***OFFICIAL Iowa v Purdue beatdown thread***

"...Great stat but also troubling. You should win easily if you only have 5 turnovers..."

Let's see why:
FG 43%, 3pt 31%, FTs 72% (missing 10, including front ends).
Reb: purdue 40/11. Iowa 31.
Mel ailing. 11 empty mins

So, if you shoot poorly, miss FTs, get out rebounded, give up 11 2nd chances you are usually lucky to win. So, I see great 'ball security' as off setting the poor shooting and lack of a healthy Basabe.

If we can get the FG% to 55+%, I would be OK with those stats most every game. We would be about 25-4, possibly better, with those stats.

Truly disappointing game. I know we won but this instills 0 confidence in this team. Fran's done a terrible job managing time and players...really poor coaching job.

"...If we can get the FG% to 55+%, I would be OK with those stats most every game. We would be about 25-4, possibly better, with those stats...."

Iowa out rebounded every team until Mel got sick, and was in top in B1G play in rebounding margin, so Mel is critical to rebounding margin.

Plus 31% 3pt shooting is below their season long offensive efficiency, so, I see Iowa needing to get back to their inside game and getting to the line.

Truly disappointing game. I know we won but this instills 0 confidence in this team. Fran's done a terrible job managing time and players...really poor coaching job.

Disappointed with a win? I'll bet the team isn't. Most fans aren't. They just fought through a tough game to stop a 3 game slide. Did they win by 20 like they maybe should have? No. Did they win? Heck yeah! I, for one, am NOT disappointed. Hopefully this is a springboard to a terrific March!

You're disappointed with a win? Your expectations were pretty high, huh?

Winning is good. Losing sucks. Going Dancing for the first time in 8 years us awesome.

Buck up camper, enjoy it.

Disappointed with a win? I'll bet the team isn't. Most fans aren't. They just fought through a tough game to stop a 3 game slide. Did they win by 20 like they maybe should have? No. Did they win? Heck yeah! I, for one, am NOT disappointed. Hopefully this is a springboard to a terrific March!

You're disappointed with a win? Your expectations were pretty high, huh?

Winning is good. Losing sucks. Going Dancing for the first time in 8 years us awesome.

Buck up camper, enjoy it.

While I'm happy with the W, I sort of see where the OP is coming from. This should have been a 20-30 point blowout. Purdue is plain bad. It looked like the Hawks were starting to put together a strong run at the end of the first half, leading by 13 going into the locker room. But WTH happened to start the second half? Iowa looked like it totally lost focus. The team struggled through the remainder of the half and was lucky to come away with a 7-point win. Mikey made some big FTs at the end.

Even with those FTs, Purdue outscored us 39-33 in the second stanza.

Does not instill great confidence for the final two round-abouts.

This should have been a 20-30 point blowout. Purdue is plain bad. It looked like the Hawks were starting to put together a strong run at the end of the first half, leading by 13 going into the locker room. But WTH happened to start the second half? Iowa looked like it totally lost focus.
C'mon, let's get back to some reality.

Purdue is not Maryland-Eastern Shore bad. Penn bad. Drake bad. Farleigh-Dickinson bad. Or even Ark-Pine Bluff bad. (Speaking of which, 20-40 point victories are not a good training for closing out games in the tough grind of the big ten conference.

Purdue is a Big Ten team not a Big South team.

It's the roller coaster ride of college basketball. I was hoping for a 20 point win, I wasn't expecting it. This could instill some confidence. The Hawks closed out the game against a bad team. Yes, a bad team. But it was still a close out.

And just to throw it out somewhere: don't tell me the big xii is the toughest conference in the country when the same team has won the conference for 10 straight years.

Iowa State only beat TCU (the worst BCS conference team in the country) by 15 at Hilton when Ejim had his 48 points. And ISU still needed 32 of those 48 points to win. So even great teams like ISU play down to inferior competition. TCU may not even be good in a mid-major conference either.

Purdue's record is very poor, but the Big is full of surprises this season. They just lost by one in OT to Michigan at West Lafayette. They beat Nebraska and Indiana. I think Michigan is the best team in the Big and has as good a chance to make the Final Four as anyone. Nebraska is tough and beat MSU at Lansing, same as Illinois, and Indiana has beaten Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa and Ohio State.They play Nebraska at Bloomington Wednesday. Hoosiers could make a run in the NIT.....

I can see Nebraska losing their last two games, and Ohio State losing to the Spartans at Columbus after we beat them at East Lansing or not. All we have to do is beat Illinois, which we are quite capable of doing, especially the last game of the season at Carver. We usually win the last game of the regular season if it is at Carver over the years.....Lick years excluded. I have deliberately forgotten about them, with one exception, holding MSU to 37 points in a victory at Carver. Terribly humiliating to the Spartans, similar to Fran beating them by 20 his first year, leading to the revenge ThugBall Beatdown the next season at East Lansing.

This was a huge game for us. We simply had to win, Hopefully we are back on track.....

:cool:

We usually win the last game of the regular season if it is at Carver over the years.....Lick years excluded. I have deliberately forgotten about them, with one exception, holding MSU to 37 points in a victory at Carver. Terribly humiliating to the Spartans, similar to Fran beating them by 20 his first year, leading to the revenge ThugBall Beatdown the next season at East Lansing.
Ahh, nice memories. I had forgotten about those games.

Just looked at the Box Score. We were outrebounded, but compensated for it with only 5 turnovers, 12 steals, and 9 of 11 from the line coming down the stretch. Gesell is elated by the win, says it doesn't matter if it not by 20 points, we broke the slump and and now ready to get back to playing as they are capable of. The Big is, as Fran said before the first conference game, Brutal this year....

It was especially satisfying to see Mike be the Hero because he was somewhat off shooting today from the field, but played a very good all around floor game, 3 assists to one TO in 27 minutes. The 5 0f 6 free throws at crunch time was priceless.....

From Hawk Central:

Painter didn’t want his players to foul Iowa senior guard Devyn Marble, who entered Sunday’s game shooting 70.0 percent from the free throw line.
“I was trying to extend the game,” Painter said. “(Gesell) had already missed one. And so I was hoping he’d (make) one out of two or maybe miss both and now we’re at one possession with the basketball and we can dictate more. Obviously, that didn’t work.”

Gesell was determined to make his free throws, knowing that Painter had instructed his players to foul him.
“I felt a little bit disrespected, but at the same time, I had already missed one in the game,” said Gesell, who finished with 15 points and has scored in double figures in six of his last seven games. “I haven’t been shooting well this year. But at the same time, I view myself as a very good free throw shooter.”

I believe he was 80% from the line last season.....

Watching MG develop as a PG has been interesting. All the energy he spends distributing has definitely taken his toll on his shooting. You see this in his FT shooting as he shoots the ball more flat than last year. Tired legs will do that. He does a good job not making mistakes, but hasn't really learned how to set his teammates up from the point yet. He also hasn't learned how to work the pick and roll with Woody yet.

I will enjoy watching him grow over the next two years.

Just looked at the Box Score. We were outrebounded, but compensated for it with only 5 turnovers, 12 steals, and 9 of 11 from the line coming down the stretch. Gesell is elated by the win, says it doesn't matter if it not by 20 points, we broke the slump and and now ready to get back to playing as they are capable of. The Big is, as Fran said before the first conference game, Brutal this year....

It was especially satisfying to see Mike be the Hero because he was somewhat off shooting today from the field, but played a very good all around floor game, 3 assists to one TO in 27 minutes. The 5 0f 6 free throws at crunch time was priceless.....

From Hawk Central:

Painter didn’t want his players to foul Iowa senior guard Devyn Marble, who entered Sunday’s game shooting 70.0 percent from the free throw line.
“I was trying to extend the game,” Painter said. “(Gesell) had already missed one. And so I was hoping he’d (make) one out of two or maybe miss both and now we’re at one possession with the basketball and we can dictate more. Obviously, that didn’t work.”

Gesell was determined to make his free throws, knowing that Painter had instructed his players to foul him.
“I felt a little bit disrespected, but at the same time, I had already missed one in the game,” said Gesell, who finished with 15 points and has scored in double figures in six of his last seven games. “I haven’t been shooting well this year. But at the same time, I view myself as a very good free throw shooter.”

I believe he was 80% from the line last season.....

TV showed Painter telling his players to foul Mike, crossing his forearms then using his fingers to display Mike's number -- 1 then 0. Based on FT percentages, probably a smart move, although Dev hardly has been Mr. Automatic at the line in closing minutes. (That's why I like in-bounding the ball to Aaron at that point.) But Mike came through yesterday.

Happy the Hawks won, a little dismayed that yet again, we allowed an opponent to score a career high in pts. Raphael Davis scored 18. What is that? 4th game in a row some guy has gone career?