OK, so now, your expectations for Moss?

I was thinking Baer as Kreiner and Nunge continue to (hopefully) improve and Wiescamp locks down the three. Kreiner should get significant five minutes until Garza is up to speed and Nunge should get a lot of time at the four, escpecially if Cook slides over to the five early in the season. If Baer is starting or getting significant minutes that's an onimous sign that younger players are underachieving or underdeveloping.

If Wiescamp has to play significant minutes at the two that's another onimous sign because it means Moss and Dailey aren't developing. Moss and Dailey should take care of most "two" duties. Wiescamp is a natural three, and regression by Baer and (departed) Wagner and the failed Nunge experiment make that one of our biggest areas of need coming into the season.

Where does this leave Pemsl? Well, I was screaming for a redshirt, was told in multiple posts that players don't think that way any more, and all hands appear to be on deck. If he can't earn significant minutes with Garza out he definitely isnt going to earn them when Garza comes back. The way they have talked, maybe he backs up Wiescamp at the three(?). He's supposed to be lighter and quicker. We heard that last year and all he did was lose his biggest asset from his freshman year-a wide lower base that allowed him to operate around the basket and seal off defenders.
More I think about it, it is more likely that Pemsl will be the designated Dom Uhl. Good observations.

I think Moss could be one of the guys we see take the biggest step forward.

He might benefit the most from playing with Joe and having better wing play.

Add in that he’s not a bad 3rd or maybe even 4th scoring option behind Cook, JBo and maybe Garza.

• Moss is a mixed bag. At times he looks great and at other times he looks totally ineffective. Once he learns to be consistent on the positive side he could be a great player. I always liked how he finishes going to the basket. He knows how to take a foul and finish at the basket. He is probably one of our better defensive players but based on last year that’s not saying much.
Moss is a classic one on one type of offensive player. If you put the ball in his hands and clear out, he'll get you buckets. He doesn't play without the ball very well. Which is why he disappears in some games. He could really help the team if he embraced some team concepts. Maybe he's never learned how.

I don't want to say that I've given up on Moss, but at this point, I've come to accept that he is what he is.
Good shooter, at times.
Great slasher, at times.
Defense optional, most of the time.

He plays like an all B1G player for one game, then disappears for the next 4 games.
I could see Weiskamp taking his PT.

So, what are my expectations? I really have none for him.

Sounds like what a young player is like. He's now had two years to get comfortable and understand what he needs to do to be a great player. I think you underestimate his on ball defense...it's better. His off ball and help defense has been lacking however. I'm really excited to see him play this year. I think both he and Cook are primed for good seasons...as I'm sure they knew exactly what they had to work on this summer and fall. The NBA review process can be brutal...from an honesty standpoint. There is no coddling or pats on the back. It's assets and liabilities...and if you are a liability in any faze of the game...it's exploited in brutal fashion.

Sounds like what a young player is like. He's now had two years to get comfortable and understand what he needs to do to be a great player. I think you underestimate his on ball defense...it's better. His off ball and help defense has been lacking however. I'm really excited to see him play this year. I think both he and Cook are primed for good seasons...as I'm sure they knew exactly what they had to work on this summer and fall. The NBA review process can be brutal...from an honesty standpoint. There is no coddling or pats on the back. It's assets and liabilities...and if you are a liability in any faze of the game...it's exploited in brutal fashion.
Moss is 22 years old. He's the 2nd oldest player on the roster, behind Baer. He's not young for a college player.

I hope you're right.

I keep thinking he will break out. I have, so far, been disappointed. But, I still believe he has the skill set on O and D to be a very good player.

Moss is on my list for becoming the season's "Dom Uhl" especially as Weiskamp's PT increases and if Moss's perimeter defense is consistently late.
Naw. That'd be terrible if that happened. I mean big time bad. There's a better chance of Moss scoring 14 pts a game and playing well than he being the 11th man all of a sudden...

Moss is a classic one on one type of offensive player. If you put the ball in his hands and clear out, he'll get you buckets. He doesn't play without the ball very well. Which is why he disappears in some games. He could really help the team if he embraced some team concepts. Maybe he's never learned how.
Yeah I was hoping with him playing with Jok for a yr or so there that he'd have learned how to play well off the ball. Jok was like the opposite of him. Jok when he put the ball on the floor more than once it seemed like was a win for the other team. That's the opposite of Moss he likes to put it down a few times and either pull up or drive to the lane. I'd love to see him come off screens and catch and shoot more he is good at that.

Moss is 22 years old. He's the 2nd oldest player on the roster, behind Baer. He's not young for a college player.
Heck, he wouldn't be young for an NBA player! Half the league is 24 or younger, many of whom would still be in college if they stayed all four or five years.

I think I have bigger expectations for Moss than most...judging by this thread. Moss showed improvement from year 1 to year 2 in basically every category.

Freshman: 17 minutes, 6.5 points, 1.6 rebounds, 1 steal, 1.1 turnovers, 6 shot attempts, 41% shooting, 36% 3-point shooting, 74% free throw shooting.

Sophomore: 24 minutes, 11 points, 2.2 rebounds, 1.9 steal, 1.2 turnovers, 9 shot attempts, 42% shooting, 39% 3-point shooting, 88% free throw shooting.

So in 7 more minutes per game Moss shot the ball at a higher percentage on more attempts, got to the line more, and turned the ball over less per minute while averaging a full steal more. He improved all-around.

All I've ever asked is that players improve year to year. That's probably why I hated Zach McCabe so much...that dude just never improved. Baer is in a similar frustrating place...it seems he peaked early and then regressed.

This year I'd expect Moss to shoot 40% from 3, get to the line more, and average 2+ steals per game. That should be his role on this team.

I think I have bigger expectations for Moss than most...judging by this thread. Moss showed improvement from year 1 to year 2 in basically every category.

Freshman: 17 minutes, 6.5 points, 1.6 rebounds, 1 steal, 1.1 turnovers, 6 shot attempts, 41% shooting, 36% 3-point shooting, 74% free throw shooting.

Sophomore: 24 minutes, 11 points, 2.2 rebounds, 1.9 steal, 1.2 turnovers, 9 shot attempts, 42% shooting, 39% 3-point shooting, 88% free throw shooting.

So in 7 more minutes per game Moss shot the ball at a higher percentage on more attempts, got to the line more, and turned the ball over less per minute while averaging a full steal more. He improved all-around.

All I've ever asked is that players improve year to year. That's probably why I hated Zach McCabe so much...that dude just never improved. Baer is in a similar frustrating place...it seems he peaked early and then regressed.

This year I'd expect Moss to shoot 40% from 3, get to the line more, and average 2+ steals per game. That should be his role on this team.

If he can provide 40% perimeter shooting. The ability to pass in rhythm of the motion offense and improve his D to the tune of 1.5 steals per game. He will be worth the starting role. That's a solid SG for just about any team.

All the same Moss is one of the players that I think needs the least improvement. His ability to disappear for entire games is really more of a product of teams that chose to scheme him out and teams that took away the transition.

Fran hasn't spent much time dialing up set plays for Moss to come off screens and shoot. Not to the extent we have seen him do for other featured SG's. This season we probably see that change. There are alot of mouths to feed, but the ones that actually offer immediate return on investment are Moss and Cook. Since they both actually possess NBA level athleticism getting both of them to the NBA would be the work of Moses coming down Mt Sinai. That feat would ring true credence on the recruiting trail. The kind that might sway a top recruit that isn't following some blockchain payday.

Short and sweet we need to feed the 2 NBA hopefuls and reap a bountiful harvest. If Moss is not ready for this role it is not a good indicator for this years success.

Not a troll question: Is he likely to play defense better this year? Don't think Fran will ever bench Cook or JBo for lackadaisical defense, but I could see him benching Moss.

Not a troll question: Is he likely to play defense better this year? Don't think Fran will ever bench Cook or JBo for lackadaisical defense, but I could see him benching Moss.

Well that really is a question about what drives the young man. If he is motivated to play defense to reach the next level of the game. Then effort is all that is required to be great on defense. You don't need an All Star defensive coach. You don't need an entire team of great defenders. While those things help once you understand a defensive set and each players responsibilities then effort and lots of it is all that is needed to shine.

Sadly I thought moss was one of the better defenders last year. And that's not saying much. Moss at least showed he could play defense at times.

As long as bohannon is in they might as well go zone. Hopefully they practiced it enough to have better rotations.

If he can provide 40% perimeter shooting. The ability to pass in rhythm of the motion offense and improve his D to the tune of 1.5 steals per game. He will be worth the starting role. That's a solid SG for just about any team.

All the same Moss is one of the players that I think needs the least improvement. His ability to disappear for entire games is really more of a product of teams that chose to scheme him out and teams that took away the transition.

Fran hasn't spent much time dialing up set plays for Moss to come off screens and shoot. Not to the extent we have seen him do for other featured SG's. This season we probably see that change. There are alot of mouths to feed, but the ones that actually offer immediate return on investment are Moss and Cook. Since they both actually possess NBA level athleticism getting both of them to the NBA would be the work of Moses coming down Mt Sinai. That feat would ring true credence on the recruiting trail. The kind that might sway a top recruit that isn't following some blockchain payday.

Short and sweet we need to feed the 2 NBA hopefuls and reap a bountiful harvest. If Moss is not ready for this role it is not a good indicator for this years success.

If Jok & Uthoff can't make an NBA roster, there's no way in hell Moss is gonna!