OK Lawyers - What's the Deal?

The first Morrill Act (1862) granted federal land in each state that could be sold to support science-oriented education at a new or an existing insttiution. Hence the name, "land grant school."

Yes, My point was had the legislature known that the huge population expansion they were undergoing would come to a screeching halt within 40 years, they might have done things a little differently. On the other hand Iowa has over the last benefited over the last 150 years from having two large state schools. It is only within the last 25 years that the cost structure has gotten out of control for institutions of higher learning.

In many ways the two universities are quite different in terms of academic programs. ISU, befitting its beginnings as an agricultural school, offers degrees in ag, home ec, veterinary science, fashion and design, etc. There's nothing wrong with having two universities if they are focused on different areas. What's a little harder to justify is having two engineering colleges, two colleges of liberal arts and sciences, two business schools, in a state whose population would seem to indicate the need for one of each.

In many ways the two universities are quite different in terms of academic programs. ISU, befitting its beginnings as an agricultural school, offers degrees in ag, home ec, veterinary science, fashion and design, etc. There's nothing wrong with having two universities if they are focused on different areas. What's a little harder to justify is having two engineering colleges, two colleges of liberal arts and sciences, two business schools, in a state whose population would seem to indicate the need for one of each.
I would add the college of education to the duplicated list. All three regent institutions educate students to be classroom teachers. Higher Ed not only in Iowa but nationally is need of reform.

I would add the college of education to the duplicated list. All three regent institutions educate students to be classroom teachers. Higher Ed not only in Iowa but nationally is need of reform.

Ah, I missed that one because it wasn't listed among Colleges at the top of the Colleges & Departments page on the ISU website. "Education, School Of" was tucked in amongst all the departments. And yes, I completely agree with you on both counts: It's redundant for all three Regents institutions to have Colleges/Schools of Education, and the field of teaching education at the university level is badly in need of reform nationally.

Given that UNI was founded as the Iowa State Teachers' College, why not consolidate education teaching there? It would have the added benefit of boosting their enrollment and revenue without having to just outright take money from UI and ISU and give it to UNI.

Latest posts