Official Michigan @ Iowa game thread

Just to be clear, my posts were after the game. I was there, but can’t really post during the game. BTW, Fran said in his post game comments that a defensive lapse and missed free throws, dunks, and layups were the reason we lost. Seems to me he was right. He said every player who was on the floor tonight made great contributions. He singled out Rebraca, who had only two fewer points than Dickinson. He mentioned Pmac’s 7 point run in the come back. Mentioned Kris Murray. Said fouls limited his effectiveness. Probably a big negative impact. Keegan was praised as well.

Another BTW. If Cmac’s leadership, assists, key rebounds/loose ball recovery, good D, didn’t justify his minutes tonight, then I guess he just didn’t score any points…or shoot.

Just to be clear, my posts were after the game. I was there, but can’t really post during the game. BTW, Fran said in his post game comments that a defensive lapse and missed free throws, dunks, and layups were the reason we lost. Seems to me he was right. He said every player who was on the floor tonight made great contributions. He singled out Rebraca, who had only two fewer points than Dickinson. He mentioned Pmac’s 7 point run in the come back. Mentioned Kris Murray. Said fouls limited his effectiveness. Probably a big negative impact. Keegan was praised as well.

Another BTW. If Cmac’s leadership, assists, key rebounds/loose ball recovery, good D, didn’t justify his minutes tonight, then I guess he just didn’t score any points…or shoot.

Huck your a McCaffrey homer!! You sir have zero clue. Saying Fran outcoached Howard is laughable. Fact is if Fran gabe the minutes to the kids who deserve them Iowa wins tonight.. Connor doesn’t DESERVE THE MINUTES HE GETS!! Give me a break about leadership, kid isn’t a leader on the court he’s in the way!

I put this right up there with Rutgers and PS on games we are going to look back on as ones we really should have won. It will be tough finishing at .500 now. We are going to have to steal one of the away games now. Maybe, by then, the refs will start feeling bad about some of the game impacting calls we were NOT the benefit of? Fools hope, I know.

Y
That loss hurt
Yep we needed that one. I don’t know what the rest of our schedule looks like but I think we will over take Michigan as their schedule looks really difficult. The announcers called it murderers row last night. Over taken the seventh position and we should make it to the dance.

Of course making it to the dance means different things to different people. Apparently some are satisfied just sitting in the seats and watching the activities. I like getting out there on the floor and tearing it up.

I put this right up there with Rutgers and PS on games we are going to look back on as ones we really should have won. It will be tough finishing at .500 now. We are going to have to steal one of the away games now. Maybe, by then, the refs will start feeling bad about some of the game impacting calls we were NOT the benefit of? Fools hope, I know.

Rutgers game was a tough one to swallow. Yeah the calls didn't go our way at the end but you can blame the terrible shooting for that loss, they shouldn't have been in that position to let the official decide the outcome. Same is true last night, Keegan of all people was missing layups and even a dunk! I didn't see the final number but I'd guess that was the most turnovers Iowa has given up in awhile, might be the most all season. If Keegan makes those buckets and Iowa takes care of the ball like they normally do they are shooting free throws at the end.

Huck your a McCaffrey homer!! You sir have zero clue. Saying Fran outcoached Howard is laughable. Fact is if Fran gabe the minutes to the kids who deserve them Iowa wins tonight.. Connor doesn’t DESERVE THE MINUTES HE GETS!! Give me a break about leadership, kid isn’t a leader on the court he’s in the way!

As much as Huck is a homer you are the exact opposite. I like how Fran is using Connor, he does bring a positive energy off the bench and is solid defensively. Even though he doesn't score he does make some good passes that lead to scoring opportunities.

Guess I watch too many other games where the electricity is present from start to finish. Hlas posted a picture of the student section prior to tip off and made a comment about the lack of interest.

I wasn't at the game but watching & listening to it on TV the crowd struggled to get into it.

Well just about everything about this game sucked... Our best player missed like 3 dunks and 5 FTs... Converting on half of those misses and the game is different. I get it he wasn't 100% but his missing FTs like he has been is damn near inexcusable it wasn't just this game. He's capable of hitting 75% and that should be the floor for him.

TOs sloppy play terrible defense and missing shots literally at the freaking rim are why they lost. Improve on any one of those things just a little bit and it's a different game. Could easily bash the refs too but that'd be piling on. Control what you can and that's what's frustrating.

Iowa lost that Michigan didn't really win it so much. However that Diabate kid we had no answer for he was the best player out there. Dickenson played well too. We defended him about as well as we coulda but he played smart and hurt us with his passing. Beyond that we coulda shoulda woulda...

Guess I watch too many other games where the electricity is present from start to finish. Hlas posted a picture of the student section prior to tip off and made a comment about the lack of interest.
Lol, maybe the open mikes weren’t picking up the noise level correctly as It appeared to be a subdued crowd.

Even we we got it down to three points with two minutes left and the announcers said the crowd was going crazy, they suddenly showed part of the crowd and I about fell out of my chair laughing and it showed a few people standing and clapping but not my idea of going nuts.

Huck was at the game maybe he could give us some insight on how it was at that point. I mean these people were just standing up and a few of them clapping, but not highly enthusiastic type of clapping and cheering.

Me I would have been up, rapidly clapping, putting two hands around my mouth, screaming and cheering on the team. To be fair the group of people they highlighted seemed older, over weight and not students. I’ve seen more excitement over an announcement of buy one concession stand item and get one free, lol.

I am sure it wasn’t reflective of what was going on at the time but it was worth a good laugh. I guess the camera man must have been covering a funeral or something before coming to the game, lol.

Lol, maybe the open mikes weren’t picking up the noise level correctly as It appeared to be a subdued crowd.

Even we we got it down to three points with two minutes left and the announcers said the crowd was going crazy, they suddenly showed part of the crowd and I about fell out of my chair laughing and it showed a few people standing and clapping but not my idea of going nuts.

Huck was at the game maybe he could give us some insight on how it was at that point. I mean these people were just standing up and a few of them clapping, but not highly enthusiastic type of clapping and cheering.

Me I would have been up, rapidly clapping, putting two hands around my mouth, screaming and cheering on the team. To be fair the group of people they highlighted seemed older, over weight and not students. I’ve seen more excitement over an announcement of buy one concession stand item and get one free, lol.

I am sure it wasn’t reflective of what was going on at the time but it was worth a good laugh. I guess the camera man must have been covering a funeral or something before coming to the game, lol.
This isn't the CHA of my youth that's for sure.... What's worse having a smaller arena around 8-10k but with a wild environment or a 15k one that's less than half empty all the dang time and you can hear it when someone drops popcorn on the cement? I just wonder how many years of this can it be a thing before it's addressed but it's embarassing and it sucks

Well just about everything about this game sucked... Our best player missed like 3 dunks and 5 FTs... Converting on half of those misses and the game is different. I get it he wasn't 100% but his missing FTs like he has been is damn near inexcusable it wasn't just this game. He's capable of hitting 75% and that should be the floor for him.

TOs sloppy play terrible defense and missing shots literally at the freaking rim are why they lost. Improve on any one of those things just a little bit and it's a different game. Could easily bash the refs too but that'd be piling on. Control what you can and that's what's frustrating.

Iowa lost that Michigan didn't really win it so much. However that Diabate kid we had no answer for he was the best player out there. Dickenson played well too. We defended him about as well as we coulda but he played smart and hurt us with his passing. Beyond that we coulda shoulda woulda...
Pretty early I saw it and said they are not gonna win this game if they keep playing like that. First you go down low and Keegan back to back for a bucket then a one and one. Next trip he takes a three?? What happened to do something till they take it away. Then it is Mac thinking he is a guard and trying to drive the middle twice and they shut him down then he is back outside and they steal it from him for any easy score.

Doing things that Michigan would want you to do to help them win. They certainly lost the game. After the first technical they did not grab the momentum. Should have been up about 8 but were tied.

Of course again, at home, a solid but not spectacular player has a career night. Is this not a trend at this point??

Last edited:
Poor shooting dooms us every time. So frustrating that we miss so many close in, non or barely contested shots. FT shooting as well. It is frustrating to watch, likely worse for the Hawk players to experience. Baffles the heck out of me our up and down shooting.

Rutgers is a lot better than many folk believe

We almost beat them at their house, with the game stolen by the nasty prick zebra

They destroyed the illini by about 20 a few days ago in scarlet knight land

As poorly as we played, with the recruiting advantage the wolverines have, we almost
came back to win

Nothing to be ashamed of, at all especially considerating that the zebras were and
responsible for the wolverine victory as we/they were

Just hope Keegan recovers from the injury in good shape

It's All Good

:cool:

Nice try.

Diabate was difficult to stop when Dickinson was in the game

We couldn't guard both around the basket very well

Keegan was hammered on those dunk attempts

Last edited:
As much as Huck is a homer you are the exact opposite. I like how Fran is using Connor, he does bring a positive energy off the bench and is solid defensively. Even though he doesn't score he does make some good passes that lead to scoring opportunities.
Yup. I am a homer and glass 1/2 full. Maybe even 2/3. And, I tried to point out the good things we did tonight, but remember: I agreed that we lost due to poor FT shooting, poor 3 pt. Accuracy, and missed shots in the paint. Pretty realistic for a homer, huh?

Yup. I am a homer and glass 1/2 full. Maybe even 2/3. And, I tried to point out the good things we did tonight, but remember: I agreed that we lost due to poor FT shooting, poor 3 pt. Accuracy, and missed shots in the paint. Pretty realistic for a homer, huh?
If we hit free throws and the easy shots we missed, we win. It's that simple. I didn't think our defense was all that bad. We surrounded Dickinson when he got the ball down low, he passed it out and they hit some shots off of his passes. You have to pick your poison.