Okay QB Geniuses...I Did The Work, Now You Defend Your Point

Fryowa

Administrator
Out of the top 50 listed QBs in the portal as ranked by 24/7, here are the ones left. Rankings are obviously not perfect, but including 50 guys pretty much eliminates leaving someone out.

Since you guys are so dead set that Iowa has to go out and get the next Wonderboy, tell us who we should get from this list, why we should get them (concrete reasons based on in-game performances and stats, none of this, "I think he'd be really good," bullshit), and why you think they'd come to Iowa.

Here you go, put your money where your mouths are.

1642170855536.png

Let's hear it, Swamis. Show us what you want and some good reasons why...not some stuff about your cousin's wife who works at the Burger King across the street from XYZ University and heard a graduate assistant say how well this particular QB looked on the scout team.

ALSO...tell us what non-blue blood school has brought a transfer QB in and produced markedly better results, and then we can compare that to how many of these incoming transfers happen, and come up with a percentage of times that it actually works.

Put up or shut up.

I’m not in the recruit a transfer QB boat. I’m just here to say that Kansas is losing a lot of miles to which they cannot afford to make up.

Out of the top 50 listed QBs in the portal as ranked by 24/7, here are the ones left. Rankings are obviously not perfect, but including 50 guys pretty much eliminates leaving someone out.

Since you guys are so dead set that Iowa has to go out and get the next Wonderboy, tell us who we should get from this list, why we should get them (concrete reasons based on in-game performances and stats, none of this, "I think he'd be really good," bullshit), and why you think they'd come to Iowa.

View attachment 8575

Let's hear it, Swamis. Show us what you want and some good reasons why...not some bullshit about your cousin's wife who works at the Burger King across the street from XYZ University and heard a graduate assistant say how well this particular QB looked on the scout team.

ALSO...tell us what non-blue blood school has brought a transfer QB in and produced markedly better results, and then we can compare that to how many of these incoming transfers happen, and come up with a percentage of times that it actually works.

Put up or shut up.
I agree we should avoid the QB portal like the plague, but Russell Wilson was a pretty good example of a non blue blood school picking up a transfer and producing markedly better results, including a Rose Bowl win.

Wilson has done pretty good in the League as well. He has a super bowl ring.

Wilson was an anomaly however. It fails much more often than it works. Remember how the immortal Matt Eyde was supposed to come in a rewrite Iowa's record book?

He never saw the field. Rogers and Burmeister and Matt Sherman beat him out.

Wilson was an anomaly however. It fails much more often than it works. Remember how the immortal Matt Eyde was supposed to come in a rewrite Iowa's record book?

He never saw the field. Rogers and Burmeister and Matt Sherman beat him out.
This is what everyone fails to take into account.

Folks wanting a transfer are the same people who'd play the lottery and say, "Well, you can't win if you don't play..."

I agree we should avoid the QB portal like the plague, but Russell Wilson was a pretty good example of a non blue blood school picking up a transfer and producing markedly better results, including a Rose Bowl win.

The Wisky playbook is smaller than Iowa's. All Russell Wilson needed to learn was which side to hand off on and how to run a few play action waggles and rollouts and he had the shifty, fast running capability to make a huge impact.

The hawks have 2 qbs whose body of work is average but both of them seem to also be able to be above avg for a few drives and then really smelly as in almost stinking bad [last part is purposeful exaggeration and not my real thoughts]. If any of the qbs get more consistent and above avg the team can really benefit. I hope one of them takes the reins and has a Stanzi/CJB type of year.

This is laughable, but if either Dart or Williams wanted to come to Iowa, I would take either in a heartbeat. If Petras and Padilla leave, oh well. Where are they going to have a better chance to start at this level?

Either of these guys is an upgrade in playmaking ability over the two guys we have. They have been successful in limited time at schools that play at or above Iowa's level. More importantly, both likely have a higher ceiling than what we know we have in Petras. KF would be fart breathing stupid not to take a call from either of those kids.

The rest are just picking through the trash to replace Hogan. Its seems unlikely they could move up the depth chart past the two upperclassmen. Not sure it makes sense for the kid or us, and so Fry's point about the QB room probably wins out. So, probably not worth the effort, but I would still take the call and discuss it.

View attachment 8575

Let's hear it, Swamis. Show us what you want and some good reasons why...not some stuff about your cousin's wife who works at the Burger King across the street from XYZ University and heard a graduate assistant say how well this particular QB looked on the scout team.

Put up or shut up.
YO I Shut up huh?

None of the top 3 Iowa quarterbacks transferred out.

Hopefully one of them will be good enough to lead Iowa to another Big West title.

This is what everyone fails to take into account.

Folks wanting a transfer are the same people who'd play the lottery and say, "Well, you can't win if you don't play..."
The general speeding up of society, with technology and everything, makes people want the next thing more than what they've got now. It's why some people couldn't enjoy Luka Garza while he was here.. All they could do was fret over life after Luka.

People all but hung Nate Stanley in effigy while he was here. How would he look now? Not to mention being 3-0 in bowl games.

OK, he was also 0-3 vs Wisconsin.

I'm hearing a whole lotta nada out of the crowd who wanted a transfer...

Hellooooooooo? You guys out there???

Breaker 1 - 9, come on back...

Put up or shut up.

Wershington State brought in Gardner Minschew, who was a 2 star with experience at small schools. He was unreal as a grad transfer.

Wershington State brought in Gardner Minschew, who was a 2 star with experience at small schools. He was unreal as a grad transfer.
One...ah, ah, ah

Count-Von-Count.jpg

View attachment 8575

Put up or shut up.

Understand your perspective, but "I think he'd be good" has always been part of recruiting. Most of these guys are in the portal because they don't feel their skills have been used to their potential. So they're not going to have impressive stat lines.

That said, your underlying point is true. A new QB isn't the answer. A better offensive approach and coaching to go with it...IS.

One...ah, ah, ah

Count-Von-Count.jpg

And people named Russell Wilson. 2. Peyton Ramsey transferred from Indiana to Northwestern for 2020. Northwestern went from last in the West to winning the West and then back to the bottom when he graduated. 3.

Part of the issue is the phenomenon is fairly new, so the data set is pretty small. I'm on the record saying it absolutely won't work at Iowa, but if the right guy is there I would take him but the issue is the "right guy" will not under any circumstances go to Iowa. Iowa also has to take the Dabo approach of using the portal very sparingly because we try to develop guys internally. Nothing creates demotivation like someone busting their ass for 2 years and then having to compete with a transfer when you told them "hey, when so and so graduates you are gonna be the man." There has got to be a marked improvement for you to upset the chemistry. A program like Bama or Ohio can get away with it because they are just mercenaries playing for exposure and a title, but if you are like Iowa (or dare I say even Clemson) it can really upset the apple cart quickly.

What the hell is going on in Kansas. Don't make me Google it, but there must be a coaching change or something. But, one would still 1-2 would have a chance to play, even for a new coach if that is the situation. For krist's sake, you signed up for Kansas in the first place. It isn't like you set the bar that damn high to begin with.

Maybe it's a style of play issue.

I'm hearing a whole lotta nada out of the crowd who wanted a transfer...

Hellooooooooo? You guys out there???

Breaker 1 - 9, come on back...
I want the dude that wasn't good enough to start at Kansas.

Seriously though, I have no problem bringing if a transfer if he can add something. Would shock me if it happened. If it would happen that Labas passes SP and AP and both leave, then we may need some depth.

The problem with that is that there is a reason they're not at their old school and would accept a backup role at a school that's not exactly a QB factory.

I would be fine with a QB coming in to lead us to a 10 win season. It's tough to imagine a season with that much success, as shitty as we've been lately.

In short, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but it ain't gonna help. If I'm wrong and we bring in the 2nd coming of Joe Burrow, I'll post a video on here of me eating my shorts.

I don't want a transfer QB, but Harbaugh did pretty alright the year he had Rudock, as a counter example.