OK to stand, possibly blocking others' view, during entire game?

Is it OK to stand and cheer virtually the entire game?

• Yes. Show your support. If your view is blocked, get off your butt and cheer, too!

Votes: 60 60.6%
  • No. I paid good money for these tickets. You're blocking my view and detracting from my enjoyment of

Votes: 39 39.4%

• Total voters
Question: Can the people that stand during

Well, I happen to be one of those idiots. I enjoy firing up the crowd around me, and have never had anyone complain about it once. In fact, everone who sits around me loves it and feeds off my enthusiasm. I assume by your handle that you sit in Section 136. I've had season tickets in Section 136 for the last six years. I must really **** you off then.

I doesnt **** me off at all. I was just playing devil advocate to NotCy. It ticks him off when people tell him to sit down so I just brought up the other side....fans telling other fans to stand up.

And I dont need anybody to tell me when to stand or get loud. I am the first one on my feet screaming when it is time.

Since there is a passing gas thread where most feel it is acceptable to let it go. Could this be the easy solution to get that row to stand up behind you?

What I've witnessed is that the sitting individuals telling the standers to sit down are typically the bigger jerks.

I agree completely. The standers are not the negative whiners that the sitters are. The sitters are usually the bigger complainers and are so negative it is hard to be around those kind of people. The standers typically cheer our beloved Hawks onto victory and are positive people outgoing, energetic people!

The sitters are always the first people to complain and be negative.[/QUOTE]

Stare at some dude's south end for an hour and tell me what kind of mood you're in.

Again, the solution is simple sommon sense and courtesy. Get into the game, but don't get mad at anyone who isn't as into it as you. It doesn't make you a better fan to get up and scream. On the other hand, if you get mad at someone for standing up and getting loud at an exciting football game, don't go. This is not your living room, and you don't get to boss them around.

When you buy your ticket, you lose your right to enjoy the game exactly on your terms, because you have entered a social pact with 70,000 other people.

I agree completely. The standers are not the negative whiners that the sitters are. The sitters are usually the bigger complainers and are so negative it is hard to be around those kind of people. The standers typically cheer our beloved Hawks onto victory and are positive people outgoing, energetic people!

The sitters are always the first people to complain and be negative.

Stare at some dude's south end for an hour and tell me what kind of mood you're in.

Again, the solution is simple sommon sense and courtesy. Get into the game, but don't get mad at anyone who isn't as into it as you. It doesn't make you a better fan to get up and scream. On the other hand, if you get mad at someone for standing up and getting loud at an exciting football game, don't go. This is not your living room, and you don't get to boss them around.

When you buy your ticket, you lose your right to enjoy the game exactly on your terms, because you have entered a social pact with 70,000 other people.[/QUOTE]

Especially when we are on defense and it is third frickin' down. STAND UP LOSERS!!!

Stand when the situation calls for it (3rd downs, 4th downs, etc), sure. But to stand for the sake of standing is idiotic. It seems like people that do this think this will win the game for their team... it won't. You are a fan. If you want to win the game for your team, tryouts are in August.

At the Iowa/Iowa State game There is an old couple that have seats in front of me, and the ol 'guy can't move around that well. The (sorry) Iowa fan and his girl that had the seats the next row down stood in front of the old man (and me) the whole game. There was NO ONE standing in front of the Hawk fans. While I could stand and see over him, the poor ol' guy had a lot more trouble and pretty much gave up after a while.

Yes, when in Kinnick... do as they do. If your section is standing, you stand. Sitting, you sit. IF you are the only jag bag standing you're really being kind rude. Remember, you can be loud from your seat as well. Against Pitt these two stood in front of us during warm ups the entire time, directly in front of us and only they could see. Warm ups. Just be polite to everyone, try to work together, and remember, you are not the only one there...

I don't think it is rude to stand. I have not had season tickets since I was a student, but attend as many games as I can. You can sit and hear better at home. If you are paying for tickets you are paying for the environment inside the stadium which is enhanced by all of those crazy yahoos standing and cheering the entire game. They should be enjoyed as much as the game since you are paying extra to experience an environment they create.

Can we declare a winner yet? "Sitters", StandTFU!

Neither side wins, neither loses. Both need to compromise.

I stand and yell more than most. But the few times a game that I realize that I'm the only one in my section yelling, I sit down before the play starts. I can still yell from my seat.

Moderation, folks.

I'd have no problem standing all game...but do not. I'm in row 60, so I stand when those in front of me stand.

We went to the Orange Bowl in 2002 and had a lady that tugged on my and my wife's shirt to sit down...I told her to tell the several hundred people in front of me to sit down and we will, but I'm not going to miss seeing the game just so they can stay seated. Only time I've ever been confrontational with another person at a game.

It is about common courtesy, but also comprehend your going to a game and not sitting on your couch.

Are they idiots or just great fans?

It's ok. I will bring some yarn and a crochet hook for the Northwestern game for you to crochet your Blankie. I will also bring a book for you to read. That way you can sit the entire game and not even know what quarter the game is in.

You do realize you can yell, scream, and cheer while sitting down, don't you?

Apparently you don't.

Depends on where you are. In my seats in Kinnick we stand all game. Everyone in our section stands all game. My aunt on the other hand sits with the old fogy donators and they dont stand at all. I like the idea if the people in front of you stand than you can to.

Jimmy...I need to go find you the next game. I'm a standing, all-down cheering, burrito-pumping, high-fiver, screaming-til-your-throats-raw fan!

I wonder how 85000 a&m fans survive standing for a whole game. their yell leaders may seem a bit weird, but there's a reason why they are called the 12th man.

So I ask myself if I would rather Kinnick be more like that atmosphere of 100% standing where they mock you for attempting to sit, or one where sitting is default and you onky stand on supposed "big downs"

I for one would like to sit down occasionally, but would much rather it be 50%+ standing, yelling. Kinnick is already a tough atmosphere for opposing teams. If Hawkeye fans sucked it up and stood when the Hawkeyes were on Defense - always - imagine how tough that would be for opposing offenses?

Hawk fans can sit when they are on O, as crowd noise could end up hurting ourselves.

That is a compromise I could live with and would in fact improve Kinnick's already challenging atmosphere for opposing teams.

Stand up when the Hawks are on D Hawkeye fans!

If you are too old/decrepit/mellow/lazy to not stand up and make some noise and show some enthusiasm, you should stay home and watch the game on tv.

If you are too hyper-active/amped up/inebriated/inconsiderate to not sit the entire game, you should stay home and watch the game on tv.

It is right and proper to stand up, make noise and show enthusiasm when there is proper reason to do so. Its is also right and proper to sit your a$$ down when there isn't any proper reason to do so.

Moderation, respect and tolerance are the keys, and that goes both ways.

But seriously, if the aches, pains, disabilities or attitudes of aging are preventing you from being active and enthusiastic in the stands, its either time to pass the seats on to the next generation or at least to accept your lot and not ***** about those who are still willing and able.

Just like there comes a time where the kids have to take the car keys away from Dear Old Dad (kicking and screaming), there comes a time when, for the benefit of all, its comes time to give up the live Kinnick experience.

Last edited:
You do realize you can yell, scream, and cheer while sitting down, don't you?

Apparently you don't.

#1. How old are you? Obviously very old! You are clearly the person that sits the entire game. It is common sense to say that people that are standing up are making more noise. Why in big moments does the entire crowd stand? When does the stadium get the loudest? When people stand or sit? Obviously the answer is stand. You tell me why, oldtimer!
#2. People are saying that you stand if somebody else is standing in front of you. That's fine. But who is the first person that is going to stand to make everybody behind you stand. Somebody has to be. So if I stand up, then everybody behind me needs to stand also.

#2. People are saying that you stand if somebody else is standing in front of you. That's fine. But who is the first person that is going to stand to make everybody behind you stand. Somebody has to be. So if I stand up, then everybody behind me needs to stand also.

By this reasoning, then, the off-field players, coaches, photographers, chain crew, technical staff, etc., should all sit, since they are blocking the view of the people in the first rows at Kinnick. (Exempt from this rule: Erin Andrews and any other hot sideline reporter.) ;)

Latest posts