Oglesby/Woodbury/Fran at Wells Fargo Arena today

HAWKEYESTATE4ever

I just got home from watching Oglesby's unranked Cedar Rapids Washington team beat Adam Woodbury's #5 Sioux City East team.

Fran was there shaking hands and kissing babies in his "Member's Only" jacket. :D

Oglesby had just 3 points in the 1st half, but he really got it going in the 2nd half. I think he ended up around 16-18.

The 7-1 Woodbury really struggled with a small Washington front line. I think he ended up around 6-8 points. He had a few turnovers too.

This is the third year of the last four that I have watched Woodbury, and I just do not understand the hype. I don't think he is a high-level Big Ten caliber player.

Yes, he is 7-1. But he is slow, weak, uncoordinated, and plays dirty. Not a great combination for becoming a quality Big Ten player.

That is my assessment, and has been for the last 4-5 years. I am not a D1 coach though, and do not know half as much about basketball as they do.

But as an Iowa fan, I really hope they go another direction with a 2012 big man. Woodbury does not make us better over the next 4-5 years.

Anyone else out there seen him play? What are your thoughts?

I thought Woodbury was taken out of the game by Wash, they really packed the paint, however I do see D1 talent there, it just needs development though. I didn't think he played dirty, just trying to be physical because Wash was trying to shove him out. Oglesby was getting assualted essentially all game and was probably to selfless in first half which is y he had 3 points. Since wash has no other talent, they picked up as soon as he decided to be the offense instead of creating for others. East was outcoached by Wash.

Last edited:
I would like to see Woodbury in a Hawk uniform because of his size. Even if his game is a bit rough (I have never seen him play, couldnt make my own assessment) I feel he can be coached under Fran's staff to be a good inside presence for us.

My feeling about Woodbury is that he would be a good get for Iowa, but only if they got a right now ready to play JUCO or prep guy in Spring. I hear a lot of people compare a Archie to past 6'11" - 7 footers at Iowa that took some time to develop. That is Woodbury. If you think he is going to come in with guns blazing as a frosh, you are asking too much. But give him a couple of years with this staff and it will be a whole different deal.

I believe I read somewhere that he likes to play on an uptempo team. Not many 7 footers wanna run so just finding one that is willing to run our offense is something that is tough to find.

My feeling about Woodbury is that he would be a good get for Iowa, but only if they got a right now ready to play JUCO or prep guy in Spring. I hear a lot of people compare a Archie to past 6'11" - 7 footers at Iowa that took some time to develop. That is Woodbury. If you think he is going to come in with guns blazing as a frosh, you are asking too much. But give him a couple of years with this staff and it will be a whole different deal.

Agree. Let's be honest about what we have and what we need. With the loss of Cole we need someone that can be very physical down low and that is very hard to get from an 18-19 year old. Perhaps a JUCO big man is the way to go?

I would think a Big Ten team that has a good returning nucleus and having to beat out Brommer for a starting spot would lure some big man that is looking for playing time on a team that has a lot of potential.

Now on the other hand, I have not seen this Gabe Olaseni play to know what he would bring to the table... sounds like this Sunrise Academy is somewhat treated like a Jr College and we know Fran is highly interested in his teammate Katenda.

Sigh... if we could just get another surprise like Reggie Evans again.

Agree. Let's be honest about what we have and what we need. With the loss of Cole we need someone that can be very physical down low and that is very hard to get from an 18-19 year old. Perhaps a JUCO big man is the way to go?

Now on the other hand, I have not seen this Gabe Olaseni play to know what he would bring to the table... sounds like this Sunrise Academy is somewhat treated like a Jr College and we know Fran is highly interested in his teammate Katenda.

Sigh... if we could just get another surprise like Reggie Evans again.

A strong prep player is as good as a straight to JUCO player. The difference is when you have a D1 transfer to JUCO who is ready to move back up.

Woodbury would be a great recruit for us. He definitely doesn't take over like he should at this level, but he is athletic for a 7 footer. At this stage, he is way ahead of any other 7 footer we have had at Iowa, by far...Thok isn't bad either. Only question I have is how does East have 7'1", 6'11", and 6'8" and lose? Ever!?

Most big men need some development...Fran's probably licking his chops at the thought of bringing in a 7 footer like Woodbury...even if he has to pluck a JUCO guy for the short term. Guys like Lohaus, Reiner and Hansen turned out fine, later in their careers...even Acie came in as an awkward baby giraffe who could only block shots...by the time he left he was a less awkward baby giraffe who could do a lot more than that.

I like Oglesby's quote on Woodbury from the article:

"A left-handed 7-1 kid. What else would you want on your team? Especially when the biggest dude on the Iowa team now is 6-8.’’

I don't think Thok should be overlooked either. It would be so nice having two big guys to protect the paint as opposed to having one that you have to leave in all the time. Either of these guys would help us from being so undersized in the B1G 10.

Look how Brommer has been able to develop under the right guidance. Woodbury is a key recruit for us because of his potential. But he's not going to be a recruit that starts dominating the second he steps onto the court. There are very few freshman that have that kind of immediate impact.

I would take 6'7-6'9 athletic guys any day before 7ft projects go thru the top 10 teams let me know how many 6'10 plus guys that impact the game are on there roster. They day of the "typical center" is over.

This question is serious. Please don't read negativity into it. Can someone please tell me exactly the particular strengths Ogelsby brings to Iowa. White is long, quick, and has some ball skills. Woodbury, if he comes, has height. What are Ogelsby's particular strengths?

Last edited:
I've never seen him play but it sounds like Oglesby will immediately be the best 3 pt threat on the team. He also has a good basketball IQ and a pretty good passer.

Woodbury is rated the 108th best player of 2012 and the 18th best Center by Rivals. He is also listed as 220 lbs from the summer so I'm sure he'll add more weight before his freshman year.

I think it's a little harsh to call him a project. Like most big's it might take him a year or two to develop into a really good player but he is at the top of my wishlist.

If he will be the best three point threat with Gatens on the team that is saying something.

Really? Just don't think too many people are all that terrified of Matt hitting a big three at any point in the game, or even getting on an unstoppable streak. Matt is a glue guy, not an assassin.

Latest posts