OK, CJ FRED EXPERTS

HuckFinn

"It is better to remain quiet and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." Mark Twain

Thank you to Chad L. on HawkCentral for this...

CJ F's season updates:

23.1 points per game
58.3% shooting average
48.9% from 3 point range
3.9 assists average
3.2 rebounds average

Team: 34-3

His team had to win 10 straight games in order to reach the Kentucky State Championship game, which they won. CJ scored 32 points on 9/15 shooting in that game. We all know that he was GatorAid Player of the year in Kentucky.

As to the critics' charge that Kentucky is not a good basketball state (which I am not sure where that evidence was produced), and that CJ's team did not play stiff competition, you will be interested to know that there are NO basketball classes in Kentucky. And, CJ led his team to that championship from a relatively small school. Its like the old days in Iowa when I played hs ball. And, no, we did not use peach baskets and center jump after every bucket. But I do remember Sioux Center, Iowa, beating Davenport Central HS in 1959 for the Iowa State Championship. If you are interested, I can name the starting 5 for Sioux Center along with their heights, and where they played in college.

Boy. This sure was fun to write! Cannot wait for our negative group to poke (imaginary) holes in this summary of Chad L.'s article. Just a reminder: Chad is the media guy that called Fran out and said that in the future, Iowa basketball teams should be bound for the NCAA tournament nearly every year. That darned old cowardly Iowa Media.

I think you miss the point on CJ. The issue is whether he brings skills to the coyrt that Iowa needs.....desperately. Or uz he another cookie in the oreos box that also will compete with the favorite player of the coach.

"It is better to remain quiet and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." Mark Twain

Thank you to Chad L. on HawkCentral for this...

CJ F's season updates:

23.1 points per game
58.3% shooting average
48.9% from 3 point range
3.9 assists average
3.2 rebounds average

Team: 34-3

His team had to win 10 straight games in order to reach the Kentucky State Championship game, which they won. CJ scored 32 points on 9/15 shooting in that game. We all know that he was GatorAid Player of the year in Kentucky.

As to the critics' charge that Kentucky is not a good basketball state (which I am not sure where that evidence was produced), and that CJ's team did not play stiff competition, you will be interested to know that there are NO basketball classes in Kentucky. And, CJ led his team to that championship from a relatively small school. Its like the old days in Iowa when I played hs ball. And, no, we did not use peach baskets and center jump after every bucket. But I do remember Sioux Center, Iowa, beating Davenport Central HS in 1959 for the Iowa State Championship. If you are interested, I can name the starting 5 for Sioux Center along with their heights, and where they played in college.

Boy. This sure was fun to write! Cannot wait for our negative group to poke (imaginary) holes in this summary of Chad L.'s article. Just a reminder: Chad is the media guy that called Fran out and said that in the future, Iowa basketball teams should be bound for the NCAA tournament nearly every year. That darned old cowardly Iowa Media.
This will be brought up in 3 years. SMH

oneal_aguilera2-8-2017-20170208024844192.jpg

Shaq shows Stormy how to dunk that oreo

I think you miss the point on CJ. The issue is whether he brings skills to the coyrt that Iowa needs.....desperately. Or uz he another cookie in the oreos box that also will compete with the favorite player of the coach.

Not at all. I have never argued that we don't need more quickness at the guard positions. But, I remember when you and others were complaining that Iowa did not have enough shooters and athletic players. Don't know about his oreo status. As with any recruit, no one will know how the player will work out in the long run. I am just saying that those who have already written him off, and attacked his ability since he comes from a state that has been claimed to be a poor producer of good players, should look at the data. This nonsense that is being preached about Fran that he would not bench his son in a heartbeat if someone came along and was a better point guard. Do you really think he would bet his coaching career on a 19 year old, even if that kid is his son.
More likely, he would never have signed him if he did not believe as a professional coach that Connor could add some very positive things to the team. Lets all wait and see how these guys work out, rather than second guessing the coaches' ability to recruit the right players. Does anyone really believe that Fran does not know that he needs to recruit quickness and athletic ability at the point and 2 guard positions? Come on.

I am willing to consider him as a possibly valuable recruit. Shooting 1500 shots a day should help his free throw accuracy. He could be just what the Hawks have needed since Mike G. His passing ability, according to his coach. could work wonders for the Hawks.....
Didn't have a clue as to his game, but the DMR article provided some worthy accolades.....

When the X man arrives, we shall be a team that will strike fear in the hearts and minds of our hapless opponents.....

Oh, Yes.....

It is coming like a Mount Everest avalanche.....

:cool:

Last edited:
Not at all. I have never argued that we don't need more quickness at the guard positions. But, I remember when you and others were complaining that Iowa did not have enough shooters and athletic players. Don't know about his oreo status. As with any recruit, no one will know how the player will work out in the long run. I am just saying that those who have already written him off, and attacked his ability since he comes from a state that has been claimed to be a poor producer of good players, should look at the data. This nonsense that is being preached about Fran that he would not bench his son in a heartbeat if someone came along and was a better point guard. Do you really think he would bet his coaching career on a 19 year old, even if that kid is his son.
More likely, he would never have signed him if he did not believe as a professional coach that Connor could add some very positive things to the team. Lets all wait and see how these guys work out, rather than second guessing the coaches' ability to recruit the right players. Does anyone really believe that Fran does not know that he needs to recruit quickness and athletic ability at the point and 2 guard positions? Come on.
He can shoot. We don't know how athletic he is. We don't know if he can play defense at the BIG level. Those attributes are missing from his game film, so we'll have to wait and see.

I saw a video, recently, of CJ and he certainly is more athletic that I had first realized. He will have a role on this team. However, he does not bring the foot speed and quickness that we need. So, CJ isn't a zero sum gain as a Hawkeye. He can become a valuable member. But he isn't being brought in to fix speed and quickness. Fran still needs to do that. We have at least 1 scholly left. Fran still has work to do.

You have heard me say that in general FM teams are terrible at D fundamentals and speed.

I dont recall complaining about shoothing. They stink at half court.

He gets or cant coach players who cant drive left and right. Dont see any thing to help that.

FM does get what he wants. He wants CM to be a 3 or 4 year starter at 1 or 2. So he got a shooter to complement him.

We got smoked in a weak P 5 conference.

You have heard me say that in general FM teams are terrible at D fundamentals and speed.

I dont recall complaining about shoothing. They stink at half court.

He gets or cant coach players who cant drive left and right. Dont see any thing to help that.

FM does get what he wants. He wants CM to be a 3 or 4 year starter at 1 or 2. So he got a shooter to complement him.

We got smoked in a weak P 5 conference.
9 double digit losses in a bad BIG conference. That's second only to Lickliter in conference futility, over the past 40 years.
Only 5 teams in the BIG had winning conference records. That's MSU, OSU, Michigan, Pudue and Nebraska.
We played those 5 teams, 7 times in regular season play and 1 time in BTT. Here are those results. They are not pretty and the majority of them are not even close.
Home vs Michigan = 75 - 68 LOSS
Home vs OSU = 92 - 81 LOSS
Home vs Purdue = 87 - 64 LOSS
@ Nebraska = 98 - 84 LOSS
Home vs MSU = 96 - 93 LOSS
@ OSU = 82 - 64 LOSS
@ Michigan = 74 - 59 LOSS
Neutral vs Michigan (BTT) = 77 - 71 OT LOSS

What exactly does "we're just IOWA" mean? And what does that have to do with my comment?

i'm just curious. i don't agree that Fran can't coach. He's taken 3 one-bid schools to the NCAA. All three of those teams are on the east coast. I believe Fran has had an issue finding above average pg's. But that isn't coaching. That is recruiting. On the flip side of things, ferentz almost universally gets the "we're just Iowa" benefit of the doubt to account for his coaching (lack of) abilities. Personally, I don't give ferentz that excuse, and I won't give Fran that excuse. But, to me, Fran is a good coach, kirk is average. I believe folks aren't comprehending that severe impact a lack of foot speed and quickness on the perimeter hurts defense and half court offense. Fran brings in loads of talent; except for the type of pg needed. If he had, I believe our results would be vastly different.

That's why I'm curious.