!*****Official 'The Indomitable B1G West Showdown' Game Thread*****!

Results?

• Iowa by 1 or 2 points

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wisky by 1 or 2 points

• Wisky by 3 points

• Wisky by 11-21 points

• Wisky by 22+ points

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Take out Beyer’s complete F up and we win. Simple as that.

In a game this competitive and this tight it comes down to to the team that makes the first mistake.

That was us.

And unfortunately that mistake was the biggest and most costly brain fart of the Ferentz era, SHAWN BEYER. This game either makes or breaks the season. Simple as that. And yes, I’m calling out a player.

You’re on a B1G team and that play was something you knew the answer to since the first time you put a fucking helmet on. You stay the F away from the ball on a punt unless you’re the returner. And you sure as SHIT don’t start blocking people when the ball is on the floor. No one can return it for F’s sake. It doesn’t get simpler than that.

If you got too much adrenaline going that you couldn’t make a coherent decision, then get off that field. You don’t have the stones to play ball. Spin it as many ways as you want but that’s the truth. It was elementary and cost your team the game.

Write the kid a check for his next two years and send him packing.

First of all we don't know what was or wasn't being communicated to Beyer at that moment? It seemed to me that returner faked an attempt to make a play at the ball at the last second possibly drawing the defenders unnecessarily and aggressively to the play/ ball causing Beyer to sustain his blocking??

Our punt returner also fair caught the ball at the 3 yard line earlier. Maybe your anger should be directed at the special teams coach instead?

Regardless you are way out of line and I for one am tired of reading your narcissistics posts you assbag. Rob, back in the day Jon would have banned posters for a lot less than this amount of calling out a player so why don't you step up and send this douchebag packing?

First of all we don't know what was or wasn't being communicated to Beyer at that moment? It seemed to me that returner faked an attempt to make a play at the ball at the last second possibly drawing the defenders unnecessarily and aggressively to the play/ ball causing Beyer to sustain his blocking??

Our punt returner also fair caught the ball at the 3 yard line earlier. Maybe your anger should be directed at the special teams coach instead?

Regardless you are way out of line and I for one am tired of reading your narcissistics posts you assbag. Rob, back in the day Jon would have banned posters for a lot less than this amount of calling out a player so why don't you step up and send this douchebag packing?
Send me packing if you want. I'm sure there are many of you who would support it.

It breaks down to something so simple it's almost comical...you can personally defend it all you want but it comes down to staying the F away from a punted football unless you are the returner. Fake or not, fair catch or not. No reason to block. None. He should have known that, and if not he shouldn't be on the field at this level. Have you watched a full football game before? Is there something lacking here?

If you're mad about me calling it out, then I'm sorry. Your pussy-footedness doesn't make the situation any better. I'm not the only one to understand it and post about it... @BVHawk95 among others was a ball player; maybe you'd take his advice over mine?

As far as the fair catch at the 3, you'd see (if you even watched the game) that he had no blockers in position and the coverage team was all over him from the outside angles. Returners are taught to evaluate 1) by footsteps coming (yes that's even a thing in Kinnick when it's loud), and 2) what their sight picture looks like when the ball hits top dead center. When the ball hits the apex there's a quick glance up field and then back to the ball. The fair catch was the right call. But I'm way out of line, huh?

Last edited:
Yep...it's pretty simple. That was the kind of stupid crap a high school player pulls from time to time. Get the F away from the F'ing ball! No reason for that to happen at this level, in a game that important. Four games in and the season is over.

Send me packing if you want. I'm sure there are many of you who would support it.

It breaks down to something so simple it's almost comical...you can personally defend it all you want but it comes down to staying the F away from a punted football unless you are the returner. Fake or not, fair catch or not. No reason to block. None. He should have known that, and if not he shouldn't be on the field at this level. Have you watched a full football game before? Is there something lacking here?

If you're mad about me calling it out, then I'm sorry. Your pussy-footedness doesn't make the situation any better. I'm not the only one to understand it and post about it... @BVHawk95 among others was a ball player; maybe you'd take his advice over mine?

As far as the fair catch at the 3, you'd see (if you even watched the game) that he had no blockers in position and the coverage team was all over him from the outside angles. Returners are taught to evaluate 1) by footsteps coming (yes that's even a thing in Kinnick when it's loud), and 2) what their sight picture looks like when the ball hits top dead center. When the ball hits the apex there's a quick glance up field and then back to the ball. The fair catch was the right call. But I'm way out of line, huh?

Yes, you are out of line and displaying an abundant amount of ignorance. I wasn't advocating the returner return the ball. He should have known where he was on the field. A returner should set up at the 10 yard line and let the ball go if it is going over his head (which this would have been doing) and the ball would have most likely gone into the endzone for a touchback. But so what if it didn't? Not a lot of difference between the 3 yard line vs 1 yd line. Do I really need to explain this to you?

So our punt returner made this fundamental mistake and possibly didn't communicate to Beyer later to clear out (btw Beyer was going full out and not like he just dicking around out there) and again it looked to me like our returner was thinking about picking it up or at least faking that to the defense. If so why? He wasn't going anywhere and Beyer may have interpreted the coverage team's aggressive pursuit as more reason to block.

This kind of smells like bad coaching to me. Throw in a fumble by the returner to boot and maybe he is not the right guy for THAT job. That might be a coaching issue as well.

Pussyfooting? You are being an ignorant asshole. Attack the coaches. They make enough coin and have chosen this profession so it comes with the territory.

Last edited:

I agree sometimes players need to be called out, especially for REALLY dumb mistakes, but I think your idea of cutting him from the team is taking it too far.

The punt return unit needs to go through another round of situational awareness and attention to to the fundamentals. Groeneweg still needs to play within himself even when he is taking chances on punt returns. He also needs to be decisive about when to try a return, when to fair catch, and when to get away from the ball.

You don't want to take all of Groeneweg's aggressiveness away, but you don't want chaos out there either.

Yep...it's pretty simple. That was the kind of stupid crap a high school player pulls from time to time. Get the F away from the F'ing ball! No reason for that to happen at this level, in a game that important. Four games in and the season is over.

Begging yr pardon, but the season is far from over! Wisc. is prolly the best team we'll face this year. Judging by our intensity, if we eliminate mistakes, we can still win the West.
Wisc. has a far harder schedule than we do! It's possible they could lose 2 or even 3 times in conf. play. Can someone post Wisky's remaining schedule, plz?
At any rate, if we win out, or only lose one more game, we're looking at a 2 loss season in conf and overall.
That's a New Year's day bowl~~~!!!