***OFFICIAL Iowa v Purdue beatdown thread***

This seemed like the typical get out of a funk game against a bad team to end a losing streak. Closer than you expect but I honestly never really feared we would lose, even when we were down. I wouldn't be shocked if they played with a new found focus and beat Michigan State. If Nebraska and Illinois can win up there we sure can, even with the struggles.

Hopefully fatigue had something to do with the defensive struggles (it was terrible again today, Purdue shot almost 50%) and we play much better on that end to the season because if we're just that bad on defense now we're one and done.

they get flat when they try to spread the floor

huge difference in the off-ball movement then -- and it seems to emphasize weaknesses rather than strengths

I do love watching all the curls and cuts in the half-court sets

Now, what the hell's wrong with this awful defense?

Good win. Stops the bleeding. Something positive that the team needed. Go Hawks!

Very sloppy, a slew of mental lapses and loss of composure and another horrible defensive effort. Good to get a W but only to stop the bleeding. Any other team and this would likely be an L.

Sad to say this late, with what this team was and should have been, but still a LOT of work to do to regain mojo and do any damage at all in the tourneys.

This seemed like the typical get out of a funk game against a bad team to end a losing streak. Closer than you expect but I honestly never really feared we would lose, even when we were down. I wouldn't be shocked if they played with a new found focus and beat Michigan State. If Nebraska and Illinois can win up there we sure can, even with the struggles.

Hopefully fatigue had something to do with the defensive struggles (it was terrible again today, Purdue shot almost 50%) and we play much better on that end to the season because if we're just that bad on defense now we're one and done.

Actually I thought Iowa played very good defense for 32 minutes and very, very ugly defense for 8 minutes when Purdue outscored the Hawkeyes, 25-10. Iowa held them to 14 points over the last 12 minutes with a solid zone and late man to man.

I think I agree with some other posters.......maybe fatigue after a three game week combined with maybe the flu bug goin thru the team the week before.......I think we'll see a better defensive effort @ MSU after a little rest......at least I hope.

Very sloppy, a slew of mental lapses and loss of composure and another horrible defensive effort. Good to get a W but only to stop the bleeding. Any other team and this would likely be an L.

Sad to say this late, with what this team was and should have been, but still a LOT of work to do to regain mojo and do any damage at all in the tourneys.

Yep, and Fran just acknowledged on post game interview that defense needs work (lost Stevens and gave up too many offensive rebounds). It's a step in a long journey (hopefully). Let's see how they respond at Michigan State on the road.

Now, what the hell's wrong with this awful defense?

against wisky, staleness after the long layoff

minny and indy, fatigue and the psychological stress of the twittergate bullcrap, and the emotional stress of the wisky loss

today was better, but they still seemed flat

let's see how they look on thursday

It wasn't pretty, but it was a "W" be needed badly. Still not playing like team that wants to go into the second weekend of the Big Dance.

I think Fran has to take a look at how he does some things in the off season. Hopefully he won't go KFz and say "We are who we are". Adjustments can be a good thing.

I'd love to this team play lights out at East Lansing.

my dumb prediction of the day

hammonds is gone after this year

his numbers aren't that great but he'll be over-valued and a 1st round pick
I don't think that's a dumb prediction. He would be over-valued. He doesn't have the energy level to keep up with most NBA players around the rim. IMO.

"...Great stat but also troubling. You should win easily if you only have 5 turnovers..."

Let's see why:
FG 43%, 3pt 31%, FTs 72% (missing 10, including front ends).
Reb: purdue 40/11. Iowa 31.
Mel ailing. 11 empty mins

So, if you shoot poorly, miss FTs, get out rebounded, give up 11 2nd chances you are usually lucky to win. So, I see great 'ball security' as off setting the poor shooting and lack of a healthy Basabe.

Latest posts