? (Just got a big recruit over us) BYU? New Mexico? Butler?

If these coaches can coach up the players they get will be the main thing. FM has the edge there, we will see what FH can do.

Latest posts