OK Lawyers - What's the Deal?

eyekwah

Putting his in Football because no one is paying attention to the other forums.

So I am reading through the Iowa Constitution and come across Article IX - Education and School Lands. The Constitution states the following:
"
State university. Section 11. The State University shall be established at one place without branches at any other place, and the University fund shall be applied to that Institution and no other.

See Laws of the Board of Education, Act 10, December 25, 1858, which provides for the management of the state University by a Board of Trustees appointed by the Board of Education. See also sec. 2 of 2nd. division of this Article"

Later there are these words;
Seat of government established-state university. Section 8. The seat of Government is hereby permanently established, as now fixed by law, at the City of Des Moines, in the County of Polk; and the State University, at Iowa City, in the County of Johnson."

How was the State able to establish Iowa State and UNI as universities given the language in the constitution?

Would you happen to be looking at the ORIGINAL 1857 Constitution of the State of Iowa? I also have a copy of that. I assume it's been amended since then.

Briefly perused the amendments and saw no mention of it. Maybe it's in there somewhere, but I didn't see it.

Does this mean we have to give AIB back?

Because ISU is actually called "Iowa State University of Science and Technology." It is not THE state university of Iowa.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/code/2016/266.pdf

Same with UNI, it is not the "state university" of Iowa, but a public university governed by the same board that governs UI.

This is why UI does not have any "branches" or other campuses. They may have buildings not connected to the main campus, but those are still governed by the same rules and administration as if you were on the Pentacrest.

Last edited:
Nobody wants to hear this but the State of Iowa has two too many public universities. Our forefathers would have been much wiser to allow the State University of Iowa to establish smaller branch campuses elsewhere, just as Wisconsin (and others) did. Today's funding-based dilemma is primarily because the state's lazy, do-nothing lawmakers increasingly refuse (I could charitably change "refuse" to "cannot afford" but that would be untrue as state funding support for higher education is a choice) to fund the ones we have, forcing the universities to compete with each other and look elsewhere for financial survival.

Nobody wants to hear this but the State of Iowa has two too many public universities. Our forefathers would have been much wiser to allow the State University of Iowa to establish smaller branch campuses elsewhere, just as Wisconsin (and others) did. Today's funding-based dilemma is primarily because the state's lazy, do-nothing lawmakers increasingly refuse (I could charitably change "refuse" to "cannot afford" but that would be untrue as state funding support for higher education is a choice) to fund the ones we have, forcing the universities to compete with each other and look elsewhere for financial survival.

Would that have changed if they would have gone ahead with the AIB satellite campus deal, which, ironically would have been in the same city as the state Capital. That AIB deal never did work out, correct?? They buried that idea?

Don't live in the state anymore, so don't know the specifics, but of course state funding for higher education is a choice. As are roads, as is public safety, as are state health programs, and the list goes on and on. Isn't that the whole point of electing legislators, to make those choices based on priorities? If everything is just funded at whatever level requested by the recipients of those dollars, there's not enough money to go around.

The first logo for Iowa State was "AAC" for Ames Agricultural College (which resembles Ames Community College) and letterwinners wore an "A," not an "I."

The first logo for Iowa State was "AAC" for Ames Agricultural College (which resembles Ames Community College) and letterwinners wore an "A," not an "I."

Please tell me it was a Cardinal 'A' and not Gold. That would put them right in-line with The Scarlet Letter. They have to wear their Cardinal 'A' as an admission of their shame and adultery (with sheep) until they can repent and live a morally-just life.

I believe every Univerist with a "state" after it's name is a Land Grant university, which comes from Federal Funding in the late 1800s. Where as the University of Iowa was set up and funded by the State of Iowa. Google "land grant universities" and you'll get some of your answers.

I believe every Univerist with a "state" after it's name is a Land Grant university, which comes from Federal Funding in the late 1800s. Where as the University of Iowa was set up and funded by the State of Iowa. Google "land grant universities" and you'll get some of your answers.

I think you nailed it.

I think you nailed it.

True, in many case where there are two majors in one state.

However, the University of Kentucky, University of Georgia, University of Florida are all land grant schools...along with a bunch of others that aren't "state" ... like Virginia Tech, Texas A&M etc

However, the University of Kentucky, University of Georgia, University of Florida are all land grant schools...along with a bunch of others that aren't "state" ... like Virginia Tech, Texas A&M etc
I knew there were a few land grant schools without the "state" after their name but I wasn't gonna do the work to sort them out. Thanks for the assist.

So we really do not have an answer to what eyekwah was asking?

Only four Big Ten Institutions are not land grant colleges; Michigan, Indiana, Iowa and Northwestern. Some of the others may have begun as state universities but were later designated to be land grant colleges.

Technically, Iowa Agricultural College was established in 1858 four years before the Morrill Act establishing land grant institutions. This means the agricultural college preexisted the land grant act at least on paper. The Morrill bill was introduced in 1887 so I suspect the state were aware that federal funding would be coming for the project.

During the mid to late 1800's the state of Iowa was experiencing an land rush. The population went from essentially none in 1832, to 675 thousand in 1860 at the onset of the Civil War. By 1900 the population would reach 2.2 million, slightly over 2/3 of its current total. Since 1900 Iowa's growth rate has averaged a paltry 0.3%. It seems rather amazing that in the census of 1870 the state of Iowa had the 11 largest population in the U.S. Iowa is now ranked 30th in state population.

The early large population influx accounts for Iowa has historically had two major universities rather than one.

Technically, Iowa Agricultural College was established in 1858 four years before the Morrill Act establishing land grant institutions. This means the agricultural college preexisted the land grant act at least on paper. The Morrill bill was introduced in 1887 so I suspect the state were aware that federal funding would be coming for the project.

During the mid to late 1800's the state of Iowa was experiencing an land rush. The population went from essentially none in 1832, to 675 thousand in 1860 at the onset of the Civil War. By 1900 the population would reach 2.2 million, slightly over 2/3 of its current total. Since 1900 Iowa's growth rate has averaged a paltry 0.3%. It seems rather amazing that in the census of 1870 the state of Iowa had the 11 largest population in the U.S. Iowa is now ranked 30th in state population.

The early large population influx accounts for Iowa has historically had two major universities rather than one.

The first Morrill Act (1862) granted federal land in each state that could be sold to support science-oriented education at a new or an existing insttiution. Hence the name, "land grant school."

Latest posts