Ok. It's time

My God! You think playing time should be determined by stats?! Unbelievable. Woody does so much on defense that never shows up statistically. Yeah, he doesn't have a signature move yet. Yeah, he's not a real offensive threat yet. Does that mean he's ineffective? No way. How many times did Utoff get beat in the lower line of the zone defense that Woody, Mel and Gabe got fouls called on them trying to recover from a simple baseline drive that never should have happened?

Actually, to your point, most of the times Uthoff got beat baseline in the 2-3, Woodbury wasn't the anchor. That's when McCabe, Gabe and Mel got the clean up fouls. Seemed to me that Woodbury's communication skills really helped stop the baseline attack when he was in the game. Dumb foul on his part, though, after a clean block.

I agree Gessell, Marble, Uthoff, White, Basabe is our best 5, but I kind of like Uthoff coming off the bench. Uthoff, Marble, White is our best scoring option and with Uthoff coming off the bench we have 2/3 of those players in the game most of the time. Usually White goes to bench first Uthoff comes in and Marble stays in, and white comes in Marble goes out and by the time Uthoff ready for a rest Marbles back in. We can still play all 3 of them late in the game and get Uthoff 25 to 30 minutes. If Uthoff starts we're going to see segments of only 1/3 players on the court at once and the defence will concentrate on them and we could find trouble scoring in those instances.

I think having a solid scoring 6th man off the bench is very underestimated. Plus if uthoff starts we don't have any player coming off the bench that can really play the 3 position. And we have a cluster of Woodbury/Olaseni/McCabe to play the 4/5 off the bench.

Last edited:
I love stats. A lot. I'm a big sabre guy in baseball and I like a lot of the statistical things that go a long with basketball but lets face it, a lot of this game can't really be quantified thus creating a lineup and distributing minutes based upon stats that don't capture the entire story is risky.

I get the use of a plus/minus stat and it has it's uses but it's very team dependent. I don't like team dependent stats when determining the usefulness of an individual player.

I see Woody as a good role-player who just happens to start. He does somethings well (and a lot of what he does well is hard to quantify) and he struggles at other things. Starting is incredibly overrated and really only matters if you have players that get weird about such things (we don't seem to have players like this)

I see Woody as a good role-player who just happens to start. He does somethings well (and a lot of what he does well is hard to quantify) and he struggles at other things. Starting is incredibly overrated and really only matters if you have players that get weird about such things (we don't seem to have players like this)

I agree I don't think Uthoff is sitting on the bench thinking this is BS I should be in the starting lineup 16 games into his college career. He's getting plenty of minutes and probably realizes he's gonna start the next 2 years.

Yeah Ken Pom doesn't like plus minus either. I'm less concerned with starting then the allotment of bench minutes.

Clark Kellog himself and among other analyst have mentioned it might be a good idea to slim down bench depth.

While I'm not sure I agree with eliminating anyone entirely I would like to see less minutes dedicated to role players and more to Iowas best. Obviously aside Uthoff. I'm looking at McCabe and with marble sometimes doing point occasionally Clemmons. On poor games woody or Gabe. Just more minutes to white marble and Uthoff.

Latest posts