OK, CJ FRED EXPERTS

Here is the offseason schedule from the article:

• Monday: Get to open gym two hours early at 4 p.m. for individual work with an assistant coach until 5:30; open gym from 6-7:30; head over to a local community college and sprint up the main building's 200 or so steps at 8.
  • Tuesday: Team conditioning from 3-4 p.m. and individual workouts from 4:30-6.
  • Wednesday: Same as Monday.
  • Thursday: Same as Tuesday.
  • Friday: Shoot 1,500 shots in the gym.
  • Saturday: Open gym at 8 in the morning, find another open gym at another school when Covington Catholic’s is over.
  • Sunday: Double sessions of workouts.
I'm pretty sure this would violate Iowa's (and most state's) off-season limited contact rules? Does Kentucky not have those rules?

If I'm reading it right he only has team activities on Tuesday and Thursday, right? I guess I took "assistant coach" to mean someone not related to the program just someone who helps him. I assume the open gym stuff is just open gym and not a team organized activity

Not at all. I have never argued that we don't need more quickness at the guard positions. But, I remember when you and others were complaining that Iowa did not have enough shooters and athletic players. Don't know about his oreo status. As with any recruit, no one will know how the player will work out in the long run. I am just saying that those who have already written him off, and attacked his ability since he comes from a state that has been claimed to be a poor producer of good players, should look at the data. This nonsense that is being preached about Fran that he would not bench his son in a heartbeat if someone came along and was a better point guard. Do you really think he would bet his coaching career on a 19 year old, even if that kid is his son.
More likely, he would never have signed him if he did not believe as a professional coach that Connor could add some very positive things to the team. Lets all wait and see how these guys work out, rather than second guessing the coaches' ability to recruit the right players. Does anyone really believe that Fran does not know that he needs to recruit quickness and athletic ability at the point and 2 guard positions? Come on.

hey, huck. i get it. i stated in another thread that the last video i saw of CJ, he looked a lot more athletic than i had thought. he's a good shooter for sure. i don't think he's overly athletic, but more than i thought and i feel much better about him at the B1G level.

By fluff piece does he mean the Register left out all the interviews that said he sucked? Or did they put in false quotes from people that never even made positive remarks? I always thought fluff pieces were when writers gave their own personal opinion.

A fluff piece to him is an positive article about a player he's already closed his mind to the possibility of being any good.

Leistikow writes a lot of puff pieces, and to a certain degree that's part of his job but it also means you take his word with a grain of salt.
CJ Fredrick's game does not resemble Kirk Hinrich's in the slightest, I think that's just more of a lazy comparison because of the connection to Iowa on Crean's part - and the obvious one - because Fredrick is white, he can naturally only be compared to other white guys.
I think Fredrick will wind up being better than a lot of people assume, but the fact of the matter is that neither him, nor Wieskamp, or Garza and Nunge the year before address our real concern which is a play making PG.

LOL Fran's comments are laughable. There are NCAA teams with entire starting line ups with freshmen and they seem to be able to play defense. Look we have some talent on this team. All I can say is Fran better have this team playing better next year and IF Cook, Bohannon, Kriener, those guys all stay 4 years and we toddle along like we have been Fran needs to be BROOMED.

These teams play defense and carved up teams that rely on underclassmen:

https://sports.yahoo.com/incredible-final-four-field-missing-031830782.html