Okay QB Geniuses...I Did The Work, Now You Defend Your Point

Out of the top 50 listed QBs in the portal as ranked by 24/7, here are the ones left. Rankings are obviously not perfect, but including 50 guys pretty much eliminates leaving someone out.

Since you guys are so dead set that Iowa has to go out and get the next Wonderboy, tell us who we should get from this list, why we should get them (concrete reasons based on in-game performances and stats, none of this, "I think he'd be really good," bullshit), and why you think they'd come to Iowa.

Here you go, put your money where your mouths are.

View attachment 8575

Let's hear it, Swamis. Show us what you want and some good reasons why...not some stuff about your cousin's wife who works at the Burger King across the street from XYZ University and heard a graduate assistant say how well this particular QB looked on the scout team.

ALSO...tell us what non-blue blood school has brought a transfer QB in and produced markedly better results, and then we can compare that to how many of these incoming transfers happen, and come up with a percentage of times that it actually works.

Put up or shut up.
Max Hall: ASU to BYU. Was 3 time All mountain west conference selection

Ryan Mallett: Michigan to Arkansas. Threw 62 TDs in 2 years at Arkansas.

Nick Foles: Michigan State to Arizona.10,000 passing yards and 71 TDs

Riley Ferguson: Tennessee to Memphis. Set program record (32 TDs) as a Junior. Had 38 his Sr year.

Jacoby Brissett: Florida to NC State.

But yeah,

Out of the top 50 listed QBs in the portal as ranked by 24/7, here are the ones left. Rankings are obviously not perfect, but including 50 guys pretty much eliminates leaving someone out.

Since you guys are so dead set that Iowa has to go out and get the next Wonderboy, tell us who we should get from this list, why we should get them (concrete reasons based on in-game performances and stats, none of this, "I think he'd be really good," bullshit), and why you think they'd come to Iowa.

Here you go, put your money where your mouths are.

View attachment 8575

Let's hear it, Swamis. Show us what you want and some good reasons why...not some stuff about your cousin's wife who works at the Burger King across the street from XYZ University and heard a graduate assistant say how well this particular QB looked on the scout team.

ALSO...tell us what non-blue blood school has brought a transfer QB in and produced markedly better results, and then we can compare that to how many of these incoming transfers happen, and come up with a percentage of times that it actually works.

Put up or shut up.
I just gave you 5 transfers to non blue bloods who produced excellent results. This thing called “Google” is crazy!

Max Hall: ASU to BYU. Was 3 time All mountain west conference selection
11-2, 10-3, 11-2
Ryan Mallett: Michigan to Arkansas. Threw 62 TDs in 2 years at Arkansas.
8-5 and 10-3
Nick Foles: Michigan State to Arizona.10,000 passing yards and 71 TDs
8-5, 7-6, 4-8
Riley Ferguson: Tennessee to Memphis. Set program record (32 TDs) as a Junior. Had 38 his Sr year.
8-5, 10-3
Jacoby Brissett: Florida to NC State.
8-5 and 7-6
But yeah,
I think right out of the gate we can eliminate Brissett, Foles as "improvements," and of the other three only Mallett played power five ball. Hall did have a solid career at BYU though.

11-2, 10-3, 11-2

8-5 and 10-3

8-5, 7-6, 4-8

8-5, 10-3

8-5 and 7-6

I think right out of the gate we can eliminate Brissett, Foles as "improvements," and of the other three only Mallett played power five ball. Hall did have a solid career at BYU though.
I would say it's odd to rule out Brissett and Foles as improvements when they are/were both NFL QB's. One winning a Super Bowl. My guess is the QBs they replaced weren't better than that. If you just want to go by W-L record, why are we even discussing a QB change or even competition. I think I heard Petras has an excellent record so this shouldn't be a debate.

I'm sure Oklahoma is considered a blue blood, but they had 3 yrs in a row with transfer QBs dominating in year one (Baker, Kyler, Hurts). While I know Iowa isn't anywhere near OU in offense and QB play, and I agree a transfer QB isn't a lock or maybe isn't even overly likely to make a splash, I don't see the hurt in bringing in competition if it's the right fit.

We can all say it's rare for a transfer QB to be a big hit and that this year's portal class is underwhelming after the elite, but aren't our current QB's underwhelming? And I could be a contrarion and challenge people to find QB's who looked as bad as ours did this year (esp Petras) and came back the next year with significant improvement.

Last edited:
Also, just recently Joe Burrow was a transfer and did OK. Jacob Eason transferred to Washington and Davis Webb to Cal and both did well enough to get drafted. Cam Newton was a transfer for Auburn who won a Heisman and drafted #1. If you want some local flavor, Cody Sokol transferred out of Iowa and did well at La Tech. As did Nic Shimonek to TTech.

Last edited:
And if you're into the DBag flavor, Scott Frost transferred from Stanford to Nebraska and won a fake national title despite being a very limited, but full of himself, QB.

11-2, 10-3, 11-2

8-5 and 10-3

8-5, 7-6, 4-8

8-5, 10-3

8-5 and 7-6

11-2, 10-3, 11-2

8-5 and 10-3

8-5, 7-6, 4-8

8-5, 10-3

8-5 and 7-6

Question was non-blue blood. Nothing about power 5.
3 years Foles had 10,000 yards and 67 TDs
2 years Brissett had 5200 yards and 43TD
Plus both were or are NFL QBs and Foles is a Super Bowl winner. Iowa would kill to have a QB put up the numbers Foles and Brissett did. So all 5 are good examples.

I would say it's odd to rule out Brissett and Foles as improvements when they are/were both NFL QB's. One winning a Super Bowl. My guess is the QBs they replaced weren't better than that. If you just want to go by W-L record, why are we even discussing a QB change or even competition. I think I heard Petras has an excellent record so this shouldn't be a debate.
Thank you. How is anyone satisfied with Petras awful stats. Any transfer would be an improvement.209559A0-3474-40BF-9EB8-D804E0912CCA.jpeg

Petras is an exibit A example to why wins aren't a QB stat.... Iowa was winning despite him. Not because of him. A small few of those wins did he play well enough to have a debate on most of them he was just there for the ride.

Steve Deace has said forever that you 'can't hide your qb in college football' in regards to this topic. Well Iowa is damn near trying to prove that wrong these last two years.

I'm sure Oklahoma is considered a blue blood, but they had 3 yrs in a row with transfer QBs dominating in year one (Baker, Kyler, Hurts). While I know Iowa isn't anywhere near OU in offense and QB play, and I agree a transfer QB isn't a lock or maybe isn't even overly likely to make a splash, I don't see the hurt in bringing in competition if it's the right fit.

We can all say it's rare for a transfer QB to be a big hit and that this year's portal class is underwhelming after the elite, but aren't our current QB's underwhelming? And I could be a contrarion and challenge people to find QB's who looked as bad as ours did this year (esp Petras) and came back the next year with significant improvement.
This

but these 5 star qbs never go to non blueblood programs. How would Wisky ever recover from this i just dont know.
With all due respect to these "sources", I don't believe Caleb Williams ends up in Wisconsin. Their offense doesn't really fit with his skills (run first and run second, etc.). Also, he can make WAY more NIL money in SoCal than he can at Wisconsin and that can/will be a big differentiator going forward.

With all due respect to these "sources", I don't believe Caleb Williams ends up in Wisconsin. Their offense doesn't really fit with his skills (run first and run second, etc.). Also, he can make WAY more NIL money in SoCal than he can at Wisconsin and that can/will be a big differentiator going forward.
Its just the thought that Wisconsin is in the running for this guy says alot. There not a pass happy offense but its just the fact that they are trying to get better.

Out of curiosity, with NIL money being a major driving force now, I wonder if athletes like Williams would use a program like Wisconsin as a driving force to run up going price at USC. We see it all the time in the pros and I don't see the college game being any different now. it's an entirely different ball game now and I think we've only seen a partial glimpse of how NIL will evolve the college game and what the landscape will look like as a result.

Latest posts