Ok - I like Kirk Ferentz Again!

MelroseHawkins

We fans are a schizophrenic bunch. Why do I second guess the guy? Can't I just be happy that KF for the most part keeps Iowa relevant? Yes, he can be a yo yo coach at times with some mediocre seasons mixed in, but for the most part he has given Iowa an identity and they play to that identity.

There are many programs like Nebraska or Indiana that wish they could find an identity. Iowa has one. Why isn't that enough for me? Teams really don't like to play Iowa secondary to the "bloodbath" they receive from the lines. Why can't I be happy with that? Yes, at times Iowa has its struggles or seasons where one scratches their head, but, Ferentz runs a pretty clean program, has high standards and is looked at positively by most his peers and media.

Iowa is one bad coach hire from being and Indiana, Minnesota or even Purdue. Ferentz is a pretty safe bet as a coach, because he usually has a competitive team.

You know, when we hear from other teams players, coaches, or the media that "You always know what you are going to get with Iowa", maybe we should take a step back and take that as a compliment instead of an insult.

The most frustrating part of this whole thing is that middle of the pack sucks. We've been middle of the pack since 1981. Just when I think we took a step to the next level (2009,2015) we go 7-5, are destroyed by Stanford and lose to an FCS team. While I agree we are one bad hire away from being Illinois, we are one good hire from being a team like Wisconsin. Sconie is playing in their 4th B1G championship since 2011 and could get to their 4th Rose Bowl in 7 seasons. I'm not delusional enough to think we should be Ohio State and competing for national championships every year, but I do think we can take the next step and compete for the conference title every year. Can we do that with Ferentz?

The most frustrating part of this whole thing is that middle of the pack sucks. We've been middle of the pack since 1981. Just when I think we took a step to the next level (2009,2015) we go 7-5, are destroyed by Stanford and lose to an FCS team. While I agree we are one bad hire away from being Illinois, we are one good hire from being a team like Wisconsin. Sconie is playing in their 4th B1G championship since 2011 and could get to their 4th Rose Bowl in 7 seasons. I'm not delusional enough to think we should be Ohio State and competing for national championships every year, but I do think we can take the next step and compete for the conference title every year. Can we do that with Ferentz?

Competing for the B1G title every year means competing for the National Championship every year.

I think it is reasonable to be ranked in the top 25 every year, which most years means coming in second in the West.

Middle of the pack, you need a new calculator, Calculator. In that 35 year time period Iowa has played in 4 rose bowls and 2 orange bowls. And so many other bowls and huge bowl victories.

Let's see, 5 Big 10 Titles and one West Division title in 35 years which is about 1 out of every 6-7 years and when you consider there have been 10-11 teams in the Big those years that is a way better rate than other teams not named Mich, OSU, and PSU.

Many writers and prognosticators put Iowa as the 3rd best Big team in this time span or at least the 3rd-4th.

Now I wish KF had more killer instinct like Fry did and then KF might have 2 more titles and about 30 more wins in 18 years. But that being said middle of the pack is incorrect.

I guess in my mind Iowa should be an 8-4 team or better every year and compete for a West and BIG championship. I think Iowa should have those 10-2 and 11-1 years every so often. I think they should maintain that level. A 7-5 season is disappointing to me as two of the wins are most likely against non-conf teams that you should beat so a 7-5 really equates to .500 for me.

I expect or hope them to do better than 8-4, but a periodic 8-4 is fine as you are competitive and gets the team into a decent bowl game.

This team is a young aggressive OC hire away from going to the next level and possibly having more consistent 10-2 seasons.

I guess in my mind Iowa should be an 8-4 team or better every year and compete for a West and BIG championship.

This team is a young aggressive OC hire away from going to the next level and possibly having more consistent 10-2 seasons.

It is interesting that KF usually has very good defenses especially scoring defenses so you would think he could take some chances offensively at least through the first 3 qtrs of games. Maybe that is why we see the fake fgs and 4th down plays earlier in a game and those plays are in the opponents territory.

I agree to have a better and more aggressive OC and now KOK looks like a guy we could live with.

If you saw Kubiak's choice for a FG last nite that was gutsy, 62 yarder with 1 minute left in OT which missed leaving KC with the ball at the Denver 48.

Competing for the B1G title every year means competing for the National Championship every year.

I think it is reasonable to be ranked in the top 25 every year, which most years means coming in second in the West.

This is correct. With our facilities, coaching stability, conference etc. I think expecting a top 25 team most years is reasonable and not asking too much. The "down years" maybe just outside the top 25. We should never lose to FCS teams or teams we are favored by two touchdowns at home though.

And they have done it with 3 different coaches so it slays me when people are scared of change. The next guy could just as easily take us to where Wisconsin is or on the cusp of being an OSU or Michigan. Kirk has done great things, doesn't mean someone else can't be greater.

Middle of the pack, you need a new calculator, Calculator. In that 35 year time period Iowa has played in 4 rose bowls and 2 orange bowls. And so many other bowls and huge bowl victories.

Let's see, 5 Big 10 Titles and one West Division title in 35 years which is about 1 out of every 6-7 years and when you consider there have been 10-11 teams in the Big those years that is a way better rate than other teams not named Mich, OSU, and PSU.

Many writers and prognosticators put Iowa as the 3rd best Big team in this time span or at least the 3rd-4th.

Now I wish KF had more killer instinct like Fry did and then KF might have 2 more titles and about 30 more wins in 18 years. But that being said middle of the pack is incorrect.
During that 35 year period Wisconsin has 6 B1G titles (playing for a 7th), 4 division titles (only been in divisions for 6 years), and 6 Rose Bowl appearances.

During this time Iowa is ranked 6th in wining percentage in the B1G. Remove Nebraska because they didn't join until 2011 and Iowa jumps to 5th.

I'm not saying we need to be world beaters but but it seems that we have been on the same plateau for years and it's absolutely frustrating, especially when you see a comparable program like Wisconsin (who we beat 18 years in a row) have more success.

I guess in my mind Iowa should be an 8-4 team or better every year and compete for a West and BIG championship. I think Iowa should have those 10-2 and 11-1 years every so often. I think they should maintain that level. A 7-5 season is disappointing to me as two of the wins are most likely against non-conf teams that you should beat so a 7-5 really equates to .500 for me.

My thoughts exactly and couldn't have said it better.

During that 35 year period Wisconsin has 6 B1G titles (playing for a 7th), 4 division titles (only been in divisions for 6 years), and 6 Rose Bowl appearances.

During this time Iowa is ranked 6th in wining percentage in the B1G. Remove Nebraska because they didn't join until 2011 and Iowa jumps to 5th.

I'm not saying we need to be world beaters but but it seems that we have been on the same plateau for years and it's absolutely frustrating, especially when you see a comparable program like Wisconsin (who we beat 18 years in a row) have more success.

No doubt Wisky has passed us up the last 10 years but you brought up since 1981 and Wisky was terrible for years before and after 1981.

I still say that it is mainly KFs conservatism which has held back his team from loftier season goals. Look no further than 2009 at OSU late in the game and there are other times where the killer instinct was not there to pile on and make a lead bigger, or how many times have the hawks fallen behind on the road because of being so conservative early on offense then after KF gets behind his teams outplay the competition the final 2-3 quarters. I can probably bring up many of those games as examples, some they won like 2012 at MSU, 2009 at MSU and many others.

No doubt Wisky has passed us up the last 10 years but you brought up since 1981 and Wisky was terrible for years before and after 1981.

I still say that it is mainly KFs conservatism which has held back his team from loftier season goals. Look no further than 2009 at OSU late in the game and there are other times where the killer instinct was not there to pile on and make a lead bigger, or how many times have the hawks fallen behind on the road because of being so conservative early on offense then after KF gets behind his teams outplay the competition the final 2-3 quarters. I can probably bring up many of those games as examples, some they won like 2012 at MSU, 2009 at MSU and many others.
Those Wisconsin stats are from 1981 to present and since they were bad in the 80's it makes it all the more frustrating.

Wisconsin had their breakthrough year in 1993 and went to the Rose Bowl and then kicked butt from 1998 thru 2000 which just so happened to coincide with our worst 3 year stretch since the 70's.

Then from 2001 thru 2009, when KF got it turned around, we kicked their ass on every level....B1G titles, head-to-head, overall record, BCS bowls, etc.

Then, the fake punt happened in 2010 and it started their run of 3 straight Rose Bowls and 5 division/conference titles. We looked like maybe we might have turned the tide last year by winning at Camp Randall and getting them in our place this year....to hopefully make it 2 in a row. That would have given us 2 straight division championships. Unfortunately, we couldn't make it happen. The barometer is now Wisky in the West....we have to get it back from them.

Wisconsin had their breakthrough year in 1993 and went to the Rose Bowl and then kicked butt from 1998 thru 2000 which just so happened to coincide with our worst 3 year stretch since the 70's.

Then from 2001 thru 2009, when KF got it turned around, we kicked their ass on every level....B1G titles, head-to-head, overall record, BCS bowls, etc.

Then, the fake punt happened in 2010 and it started their run of 3 straight Rose Bowls and 5 division/conference titles. We looked like maybe we might have turned the tide last year by winning at Camp Randall and getting them in our place this year....to hopefully make it 2 in a row. That would have given us 2 straight division championships. Unfortunately, we couldn't make it happen. The barometer is now Wisky in the West....we have to get it back from them.

And we will struggle to get it back from them (or NE) until KF releases the offense. Defense can have its struggles, but those are usually against spread teams

What sucks is to continually watch an offense struggle to do anything unless we have NFL running backs, and even this year we were brutal in most of our games

Iowa is one bad hire away from being Nebraska. :D

Seriously, Kirk built his brand by doing exactly what they did over the last 3 weeks of the season. Tough, physical and sometimes surprisingly explosive.

And we will struggle to get it back from them (or NE) until KF releases the offense. Defense can have its struggles, but those are usually against spread teams

What sucks is to continually watch an offense struggle to do anything unless we have NFL running backs, and even this year we were brutal in most of our games

Kirk doesn't understand the importance of momentum. Iowa had it and it was because of pressure on Kirk. His entire focus was to relieve the pressure (thus the tenured contract) and that killed the momentum. He cared more about killing the pressure than maintaining the momentum. If Iowa finishes with a Bowl win he'll find a way to kill whatever momentum it generates. He doesn't understand how Wisky does it because Wisky's recipe includes accountability. And he doesn't want that for himself. If you read between the lines he resented the pressure that came with last year's success. That's why he says things like rankings don't mean crap. His halo was never real for those willing to be objective.

Kirk doesn't understand the importance of momentum. Iowa had it and it was because of pressure on Kirk. His entire focus was to relieve the pressure (thus the tenured contract) and that killed the momentum. He cared more about killing the pressure than maintaining the momentum. If Iowa finishes with a Bowl win he'll find a way to kill whatever momentum it generates. He doesn't understand how Wisky does it because Wisky's recipe includes accountability. And he doesn't want that for himself. If you read between the lines he resented the pressure that came with last year's success. That's why he says things like rankings don't mean crap. His halo was never real for those willing to be objective.

You should get this message out there more. Gotta get that seat heating up again.....

It is interesting that KF usually has very good defenses especially scoring defenses so you would think he could take some chances offensively at least through the first 3 qtrs of games. Maybe that is why we see the fake fgs and 4th down plays earlier in a game and those plays are in the opponents territory.

I agree to have a better and more aggressive OC and now KOK looks like a guy we could live with.

If you saw Kubiak's choice for a FG last nite that was gutsy, 62 yarder with 1 minute left in OT which missed leaving KC with the ball at the Denver 48.
One of the reasons why Iowa usually has a very good scoring defense is because of the offense. When the offense is working the way it is designed, it becomes the 12th defender. It eats up the clock and doesn't turn the ball over. The other team can't score if they don't have the ball. The defense runs into problems when they are on the field too much.

The more years that go by and the more I watch Iowa beat higher ranked teams and struggle with lower rank teams the more I realize that KF doesn't have a defensive strategy and an offensive strategy - he has a whole game strategy. Keep the ball in the offense's hands as long as possible , keep the defense as fresh as possible. This allows a team that may not have the strength of depth to rotate players as much as needed to stay as fresh as possible.
When you look at it that way, it does shed some light on some of the personal choices that have been made throughout the years.

Latest posts