OK, CJ FRED EXPERTS

Not at all. I have never argued that we don't need more quickness at the guard positions. But, I remember when you and others were complaining that Iowa did not have enough shooters and athletic players. Don't know about his oreo status. As with any recruit, no one will know how the player will work out in the long run. I am just saying that those who have already written him off, and attacked his ability since he comes from a state that has been claimed to be a poor producer of good players, should look at the data. This nonsense that is being preached about Fran that he would not bench his son in a heartbeat if someone came along and was a better point guard. Do you really think he would bet his coaching career on a 19 year old, even if that kid is his son.
More likely, he would never have signed him if he did not believe as a professional coach that Connor could add some very positive things to the team. Lets all wait and see how these guys work out, rather than second guessing the coaches' ability to recruit the right players. Does anyone really believe that Fran does not know that he needs to recruit quickness and athletic ability at the point and 2 guard positions? Come on.

Didn't Lackluster play Little Lick because he thought he had the right stuff? :)

The Big Ten is full of strong, athletic, quick players. I'm really concerned. Frederick and Weiskamp (sp?) are gonna have to hit the weight room....immediately

Weight room, yes, but that isn't a Fran strength. In these videos he is for sure better than CM. He has a nice follow through. His shooting form is far better than CM. He is quicker. His left is suspect and he will lose the ball in the Big going left as is, but Fran DOES NOT get players to get better bi directionally.

Watching any video is limited without seeing a whole game for the whole court. He does see the court well and he does have some tendency to keep his head down on the drive. In essence a quicker and better form shooter than CM with similar passing skills. Can't go bi directionally as well, but does drive more.

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/video-junior-guard-cj-fredrick-vs-holmes

Was hoping for some Hinrich HS video. As a Jayhawk Hinrich was much quicker and stronger and could go both ways with ease. I can see why he said that and it's not fair to compare HS to college, but quickness can change...some.

The dribbling though, I just don't remember seeing FM coach players improve from day one to the end.

In the end, still a nice addition. Think he's better than CM by a decent amount. I doubt CM will be a sub player for long and we still don't know where the really quick guard defender/drive guard is.

FM has who he wants. He doesn't want a fast pg with good skills for intangible reasons.

This kid doesn’t look physically ready to me to expect him to help much but perhaps a couple years and he gets stronger and after Moss/Dailey gone maybe he’ll be ready to help. Sounds like a hard working kid and a good shooter.

Last edited:
I like the fact that he's dedicated himself to improving his game. That kind of ownership of craft is always a plus. Fran is not a "details" type of coach, so it bodes well for him to be self motivated.

i'm just curious. i don't agree that Fran can't coach. He's taken 3 one-bid schools to the NCAA. All three of those teams are on the east coast. I believe Fran has had an issue finding above average pg's. But that isn't coaching. That is recruiting. On the flip side of things, ferentz almost universally gets the "we're just Iowa" benefit of the doubt to account for his coaching (lack of) abilities. Personally, I don't give ferentz that excuse, and I won't give Fran that excuse. But, to me, Fran is a good coach, kirk is average. I believe folks aren't comprehending that severe impact a lack of foot speed and quickness on the perimeter hurts defense and half court offense. Fran brings in loads of talent; except for the type of pg needed. If he had, I believe our results would be vastly different.

That's why I'm curious.

Agree with most of the above...except the "loads of talent". Fran's brought in some good talent, but not "wow" kinda talent. And to your point, not bringing in talent at a key position could reasonably be described as "not bringing in the right talent".

I'm not big on the "we're just IOWA" excuse for KFz either. He's made conscious choices about the kind of player he pursues, and it's sometimes self-limiting. (WR is a good example).

But KFz still gets the edge as the overall better coach as he's gotten us National recognition, contention for Big Ten titles and some "wow" seasons where we ended highly ranked.

Agree with most of the above...except the "loads of talent". Fran's brought in some good talent, but not "wow" kinda talent. And to your point, not bringing in talent at a key position could reasonably be described as "not bringing in the right talent".

I'm not big on the "we're just IOWA" excuse for KFz either. He's made conscious choices about the kind of player he pursues, and it's sometimes self-limiting. (WR is a good example).

But KFz still gets the edge as the overall better coach as he's gotten us National recognition, contention for Big Ten titles and some "wow" seasons where we ended highly ranked.
Agreed. KF is a much better coach than Fran, in their respective sports.

Weight room, yes, but that isn't a Fran strength. In these videos he is for sure better than CM. He has a nice follow through. His shooting form is far better than CM. He is quicker. His left is suspect and he will lose the ball in the Big going left as is, but Fran DOES NOT get players to get better bi directionally.

Watching any video is limited without seeing a whole game for the whole court. He does see the court well and he does have some tendency to keep his head down on the drive. In essence a quicker and better form shooter than CM with similar passing skills. Can't go bi directionally as well, but does drive more.

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/video-junior-guard-cj-fredrick-vs-holmes

Was hoping for some Hinrich HS video. As a Jayhawk Hinrich was much quicker and stronger and could go both ways with ease. I can see why he said that and it's not fair to compare HS to college, but quickness can change...some.

The dribbling though, I just don't remember seeing FM coach players improve from day one to the end.

In the end, still a nice addition. Think he's better than CM by a decent amount. I doubt CM will be a sub player for long and we still don't know where the really quick guard defender/drive guard is.

FM has who he wants. He doesn't want a fast pg with good skills for intangible reasons.
Hinrich was strong with both hands and he could score at the rim, in high school. I don't see CJ's game as strong as KH was, at this point in their careers.

My only real gripe with KF is his conservative nature on offense. He trusts his defense to win games but not his offense. That sends a horrible message to send to his players.

Only one?

You think he trusts his D or does he only trust himself not to make mistakes?

LOL Fran's comments are laughable. There are NCAA teams with entire starting line ups with freshmen and they seem to be able to play defense. Look we have some talent on this team. All I can say is Fran better have this team playing better next year and IF Cook, Bohannon, Kriener, those guys all stay 4 years and we toddle along like we have been Fran needs to be BROOMED.

If he's as good as he sounds and continues to trend upwards Iowa's other players will see it first hand this summer. This may motivate some Hawks to give more of an effort on defense next year...so they can stay on the floor. Fran has moved true freshmen into the lineup in the past...ahead of guys that were used to starting. IF our 2 true freshmen can play defense this could be next year's starting lineup...not saying it will be.

Fredrick
Bohannon
Wieskamp
Cook
Garza

Yeah, and Bohannon and Tyler Cook as well.

By fluff piece does he mean the Register left out all the interviews that said he sucked? Or did they put in false quotes from people that never even made positive remarks? I always thought fluff pieces were when writers gave their own personal opinion.

Here is the offseason schedule from the article:

• Monday: Get to open gym two hours early at 4 p.m. for individual work with an assistant coach until 5:30; open gym from 6-7:30; head over to a local community college and sprint up the main building's 200 or so steps at 8.
  • Tuesday: Team conditioning from 3-4 p.m. and individual workouts from 4:30-6.
  • Wednesday: Same as Monday.
  • Thursday: Same as Tuesday.
  • Friday: Shoot 1,500 shots in the gym.
  • Saturday: Open gym at 8 in the morning, find another open gym at another school when Covington Catholic’s is over.
  • Sunday: Double sessions of workouts.
I'm pretty sure this would violate Iowa's (and most state's) off-season limited contact rules? Does Kentucky not have those rules?