Oh Cowturd

He is wrong, because 1) Iowa didn't choose which teams were in the western division teams, 2) didn't create the crossover BIG10 schedule and 3) all other Power 5 schools typically have a couple of cupcakes on their schedules. He is choosing to single out Iowa for what reason?
I think from listening to him in the past is he’s a guy that has his pecking order of where the teams should be stacked. He has his top 10-15ish programs that considers the top tier prestige wise and Iowa’s not in it.. Now since Iowa did what they did and the powers that be had Iowa ranked so high late in the year due to them being perfect and how the other schools out there had done it became a national topic for guys like him to talk about. He’s not a fan of schools that crash the party. Especially ones that aren't flashy with a Heisman contender really. I think the reason to that is as simple as this. Name recognition is better for ratings. His program is national. Say he’s talking about Notre Dame, USC, Ohio State, Michigan, and Alabama as a top 5 for example he’s got pretty much the most amount of fans there can be tuned in day in and day out. You take out any of them for an Iowa and they can notice the ratings change I bet. So to combat that they have to stir the pot by firing up not only the Iowa fans to make sure they are all paying attention but the rest of the college football fan world to think Iowa don’t belong so they have a story line to follow… Now I’m not a media guy at all and I bet Jon Miller could answer to this sort of thing better than I but that’s my 2 cents worth of a guess.

He has also spoken out against Baylor and their out of conference schedule as well so he hasn't just singled out Iowa. The post before me described him best. He makes it no secret that he prefers the big names and isn't crazy about the pecking order in college football changing.

OOC games wouldn't be such a big deal if the big10 west was legit. As Iowa fans, we need to cheer for all big10 west teams when they're playing out of the division.

He is wrong, because 1) Iowa didn't choose which teams were in the western division teams, 2) didn't create the crossover BIG10 schedule and 3) all other Power 5 schools typically have a couple of cupcakes on their schedules. He is choosing to single out Iowa for what reason?

I still can't disagree with him. He didn't say we chose our schedule, just that it's very favorable. Surely you don't think our schedule is tough this year (or last)?

I hate all this talk about easy schedules. We really don't know how good or bad teams are going to be yet. I look at the schedule and see games we could lose: ND State, I hate to say it but no matter what we can always lose to the clowns. NW, Michigan, @ Penn State, @ Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin, @ Illinois. Of all those games, we could easily lose 3 or 4 of them. I'm hoping for 12-0 too, but to act like it's a cakewalk is ridiculous.

I cant stand the guy. And what I hate most is him talking about the 5* player. It shows how stupid he really is. A 5* player can be developed. It is just not his rating coming out of HS. King is a 5* player now. But wasnt 4 or 5 years ago.

And using his logic, OSU, UM or MSU would always represent the BIG. I believe he would be ok to only keep the teams that can recruit the big name players and shuffle the rest to another division.

He is a douche.

Iowa has a large and engaged fan base. Cowherd needs ratings... ignore him and he'll stop trolling Iowa and go after someone else.

If you want to avoid this if you're Iowa, teams like ND State and Miami OH cannot be on the schedule in the same year. One of those two games has to be a power 5 team and that's all you really have to do to make it look like you are trying to schedule tougher. I think starting in 2018 or 2019, there are open spots where I feel like they are trying to get something done with another power 5 team. Until then, the out of conference schedule's look weak. Hopefully they can figure out a buyout with North Texas or Wyoming and schedule a more interesting game.

For a team like Iowa, it would not matter if the non-con schedule was LSU, UCLA and Florida State, and Iowa won them all. I exaggerate a bit, but for teams like Iowa (or Baylor, or North Carolina, or whatever non blue-blood you want to mention), they aren't getting the benefit of the doubt in getting in to the playoff. Just the way things are.

If the field expands to 8 or 16 teams, then schedule strength will matter more. If Iowa goes 13-0, it's in the playoff. If Iowa goes 12-1 and wins the B1G title game, it would have a chance of getting in depending on what others have done.

^^^^ I understand what you're getting at, but I don't understand it in how it relates to my post. My post isn't about getting into the playoff. It's about creating a more positive national perception.

For a team like Iowa, it would not matter if the non-con schedule was LSU, UCLA and Florida State, and Iowa won them all. I exaggerate a bit, but for teams like Iowa (or Baylor, or North Carolina, or whatever non blue-blood you want to mention), they aren't getting the benefit of the doubt in getting in to the playoff. Just the way things are.

If the field expands to 8 or 16 teams, then schedule strength will matter more. If Iowa goes 13-0, it's in the playoff. If Iowa goes 12-1 and wins the B1G title game, it would have a chance of getting in depending on what others have done.
I sorta agree but kinda don't.. In the sense that it'll take time to change perception. Say Iowa plays a tougher non con schedule like you say for the next 5 to 10 years and does well with it. Then you'll see them get that benefit of the doubt. But no a couple good years against a softer schedule sure won't do it and it's easy to see why. I've always figured 12-1 and winning the BIG title game is the floor of what it'd take for Iowa to get in and I have no problem with that. A two loss Bama OSU or some other big time program are about the only ones that could get in with more than 1 loss it's a really short list. Expanding the playoffs would expand that obviously. I doubt there'd ever be 8 1 loss teams or less a year.

What will be really embarrassing is if we head into turkey weekend needing a win against the Bugeaters to go to a bowl game. That's what scares me.

What will be really embarrassing is if we head into turkey weekend needing a win against the Bugeaters to go to a bowl game. That's what scares me.

Anything less than 7 wins going into black Friday would be a very very disappointing.

Normally I am a "8 wins is a pretty good year" guy. This year, all things considered, 8 wins would be very average, 7 would be disappointing, 6 or less would be awful. I really think we should be 9 or more, this year, all things considered and even with a "bad" loss.

I cant stand the guy. And what I hate most is him talking about the 5* player. It shows how stupid he really is. A 5* player can be developed. It is just not his rating coming out of HS. King is a 5* player now. But wasnt 4 or 5 years ago.

And using his logic, OSU, UM or MSU would always represent the BIG. I believe he would be ok to only keep the teams that can recruit the big name players and shuffle the rest to another division.

He is a douche.

In addition, often times it's the players around you on the high school team that might help make you a 5*.

^^^^ I understand what you're getting at, but I don't understand it in how it relates to my post. My post isn't about getting into the playoff. It's about creating a more positive national perception.

I think they are related. The best way to change perception is to win. If Iowa wins the B1G title game last year, no one gives a flying fart about the non-con schedule of Iowa State, Pitt, North Texas and Illinois State.

I've always been I'm the camp, and will remain so, that says a power 5 champion who is undefeated should be in the playoff. I think the committee and the power 5 conferences all agree. The strength of Iowa 's schedule comes into play when we are 11-1 and begging to be in the playoff. If the loss came against wisconsin, then we run the table with wins over Michigan and OSU or Michigan State in the Big Title game we have a legitimate argument to be included. Any other one loss scenario and I think cowherd is absolutely correct. Reward a one loss team with a tougher schedule.

I still can't disagree with him. He didn't say we chose our schedule, just that it's very favorable. Surely you don't think our schedule is tough this year (or last)?
I'm not saying Iowa's schedule was extremely tough. Just don't think they need to take that much criticism for it. They don't control that they are in the BIG10 west and what their conference schedule looks like. Also if you look at all the SEC programs they have at least 2 cupcakes on their schedules and one of those games happening late in the season.

Latest posts