**Official Kinnick Game Day Atmorsphere Suggestion Box**

I've been to every Big-10 venue to see Iowa play, thus I think I can lend some insight.

Illinois, PSU and MSU really get their students into things....scripted chants, posters, white-outs, etc.

Iowa needs to work on that.

Keep Black in Black and Sandman....it's unique to Iowa. Visitors who I've taken to Kinnick have liked it.
Need to enhance the audio in the stadium....I know it's coming.

I have liked the ANF/Red-White-Blue posters, black outs, stripes, yellow out and the red/white/blue pom-poms. Not fancy, but again, it's something we need to keep doing.

wingfieldpig4b.jpg

JUST WIN... and if you can't win then at least score so as to give the illusion that a win is still possible

So many great ideas on this thread already it underlies how lazy and unproductive the marketing folks are.

As said by many the number one thing is winning with a close second exciting plays. We lack so much of that on offense it's pathetic. The defense has been fun with their play and the new third down rush and creative blitz packages. I cannot believe we can actually disguise it now and the players look like they are having a blast at it.

Then the music is a must with a rocking sound system. I am worried based on the new scoreboard that GB has purchased the clearance model from Walmart though. In terms of the music play a wide variety of new and old as long as the beat is good and the tunes are catchy during time outs. Think karaoke and having fun. We want the ladies up and dancing at times as well. I recall Journey's Midnight Train being a huge stadium sign-a-long from a previous season but have not heard it recently as an example. I recall that it was played at the end of a third quarter.

Forget showing the team walking out to the stadium on TV. That is usually boring as the players show little emotion. I want them bouncing up and down though when they first appear. They should never be standing there for much time. Right now it seems like an eternity.

Herky needs an attitude upgrade. I want him to run out on his own just ahead of the players and spike his flag at center field or come out on a bad a-- black and gold 4 wheeler. He needs to come out ready to throw down and get the crowd going. A little taunting of the opposing team would be nice. Hand signs about bringing it to coach Fitz.

I am ok with Back and Black / Enter Sandman. I actually like ACDC's High Voltage & Long Way To The Top for pump up prior to the game.

Let's change the semi to have past KF legends driving/riding with Herky. A different guy every week; Sanders, Roth, Claiborne, Yanda, Gallery, etc. Then I want the other team's mascot trying to run away before impact. Maybe show an Iowa City police cruiser chasing the semi to give a little Smoky and the Bandit effect. Roth and Herky can be hooping it up and high fiving on down the road.

Get rid of the Kinnick speech. Honor him another way. It is old and hard to understand half of it anyway. Replace it with videos of past players talking about Hawkeye football with video clips of great plays and hits.

Bring in an awesome drum core that can bang out some cool rhythmic beats at different times in the game. Not sure what to do with the band because it stinks. Needs major improvement and the kids need to have more fun.

I am not crazy about the halftime inductions. Are these really necessary? Do fun stuff or play good tunes.

Lots of possibilities but the key is to bring back the fun, excitement and enhance the intensity of the game.

I think we should paint the field turf all the colors of the rainbow. Then pipe in some Ringling Bros and Benny Hill music, every time our offense takes the field. At least that would be entertaining. And every game that we don't score an offensive TD, the OC should have to wear a big red nose, the following game.

OMFG! LOL.

I also think that Iowa needs to get with the times and create some bad arse alternate uniforms...and not those lame stars and stripes tigerhawk ones. It really is something that recruits for some reason care about.

Agree. I don't really get it cause I'm old. But would it kill KF to do this once in a while?

Picture1.png

If you're really serious about creating a loud raucous game day environment, then I've got one word for ya'.

Vuvuzela!

vuvuzela.jpg

I've been to every Big-10 venue to see Iowa play, thus I think I can lend some insight.

Illinois, PSU and MSU really get their students into things....scripted chants, posters, white-outs, etc.

Iowa needs to work on that.

This is all that keeps us from matching the powerhouse Illini program.

"Are you serious Clark?"... uh yeah nothing gets the crowd rocking like... uh.... country music....

That also seems like a good way to perpetuate the "Iowans are hicks" image too, IMO. You've got to get someone in charge of these types of things that has a clue of what today's college students are into.

If you ask me, if we're talking about song selection, you've got to get some heavy tunes rocking. "Bodies" by Drowning Pool, something from Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera.. Or whatever the heck is popular these days in terms of heavy music. Yeah, some of the blue hairs won't like it, but who are you trying to get pumped up? The 70 year olds in the stands, or the players on the field and the student sections?

Can someone with access to the program ask some of the guys on the team what they'd like to hear during games?

I don't know, just throwing some thoughts out there.

But for the love of Pete, you've got to get something going that the younger crowd and players can identify with. Hey Jude.. Classic song, but is not going to get a sports arena rocking. I could swear I've also seen some people mention playing "Sweet Caroline".. Not sure if that's a joke, but really? SWEET CAROLINE? Why mess around? Just play "Endless Love" and be done with it.

catsquare.png

Last edited:
If you're really serious about creating a loud raucous game day environment, then I've got one word for ya'.

Vuvuzela!

vuvuzela.jpg

Can't you just imagine how Kinnick would rock with a stadium full of these? This also would be a great fundraising opportunity for Gary Barta: I'm sure there are a lot of companies who would be willing to sponsor thousands of them, with company name/logo of course, placed on the seats as the Iowa faithful arrive. This certainly would enhance the Kinnick experience.

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpXN8BvGp_o[/video]

1. Student Ticket Prices. How much does Iowa charge students for game tickets? Alabama charges students $12.85 per game, Iowa's prices should be less than that.
2. I'll keep with the Bama examples since I went to both schools, but as a Freshman (in '98 when Bama sucked) the first part of student orientation was sending all the new students to the football stadium to learn all the cheers for the football game. Is Iowa doing anything like this?
3. I did go to a Bama game this year and they do customized video starting line ups featuring each starter on offense, defense and special teams. It's got a NFL feel to it, is Iowa doing this? Haven't been back to Iowa City since OSU in '2010.
4. The music (except Back in Black) (let the students and/or players have a say in the music selections)
5. Yes, winning is very important, but it's not the only thing. The top teams in the country still invest a lot into the gameday experience. Win or lose, it's a vital investment that must be made.
6. Someone mentioned having a Matt Roth type appear on the jumbo tron yelling to get the crowd up in certain situations. Bama is doing this with their insane Strength & Conditioning Coach, prior to opening kick off he shows up on the screen (pre recorded) and goes ballistic yelling at the fans, he also re-appears prior to the start of the 4th quarter. The fans eat this up. Maybe prior to Iowa punting the ball, they can replay Tim Dwight decapitating that punt returner from Arizona.

With all due respect to the Highlanders' history, if a lamer thing has ever been seen on a football field, I can't think of it at the moment.

Seth, this thread is not your finest hour...

Mr. Train Man....the Highlanders was purely tongue in cheek. They sucked and that's why Hayden got rid of them after his 2nd year @ Iowa.

And as far as the Illini/student section goes, they blow us away with student participation. It's embarrassing to see our Kinnick student section.

Too many old people at the game whining because people are standing up in front of them or making too much noise. Lower ticket prices and let the younger crowd get more seats.

Latest posts