OK, so now, your expectations for Moss?

I

Ian Pike Hammer

Mine are much the same as for Cook. I do hope he's firmly committed to defense. He could be a great scorer for us and will look for his shot AND try to create more shots for himself. I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa averages over 85 ppg this year, especially if J.Bo can switch to shooting guard for serious minutes! Go Hawks!!

OK, I'll appeal to your vanity. Only basketball genius' need reply!

• Moss is a mixed bag. At times he looks great and at other times he looks totally ineffective. Once he learns to be consistent on the positive side he could be a great player. I always liked how he finishes going to the basket. He knows how to take a foul and finish at the basket. He is probably one of our better defensive players but based on last year that’s not saying much.

Last edited:
I'd still like to see him get to the line more. He was 87.9% from the line last year, just a couple points behind Bohannon. We could go small late in games and put him on the baseline, a la Wisconsin's Kahlil Iverson. He would have no problem drawing fouls if he attacked the basket properly.

Hopefully, Wieskamp is as good as advertised, He should open up things for Moss, and Moss should help open things up for Wieskamp. Iowa should have a lot of options offensively.

Consistently play at a high level. He has flashed a few times in his career but has disappeared way too often.

He came out hot last season during the non-conference then disappeared during conference play save the Maryland and Minnesota games where he went off for 25 and 32 a piece. Sprinkle in a few 13-15 point games mixed in but was mostly in the single digits.

If he can consistently stay in the 10-15 point range with a few 20+ games sprinkled in that would help this team tremendously on the defensive end. Yes, I said defensively. When he scores, he becomes more disruptive and focused on defense, as do most players when their confidence rises throughout a game.

Moss is a stand still jump shooter that happens to be athletic. That’s all he’s proven to date. He has the potential to be a driver as well but we haven’t seen much of it to date.

He really struggles with using screens to make himself available.

I will give the benefit of the doubt to the OP on be Cook comparison I think that just meant he will improve his scoring and hopefully focus more on defense.

Honestly I would not be surprised if Dailey is better than Moss.

I'd still like to see him get to the line more. He was 87.9% from the line last year, just a couple points behind Bohannon. We could go small late in games and put him on the baseline, a la Wisconsin's Kahlil Iverson. He would have no problem drawing fouls if he attacked the basket properly.

Hopefully he's learned what jumpstop is, and how/when to use one.

I don't want to say that I've given up on Moss, but at this point, I've come to accept that he is what he is.
Good shooter, at times.
Great slasher, at times.
Defense optional, most of the time.

He plays like an all B1G player for one game, then disappears for the next 4 games.
I could see Weiskamp taking his PT.

So, what are my expectations? I really have none for him.

The guy has a smooth shot when he gets it off in rhythm. Being a year older and everything I'd like to think he'll have more consistency to his game. The guy is capable of being a 14-15 pt a game scorer. Will he be is obviously the question and how's his defense? If he can D up his guy it'll only bode him well for more consistent PT.

As others have stated, more of the same. Instead of 10 really good games this year, hopefully you can get 15, maybe 20.

Moss is a great backup 2 guard who gets 12 minutes per game to give the starter a rest. His role should have never been more than that up to this point. If he can become more than that this year, that will be great. I'm not expecting it tho.

Last year we were pretty much screwed on the games he disappeared because we had no one else. This year we have Wieskamp who will get 28-30 minutes per game at the 2/3. Then we have Dailey, Moss, Bohannon, and even CJ that can take his minutes. I think we will have a huge upgrade at the 2/3 spots this year.

Moss is a great backup 2 guard who gets 12 minutes per game to give the starter a rest. His role should have never been more than that up to this point. If he can become more than that this year, that will be great. I'm not expecting it tho.

Last year we were pretty much screwed on the games he disappeared because we had no one else. This year we have Wieskamp who will get 28-30 minutes per game at the 2/3. Then we have Dailey, Moss, Bohannon, and even CJ that can take his minutes. I think we will have a huge upgrade at the 2/3 spots this year.
I had mentioned a few times that starting Dailey at the 2 and moving Moss to the bench might not be a bad idea. Moss is a scorer first, but we have plenty of scoring in our starting 5.

I like the idea of starting Dailey and telling him to go check the top guard on the other team. He’s longer and a little bit quicker than Moss, also sounds like he’s added some strength.

Moss then comes in with Baer and Nunge who aren’t necessarily score first guys.

JBo
Dailey
Weiskamp
Cook
Garza

First wave off the bench:
Moss
Baer
Nunge

After hearing Fran’s comments on Moss and the starting 5 I do not think that will actually happen.

Last edited:

I think Frederick will redshirt. But to your point the addition of Weiskamp really changes thing. I would not be surprised to see Moss see declines in both minutes played and points from last year.

I do believe that Isaiah Moss will play a significant role this season. Freshman year he played capable defense on the perimeter, staying in front of his opponent, keeping his hands up to distract and frequently the opponent would pass the ball away. Last season was a disaster for everyone on the team and the lack of acceptable defense became infectious, a serious problem that must be corrected to show improvement that is quite possible and absolutely necessary this season.....

On offense, Isaiah was at his best in transition on the wings. before the opponents' D was set. His freshman, redshirt year, he could take it to the basket and score on anyone or getting free throws if he was fouled. He has very nice moves at the basket, and is a serious problem for the opponents to stop. Last season he was open on the wings every game but would seldom receive a timely pass. Jordan was guarded so closely that his breakout passes were hampered. That should change this season with Connor at the point. He is a pass-first guard who understands the value of ball movement, especially in transition. With JoeW and Jordan breaking to the perimeter and Isaiah racing on the wings we could present serious problems for the hapless opponents. Ideally, this is how things will play out. Of course, transition depends and relies on excellent D, rebounding missed shots and stealing the ball to start our transition game which could be very good.....

The word seems to be that JoeW is quite capable of playing D. If this is true that will be a blessing, having a long tall quick defender on the perimeter will help enormously. There were entirely too many, almost uncontested drives from the perimeter to the basket and open threes rained on a constant basis.....

I have good feelings about the team rising to their potential this season and am anxiously awaiting the start. Brutal preconference schedule with Michigan State and Wisconsin games in December. We will know soon how this season could play out by the end of December. Not having Luka for that stretch will make things a bit more difficult. When Luca returns we just might be in fine shape to make a run for a place in the top half of the conference.....

Merely idle ruminations racing around my mind.....

I had mentioned a few times that starting Dailey at the 2 and moving Moss to the bench might not be a bad idea. Moss is a scorer first, but we have plenty of scoring in our starting 5.

I like the idea of starting Dailey and telling him to go check the top guard on the other team. He’s longer and a little bit quicker than Moss, also sounds like he’s added some strength.

Moss then comes in with Baer and Nunge who aren’t necessarily score first guys.

JBo
Dailey
Weiskamp
Cook
Garza

First waive off the bench:
Moss
Baer
Nunge

After hearing Fran’s comments on Moss and the starting 5 I do not think that will actually happen.
Not a bad suggestion at all... If Dailey plays so well to start off with I suppose there's a possibility of it happening. But like you I'm not holding my breath on it

I expect a red shirt Junior to not make mental mistakes on defense. He has the physical ability to play solid defense and has shown he can. Last year was much better than prior year. Hope to see more improvement there.

His offensive game is solid. I think more of it is mental with Moss. I feel like he goes through the motions. Would like to see him be a little more selfish and get a little bit of an attitude. Those are things I don't normally wish for, but I feel that way about most of the team last year.

I'm hoping that Weiskamp is pushing him in practice.

I also like what was stated about Dailey starting and Moss coming off bench. Dailey showed he wanted to play defense more than most last year. Reward the defensive effort.

Moss is on my list for becoming the season's "Dom Uhl" especially as Weiskamp's PT increases and if Moss's perimeter defense is consistently late.

Moss is on my list for becoming the season's "Dom Uhl" especially as Weiskamp's PT increases and if Moss's perimeter defense is consistently late.
I was thinking Baer as Kreiner and Nunge continue to (hopefully) improve and Wiescamp locks down the three. Kreiner should get significant five minutes until Garza is up to speed and Nunge should get a lot of time at the four, escpecially if Cook slides over to the five early in the season. If Baer is starting or getting significant minutes that's an onimous sign that younger players are underachieving or underdeveloping.

If Wiescamp has to play significant minutes at the two that's another onimous sign because it means Moss and Dailey aren't developing. Moss and Dailey should take care of most "two" duties. Wiescamp is a natural three, and regression by Baer and (departed) Wagner and the failed Nunge experiment make that one of our biggest areas of need coming into the season.

Where does this leave Pemsl? Well, I was screaming for a redshirt, was told in multiple posts that players don't think that way any more, and all hands appear to be on deck. If he can't earn significant minutes with Garza out he definitely isnt going to earn them when Garza comes back. The way they have talked, maybe he backs up Wiescamp at the three(?). He's supposed to be lighter and quicker. We heard that last year and all he did was lose his biggest asset from his freshman year-a wide lower base that allowed him to operate around the basket and seal off defenders.

Last edited: