***Official Hawks Flip The Fighting Turtles On Their Backs Game Thread***

I'm a huge fan of Fran, but even i question the Patrick before Keegan thing. Patrick has been good so far, but Keegan is on a whole nother level. In fairness to Fran tho, he has already started giving Keegan more minutes. Its also possible he wants to give Keegan more time to prove its not just a hot stretch before he messes with rotations.

If I had a time machine, I would go back and tell Fran to give the ball to Keegan with 5 seconds to go in regulation against Minnesota. That coast to coast last night was sweet.

@InGoodCo didn't say PM was the better player, he said your nepotism hot take was crazy. Which it is.
correct, if there was nepotism in this program, we wouldn’t be the #5 team in the country. His boys are likely held to a much higher bar when it comes to performance. I believe Fran awards his guys by their practice results and also who comes off first is situational

correct, if there was nepotism in this program, we wouldn’t be the #5 team in the country. His boys are likely held to a much higher bar when it comes to performance. I believe Fran awards his guys by their practice results and also who comes off first is situational
That’s fair. I respect your opinion. The nepotism remark may have been too strong.

That’s fair. I respect your opinion. The nepotism remark may have been too strong.
I know that if it were "my dad" or a lot of dad's I know, personally, they are gonna be way harder on their kids. I've never gotten that complaint from Hawkeye fans. Connor is a huge contributor to this team. He really makes things hum. Loved that section of the game where Connor was the only starter out there with all the younger guys. He was out there to keep the composer. He's a coach on the floor. Pat likely earns his minutes in practice. I think Fran likes to bring in Patrick because of his length to implement the press we run. It's situational IMO.

The good thing is both kids seem to be really well liked by the team. On a different team I could see the argument where Connor shouldn't get as many minutes maybe. But on this team, getting the ball to Garza is probably the 2nd biggest role on the team behind Garza shooting, and Connor is the best at it. He has to play a lot because of that alone.

The good thing is both kids seem to be really well liked by the team. On a different team I could see the argument where Connor shouldn't get as many minutes maybe. But on this team, getting the ball to Garza is probably the 2nd biggest role on the team behind Garza shooting, and Connor is the best at it. He has to play a lot because of that alone.
He also brings a calming factor under fire IMO, cause he's so strong with the ball. He's just tough and just what this team needs. They really don't need more scoring threats. They need exactly what he provides. He's also, again, a coach on the floor and holds his team mates accountable. You could see the lasers shooting at Joe T last night during that box out rebound that he should have had that lead to Fran calling the TO. There is a reason why Joe T isn't getting minutes, while he's flashed some great play, he's out of position a lot....couple that with being a little looser with the ball and unsure where he's going some time, it's not shocking at all to me.

He’s one of our best and most important players. People who don’t see that are blind

Not only is he quite excellent playing the point

Expert passing and all that

He also was 2-4 from sniper range

Patrick was: 2-2 from ThreeLand

Hawks were 13-26 from beyond the arc

Connor and Patrick were a combined 4-6

With their rather unorthodox Style

Last edited:
Can we save some of this clinic for Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan and MSU?

babylevines.tumblr.com - Tumbex

I know that if it were "my dad" or a lot of dad's I know, personally, they are gonna be way harder on their kids. I've never gotten that complaint from Hawkeye fans. Connor is a huge contributor to this team. He really makes things hum. Loved that section of the game where Connor was the only starter out there with all the younger guys. He was out there to keep the composer. He's a coach on the floor. Pat likely earns his minutes in practice. I think Fran likes to bring in Patrick because of his length to implement the press we run. It's situational IMO.
I’ve coached my son for 7 years now. He gets pushed harder. There are 3 reasons it happens imo...

1) You have to fight the perception that it’s the “coach’s kid.” Two years ago I had a big shit show where a classmate who played rec ball didn’t get invited by me to play on a travel team that I coach. I can only take so many to tourneys and to be honest he wasn't very good. The kid came to school as said, My dad said the only reason you’re playing travel team is because your dad is the coach.” It wouldn’t be so bad until he threw the “my dad said” thing in there. Now it’s harder on my kid because he knows there’s another adult talking shit. Trust me, it’s not easier for a coach’s kid to play, it’s harder for them. They get singled out. In return he constantly has to prove himself and has unfair expectations put on him by certain parents.

2) Your own kids don’t take instruction and criticism as easily because, well, you’re their dad. If I correct his stance or follow through he doesn’t always listen like he would if it were another coach. And he takes criticism way more personal. It’s natural, but unavoidable. My son's hip rotation in his swing is a great example. I would coach him up on it constantly and he just plain fought it because it didn't feel natural for him to uncoil the way I wanted him to. It was like banging my head on a brick wall so I finally had to let it go. The first time he went to a hitting camp with his classmates he got told the same thing and the problem was gone immediately. Those kids are stubborn as shit when dad tells them what's good for them.

3) This one is the one most coaches won’t admit to...it’s easier to be harder on your kid because you (think you) know what they’re capable of and you can push them harder without any consequences. If I think my kid is dogging it it's easier for me to make him do something over, or re-run a drill, or take an extra lap because there's no one who's going to complain. Is that right? No. But it's real and any parent who coaches and says they're 100% impartial is completely full of shit.

Connor and Pat haven't had any advantage given to them at all Especially by a dude like Fran. If anything they've had it rougher because both of them are on year 14 or 15 of hearing jealous-ass parents and players bark at them about being a daddy's boy coach's kid.

Side note and word of advice for any of you young dads out there who might be soon coaching their kids...

Think loooong and hard about coaching a rec league where everyone gets to play and at the same time coaching a travel/private team made up of kids invited from that same group. You WILL regret it. I had to because there was no one else to coach the rec teams, but it will make you miserable and turn you off from coaching.

Last edited:
Thanks but its nothing new.

Started doing it midway through 2018-19 season. My first major was journalism and I still like to write.

Finally picked up Sturgill's Sound And Fury...on vinyl, and in Madison no less where I was supposed to see him. (Of course "Turtles All The Way Down" is an older song)

My wife got me a turntable for X Mas. We had three other couples over for New Year's Eve and we played 80's record albums all night.

They skipped a bit.

Sturgill Simpson: Cutting Grass Album on Youtube

Shout out to Fran for calling 2 timeouts early for bad play, and then doing something about it. That game could have gotten out of hand early.
This x 1,000. I was going to start a separate thread but tonight I’m too lazy.

Besides the obvious benefit of two more wins, including one over a ranked opponent on their own floor, the Rutgers and Maryland games were significant in terms of Fran’s growth as a coach. He wisely used timeouts. He was mad, but instead of just getting on the players he inserted two or three substitutes who brought not only energy but played decent defense. The substitutions — Joe T, Keegan, Nunge, Uhlis — were game-changers.

Latest posts