OL Recruiting Concerns

I'm not too worried this offensive line is very underclassmen heavy.
2013 roster:
4 seniors
3 juniors
3 sophomores
6 redshirt freshmen
7 true freshmen
They have a lot of young guys, and need not replace many players.

Just a side note on the Paulsens..........Iowa sport's writers didn't vote either of them to their INA All-State 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team in their class A category this year. Not to make anything of it but just thought it was a bit strange.

Real strange. Both of them are 4 star recruits and in the class of 2015 … also ranked #1 and #2 in the state by 247 Sports. Every indication is they are future Hawkeyes.

Real strange. Both of them are 4 star recruits and in the class of 2015 … also ranked #1 and #2 in the state by 247 Sports. Every indication is they are future Hawkeyes.

The INA won't put kids on if their coach doesn't nominate them, no matter what. I'm guessing that's what happened.

I don't tend to worry about O-Line with the Captain, that is one area that is consistently above average.

2013 roster:
4 seniors
3 juniors
3 sophomores
6 redshirt freshmen
7 true freshmen

Those numbers are encouraging, lots of young guys coming up. I don't think KFz's "I develop O-linemen" image necessarily attracts big time recruits. If a guy is good, he'll make the NFL where ever he plays. And the shot at a NC (see Ross P) is pretty attractive.

It's the mid-level recruits that would be more drawn to the "development" angle. They need a program that can turn them from an above average O linemen into an NFL prospect. IOWA is where good guys go to get better, not where great players go to win a NC. Unfortunately, that's the image we have.

2013 roster:
4 seniors
3 juniors
3 sophomores
6 redshirt freshmen
7 true freshmen
That's different from my count, unless you are counting walk ons. These are the scholarship players.
2010 class - Donnal, Scherf
2011 - Walsh, Blythe
2012 - Simmons, Ward, Keppy, Sealby
2013 - Welsh, Goebel
2014 - Nelson, Render, Legrand.
I'd say there are real concerns with OL recruiting judging by those numbers.

This sets up like an 05, 06, 07, or 10,11,12 line. Could be somewhat efficient if every top guy makes it through the program and develops to their full potential.

News flash - that NEVER happens!

Here's the issue - it was clear there were future key units with likely personnel problems leading up to those seasons and the staff didn't treat it with urgency. Here is the same situation and they are treating it the same way. That part of the problem might be the speculation about BF to the Texans is also concerning. BF is playing this like KF plays the administration. A head coach shouldn't put up with that from a position coach. If he has asked BF not to say anything until after signing day, that conveys a severe lack of trust between the staff, players and recruits.

Staff went hard after three big time recruits but struck out. I looks like perhaps a JUCO OT could help next year but I imagine they are hard to come by. Looking at the listed heights, Iowa doesn't have a lot of tall OT type guys after next year.

That's different from my count, unless you are counting walk ons. These are the scholarship players.
2010 class - Donnal, Scherf
2011 - Walsh, Blythe
2012 - Simmons, Ward, Keppy, Sealby
2013 - Welsh, Goebel
2014 - Nelson, Render, Legrand.
I'd say there are real concerns with OL recruiting judging by those numbers.

My point exactly and it's the reason I started this thread. If you look closely at our roster I think there's cause to be worried about the future depth/talent at a position that shouldn't ever have that issue considering our history and style of offense.

Wasn't Ike Boettger moved to OL as well? I thought I read that somewhere, but I could be wrong about that.

This is true. Heard him talking about it when he was back for a Cedar Falls basketball game a couple weeks ago. I'm sure it will take some time before he's in the mix for playing time.

JFC, how can anyone possibly be worried about the OL position at Iowa? There are literally a million other aspects of the program that you should be more concerned about.

Assuming we land the Paulson twins all these "concerns" go away. From what I'm hearing, both of them could be starters by their sophomore year … if not sooner.

Assuming we land the Paulson twins all these "concerns" go away. From what I'm hearing, both of them could be starters by their sophomore year … if not sooner.

I had heard that since Bill Bleil moved on from ISU that ISU was out of the running for them. I guess they loved Bill as he was originally from around there, and still have family there.

I was really hoping that Ross P would flip back to us seeing how Bama has 6 OL committed this yr.

Latest posts