Official way to early: Orange Ticket Frauds come to Carver Game thread

Why is it that the two posters who ripped Iowa most of the game, swore the Hawks were done, disappeared at the end of the thread.

Another poster even called us lucky at the end of the half. But when the other team hits a shot like it's never luck.

It will be rinse and repeat for the next game. Iowa is winning most close games now. Deal with it. That was one hell of an effort for the third game in a week, even if all of them were at home.

When was the last time any B1G team knocked three teams out of second place in one week?
Yup. And IL is a very good basketball team.

Nice to have the BTen tourney seeding advantage vs Illinois, altho it probably won't mean much as Iowa's season has shown: any team (other than MN) can beat any other team on any given day, with the exception of Purdue.

Nice to have the BTen tourney seeding advantage vs Illinois, altho it probably won't mean much as Iowa's season has shown: any team (other than MN) can beat any other team on any given day, with the exception of Purdue.
And the seeding advantage vs. Rutgers. Now we need to hang on to stop Four seed.

I was at the game and it was a good crowd. I was standing probably the last 3 minutes. I was telling people early in the 2nd half that the foul shooting was saving us from getting blown out and it might get us the win.

I was at the game and it was a good crowd. I was standing probably the last 3 minutes. I was telling people early in the 2nd half that the foul shooting was saving us from getting blown out and it might get us the win.
Maybe best crowd in numbers and involvement this season. Sure would be nice if we could get more Sat. & Sun. games instead of weeknight starts at 8:00.
BTW, the student section was packed and really loud.

Thoughts about today's game:

+Rebounds are important. Even granting that Illinois may be one of the best in the country at that, this game is a laugher if we just get some of those. And you can bet that will be a huge point of emphasis at practice leading up to the Purdue game;

+But (not) turning the ball over is even more important. We'd been in a rut on that front recently. But today, despite the Illini athleticism and whatever else, we only made two in the 2nd half - and that was huge;

+That said, free throws remain perhaps THE biggest factor in tight games. It is a bit bothersome that Perkins makes 15 straight free throws, then misses only one. But that one has us biting our nails to and maybe even a moment or two past the final buzzer. But what an effort by this team - almost 90% from the line, shooting 30 free throws, most of them in the critical 2nd half. And again, we needed every single one of them;

+Like others, I am not a fan of Stephen Bardo. When the camera is off, he is known to give thumbs ups, high fives and whatever else to Illini players and coaches, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY PLAY IOWA. But I did think he did a good job today, perhaps knowing that his every word was going to be parsed. Still, I don't think it is smart to use either an Iowa alum or Illini alum on a national telecast between these two teams. I would feel the same way about a game between teams like Duke and North Carolina;

+I'm going to go against conventional wisdom and say the officials did a good job at today's game. They could've called 100 more fouls - which is typical Big Ten basketball anymore (what I call 'Izzo ball'). And I'm sorry, but every Illini player and coach should not be allowed to go on and on and on with the refs with each and every call made against them. But they seemed to have control of this game from the start. And when we started getting the majority of foul calls in the 2nd half, even Stephen Bardo agreed that it was because Illinois was not making smart plays;

+While I saw a 3-4 point Iowa win even from the moment I woke up Saturday, I had no inkling - and I doubt anybody did - that if we did win, it was because we would be able to ride the shoulders of Tony Perkins. What an effort!

Is there something wrong with me that I think we have a shot in Mackey Arena Thursday night??

+Rebounds are important. Even granting that Illinois may be one of the best in the country at that, this game is a laugher if we just get some of those. And you can bet that will be a huge point of emphasis at practice leading up to the Purdue game;

+But (not) turning the ball over is even more important. We'd been in a rut on that front recently. But today, despite the Illini athleticism and whatever else, we only made two in the 2nd half - and that was huge;

+That said, free throws remain perhaps THE biggest factor in tight games. It is a bit bothersome that Perkins makes 15 straight free throws, then misses only one. But that one has us biting our nails to and maybe even a moment or two past the final buzzer. But what an effort by this team - almost 90% from the line, shooting 30 free throws, most of them in the critical 2nd half. And again, we needed every single one of them;

+Like others, I am not a fan of Stephen Bardo. When the camera is off, he is known to give thumbs ups, high fives and whatever else to Illini players and coaches, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY PLAY IOWA. But I did think he did a good job today, perhaps knowing that his every word was going to be parsed. Still, I don't think it is smart to use either an Iowa alum or Illini alum on a national telecast between these two teams. I would feel the same way about a game between teams like Duke and North Carolina;

+I'm going to go against conventional wisdom and say the officials did a good job at today's game. They could've called 100 more fouls - which is typical Big Ten basketball anymore (what I call 'Izzo ball'). And I'm sorry, but every Illini player and coach should not be allowed to go on and on and on with the refs with each and every call made against them. But they seemed to have control of this game from the start. And when we started getting the majority of foul calls in the 2nd half, even Stephen Bardo agreed that it was because Illinois was not making smart plays;

+While I saw a 3-4 point Iowa win even from the moment I woke up Saturday, I had no inkling - and I doubt anybody did - that if we did win, it was because we would be able to ride the shoulders of Tony Perkins. What an effort!

Is there something wrong with me that I think we have a shot in Mackey Arena Thursday night??
We have less than 1% imo. Would love to be wrong but that’s an L

We have less than 1% imo. Would love to be wrong but that’s an L
This is one game where I actually wish Ogendule was available. He gave Ekey fits in the conference championship game last year.

But yeah, on top of everything else Purdue probably hasn't forgotten that loss. And while we did give them a heck of a game without Keegan (ankle) last year, Mackey has been a house of horrors for a long line of Iowa coaches.

Someone would have to step up and have the game of his life.

This is one game where I actually wish Ogendule was available. He gave Ekey fits in the conference championship game last year.

But yeah, on top of everything else Purdue probably hasn't forgotten that loss. And while we did give them a heck of a game without Keegan (ankle) last year, Mackey has been a house of horrors for a long line of Iowa coaches.

Someone would have to step up and have the game of his life.
I thought I heard Fran say that Ogundele is practicing again. Are we sure he’s going to miss the Purdue game? I agree that he gives us a better chance to win. With Purdue I think defense is what definitely needs to be good or great in order to have a shot at getting the win. I have a hard time seeing us being able to stop Edey or if we do stop him seeing us being able to guard the kick out to their shooters. We will have to rebound better than we did against Illinois. A win would be huge for us.

I thought I heard Fran say that Ogundele is practicing again. Are we sure he’s going to miss the Purdue game? I agree that he gives us a better chance to win. With Purdue I think defense is what definitely needs to be good or great in order to have a shot at getting the win. I have a hard time seeing us being able to stop Edey or if we do stop him seeing us being able to guard the kick out to their shooters. We will have to rebound better than we did against Illinois. A win would be huge for us.
We are stacking quality in-conference wins like IHOP stacks pancakes. And wins don't get much bigger than that one if we got it.

Bardo may have an issue with loyalty but he is pretty good.

Had Iowa lost at the end would have been a lot of batching about officiating. Illini fans largely did not complain. Lived in 3 Big states. To be frank it's kind of an Iowa thing....in re to the amount.

3 wins and in.
Just have to stay out of, or at least on the upper fringe of, the eight or nine team muck that is the second tier of this league.

We could see some separation in February, but if the season ended now there would be a razor's edge separating about eight teams and room in the dance for six at the most (don't have the NET, KenPom or any of that nitty gritty on front of me)

Somebody is going to get totally hosed. Iowa and Illinois went at it yesterday like two teams who knew the loser of that game might be one of them. (I think as things stand right now its Michigan; I'd have to see who they've been beating in the league but it seems like they lose to anyone good). We are stacking up tie breakers. Big time.

Last edited:
My humble prediction is 5-3 or 6-2, probably 5-3. Purdue and Ind most likely losses, and one of the NW or WI away games- I am thinking NW most likely loss. If we accomplish this, we are certainly dancing regardless of BT Tourney.

Just have to stay out of, or at least on the upper fringe of, the eight or nine team muck that is the second tier of this league.

We could see some separation in February, but if the season ended now there would be a razor's edge separating about eight teams and room in the dance for six at the most (don't have the NET, KenPom or any of that nitty gritty on front of me)

Somebody is going to get totally hosed. Iowa and Illinois went at it yesterday like two teams who knew the loser of that game might be one of them. (I think as things stand right now its Michigan; I'd have to see who they've been beating in the league but it seems like they lose to anyone good). We are stacking up tie breakers. Big time.
That's a typical Underwood game. He hasn't sold the locals yet. Last year and year before the team was starting to be more warm with the community. This year a set back with connection.