***Official Hawks Are Gonna Be #1 In The Country In 5 Hours Game Thread***

I love Joe T at the point for D and taking it to the rack but he not good at interior passing which is what this team is all about. Against a team like the Zags, you just can't hide a poor defender.

The three’s just weren’t falling for us while they shot 50% from three point land.

If zags just shot the norm of 33% from three points land and we hit our average three point percentage then this game is a totally different game.

Agreed. We just couldn't hit the three. Got to give Gonzaga credit though they played stifling defense, and guarded well outside the arc.

Our poor defense showed how bad it is when playing very good teams. We can get away with that but not against very good teams. We don't box out.

It's an oversimplification to say "IF" we would have hit more threes. Part of what makes teams like Gonzaga great is that they apply constant pressure on the perimeter. The opponent gets "hurried up," and shots end up off just enough.

Our offense can bail us out against good teams, but against great ones, we better do the little things. We didn't today. Way too many hurried shots and poor rebounding effort. Other than Luka and Joe T, we got outworked. If I was Fran, that would bother me much more than the missed threes.

With Garza being Garza, if we hit our 3's and FT's, we can beat the top teams.
If we don't, we can lose to top teams.
We won’t even beat the top teams in the B1G with defense like we played today. Yes we will have games where our 3 point shooting makes up for it but no elite team defends that poorly. Sorry but we are overrated if we are in the top 10.

Story of the game:

We shot: 4-22 from three range
Zags shot: 13-26

Our strengths on offense are Garza and our Snipers

Zags outrebounded us: 49-38
They had 16 offensive rebounds
Usually for a FG

Zags had more assists: 25-16

They did have more TOs than the Hawks: 18-12

Our dismal three-point accuracy simply killed us.....

Would love to play them again

In the National Championship

NoneTheLess, we came back and bottom line:

It was Not Our Day

Thing about this game is Iowa looked hesitant from its first possession. They passed up a few wide open three's in the beginning as if they were almost afraid to shoot. I really felt it set the tone for the rest of the game, at least up to the 10 or 12 minute mark of the second half when they began to make a run. People will disagree with that. I think Iowa was a little shell shocked by how good Gonzaga was and I think it kinda got in their heads for the rest of the first half.

Bottom line is Iowa looked like they didn't take it to Gonzaga and Gonzaga took us.

Story of the game:

We shot: 4-22 from three range
Zags shot: 13-26

Our strengths on offense are Garza and our Snipers

Zags outrebounded us: 49-38
They had 16 offensive rebounds
Usually for a FG

Zags had more assists: 25-16

They did have more TOs than the Hawks: 18-12

Our dismal three-point accuracy simply killed us.....

Would love to play them again

In the National Championship

NoneTheLess, we came back and bottom line:

It was Not Our Day

Good analysis. If we hit our three's we would be in the game. It wasn't our day.

What concerns me is the lack of quickness to react when someone gets beat on D. And what about rebounds? We got schooled over and over. Our kids will adjust, but we have MSU, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, hell even Rutgers to battle with. It'll be a fun conference this year

What concerns me is the lack of quickness to react when someone gets beat on D. And what about rebounds? We got schooled over and over. Our kids will adjust, but we have MSU, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, hell even Rutgers to battle with. It'll be a fun conference this year

Even if we won today

We would not have an undefeated season

Might have 5-10 losses

In the Conference

So will every other team

We won’t even beat the top teams in the B1G with defense like we played today. Yes we will have games where our 3 point shooting makes up for it but no elite team defends that poorly. Sorry but we are overrated if we are in the top 10.

Yeah a lot of what you say is true. I can't count how many times a Gonzaga player cut right down the middle of the paint uncontested and scored a basket. It was embarrassing. If our defense does not improve and our threes' aren't going down its going to be a lot rougher season then we thought.

Yeah a lot of what you say is true. I can't count how many times a Gonzaga player cut right down the middle of the paint uncontested and scored a basket. It was embarrassing. If our defense does not improve and our threes' aren't going down its going to be a lot rougher season then we thought.
The difficult part is that we inherently have a very low ceiling in terms of our ability to defend on the perimeter. Bohannon, Connor, Weiskamp, and CJF all have limited quick-twitch and lateral movement abilities. It is what it is.

What we can do is make up for it with smarts, effort and quick rotations. We see it in spurts, but, to take the next step, we need to see it more consistently from this group. The effort wasn't there today. Hopefully, it will be a lesson learned. The Zags showed us what happens when you have both athleticism and effort.

I was really pleased that we fought back. Could have gotten really ugly. If Zags had not made a blizzard of three’s early, I have to wonder how this one might have played out. They are really, really good. I am certainly not ashamed of a loss to them. The biggest difference is that their D is much better than ours. However, I would add that even when our three’s were not falling, and our FT shooting was not up to par, we did score a boat load of points on them. Not sure what conclusions can be drawn from this game.
Just to keep Fry happy, yes, Jordan was really bad today.

I would definitely rather have Joe T start against the upper tier B1G teams and bring JorBo off the bench. Outside of UNC JorBo's shooting has been awful and if he's not scoring he isn't providing much value.

We are not a good defensive team.

That being said...they are not going to shoot threes that well if we play them again.
Don’t kid yourself. Mark Few always has recruited great three-point shooters. That has been a hallmark of his Gonzaga teams. The difference now is he has both the speed and athletic skill to drive and score at the rim in addition to bombing away from outside. Fun basketball to watch — unless it’s your favorite team they’re playing.

Well...when I think back to all those great Michigan State teams...they always gave up alot of layups. NOT. They contested everything at the rim. Gonzaga was doing layup drills in the first half. They exploited us everywhere...couple that with the threes and you are down 15.

Against teams like this, you need to be able to match some athleticism...somewhere. In our starting five...they are more athletic at 4 of the 5 positions with Weiskamp at the three holding his own. Now, we have Bohannon and CJ playing for the moxie and three point shooting...if they aren't making them or getting looks at three...you have to change your lineup and get more athleticism on the floor. Toussaint made a difference. Hell, I would have even brought Ulis in for a few minutes with Toussaint to see if it bothered Gonzaga and got us more opportunities on the offensive end. Toussaint got to the rim over and over.

Few was trying to take the threes away from Iowa and contest them at the arch...he was going to make Iowa beat them inside the three point line. We weren't patient on the offensive end and it cost us. We quick shot way too often in the first half. At least let Garza touch it every possession...instead...everyone is shooting when they get it regardless of where the clock is.

Well...when I think back to all those great Michigan State teams...they always gave up alot of layups. NOT. They contested everything at the rim. Gonzaga was doing layup drills in the first half. They exploited us everywhere...couple that with the threes and you are down 15.

Against teams like this, you need to be able to match some athleticism...somewhere. In our starting five...they are more athletic at 4 of the 5 positions with Weiskamp at the three holding his own. Now, we have Bohannon and CJ playing for the moxie and three point shooting...if they aren't making them or getting looks at three...you have to change your lineup and get more athleticism on the floor. Toussaint made a difference. Hell, I would have even brought Ulis in for a few minutes with Toussaint to see if it bothered Gonzaga and got us more opportunities on the offensive end. Toussaint got to the rim over and over.

Few was trying to take the threes away from Iowa and contest them at the arch...he was going to make Iowa beat them inside the three point line. We weren't patient on the offensive end and it cost us. We quick shot way too often in the first half. At least let Garza touch it every possession...instead...everyone is shooting when they get it regardless of where the clock is.
Yep. We had the ball twice down 10 late and Garza got zero touches on both possessions. Jordan tossed up some fadeaway 3 after he hadn’t made shit all day and we didn’t score on the other possession either.

Gonzaga didn't beat Iowa, Iowa beat themselves with horrible shooting from the 3 and free throws. You won't beat many teams shooting 4-22 from the 3 and 14-26 from the free throw line. You can try to say that Gonzaga's defense deserves some credit on the poor 3 point shooting but there were a bunch of wide open shots that were missed and defense does nothing against free throws.

So overall I'm pleased with the performance, hopefully Iowa will get another crack at Gonzaga in the tournament.

Latest posts