****Official msu IOWA Game thread***

Tough loss. I have a question. When posters claim Iowa BB is back, where does back officially refer to. Back to Alford years, Davis, Raveling?

Tough loss. I have a question. When posters claim Iowa BB is back, where does back officially refer to. Back to Alford years, Davis, Raveling?

Good question. Probably Davis years my guess. I think is more "back" to simply being competitive in general though...or "back" to having a chance for NCAAs. Prob depends on who ya ask though.

Finally, a good post. Yes tough loss. Why, no mental toughness. No killer from 3 three. No power forward with swagger. A center that looks like a 3. Iowa is not back and will not be until the above happens. People are happy getting the best kids out of Iowa. Sorry, we got abused tonight and will for the next two years. Give me Chris Street, Eddie Horton, Doug Thomas, even Huluska. No killers here now.

What do you mean when you say "No killers"?

I mean, that term is pretty much an abstract phrase that can be used to pretty much define, well, any attribute in sports so you nonsensical, rage ramblings would make more sense if you defined what the hell you meant.

I mean, Doug Thomas was a bench player with a bunch of flaws, a good one, who could defend but non someone who belongs on any list of Hawkeye awesomeness.

Finally, a good post. Yes tough loss. Why, no mental toughness. No killer from 3 three. No power forward with swagger. A center that looks like a 3. Iowa is not back and will not be until the above happens. People are happy getting the best kids out of Iowa. Sorry, we got abused tonight and will for the next two years. Give me Chris Street, Eddie Horton, Doug Thomas, even Huluska. No killers here now.

Whoa. No violence here please.

Frustrating. Too many long streaks of not scoring. Im hoping its youth. It will be better next season.

Iowa simply doesn't have the shooter or two who can be counted on to make space for themselves and make the basket -- whether from beyond or just inside the arc -- when points are needed, as they were last night. Gesell is not that shooter, Marble could be it but is spotty and of course didn't play last night, I have no idea what's going on in Oglesby's head, White seems more effective in transition and under the basket. Very scary when McCabe is your outside go-to guy.

Basabe had a nice game.

The officiating was horrid, just brutal. Delany needs to clean house and bring in some younger officials who can competently officiate Division 1 basketball. Jim Burr and that entire crew need to retire.

Iowa is still a few "athletic" pieces away from being able to beat the good teams.
Could be a long BIG season. Crap.

Last edited:
Were the refs really that bad? Yeah, there was a lot of contact. But there was a lot of contact both ways. (Funny how others poke fun at Izzo about his complaining of calls and yet we do the same thing here) And the calls were not consistent but they were not consistent both ways. A lot of our fouls are inexperience fouls. We let a guy get where he wants to get and they end up with no alternative but let him have what he wants or foul him. Woody does that a lot. He hasn't yet learned to beat his guy to the spot he wants, forcing him out 3-4 feet more to post up. Happens to White way too much as well. How many times was White defensively out of position and it led to an easy dunk for MSU? Also, Appling was getting to the elbow too easily.

What hurt us most was our inexperience. The freshmen haven't had a year in the weight room; look at White's strength improvement over last year. The freshmen haven't had a year at this level of competition, and not individually but together. Again, look at the sophs and juniors and how they tend not to make the silly turnovers, get out of position, not know where their defensive help is, etc.

Another huge factor was that Marble wasn't there. You simply can't take out your leading scorer and go-to guy and expect all the inexperienced players we have to perform. Who takes charge of the offense in the waning minutes of a close game for us? Marble. Who takes the shots that no one wants to take when the clock is counting down? Marble. Who has the ball in his hands when something HAS to be done? Marble. You can't simply drop him from the lineup, regardless of how he shoots, with the inexperienced lineup we have and expect to not have an impact.

Were the refs really that bad? Yeah, there was a lot of contact. But there was a lot of contact both ways. (Funny how others poke fun at Izzo about his complaining of calls and yet we do the same thing here) And the calls were not consistent but they were not consistent both ways. A lot of our fouls are inexperience fouls. We let a guy get where he wants to get and they end up with no alternative but let him have what he wants or foul him. Woody does that a lot. He hasn't yet learned to beat his guy to the spot he wants, forcing him out 3-4 feet more to post up. Happens to White way too much as well. How many times was White defensively out of position and it led to an easy dunk for MSU? Also, Appling was getting to the elbow too easily.

What hurt us most was our inexperience. The freshmen haven't had a year in the weight room; look at White's strength improvement over last year. The freshmen haven't had a year at this level of competition, and not individually but together. Again, look at the sophs and juniors and how they tend not to make the silly turnovers, get out of position, not know where their defensive help is, etc.

Another huge factor was that Marble wasn't there. You simply can't take out your leading scorer and go-to guy and expect all the inexperienced players we have to perform. Who takes charge of the offense in the waning minutes of a close game for us? Marble. Who takes the shots that no one wants to take when the clock is counting down? Marble. Who has the ball in his hands when something HAS to be done? Marble. You can't simply drop him from the lineup, regardless of how he shoots, with the inexperienced lineup we have and expect to not have an impact.

As regards your first point, we're just losers sitting at a computer whining about the officiating and not the "dean" of B1G basketball coaches who, much like Bob Knight and one or two before him, pounded the scorer's table, gestured, yelled, glared, filled officials' heads to the point it was effective in helping their teams in the way in which the game was called.

The irony here is priceless.
I mean, Doug Thomas was a bench player with a bunch of flaws, a good one, who could defend but non someone who belongs on any list of Hawkeye awesomeness.

His dunks, on the other hand....

Latest posts