***Official Hawks Are Gonna Be #1 In The Country In 5 Hours Game Thread***

The W would have been nice, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over this one. If the Zags miss a couple of their open 3s and the Hawks connect on a couple of their missed open 3 looks, this game is a back and forth one possession game down the stretch.

Hawks are still making the tourney and, assuming they stay healthy, are most nights going to be a really tough out for anyone in the country. I still think we compete for the B10 title and have the potential to make a nice tourney run.

It was heartening to see the defensive intensity ratchet up in the second half. We were able to close up a game that, for all appearances, seemed to be getting out of hand in the first half. Hopefully the coaches will find plenty of "teachable moments" in the game film that we can put to good use against Purdue.

Gonzaga didn't beat Iowa, Iowa beat themselves with horrible shooting from the 3 and free throws. You won't beat many teams shooting 4-22 from the 3 and 14-26 from the free throw line. You can try to say that Gonzaga's defense deserves some credit on the poor 3 point shooting but there were a bunch of wide open shots that were missed and defense does nothing against free throws.

So overall I'm pleased with the performance, hopefully Iowa will get another crack at Gonzaga in the tournament.
I agree with the 1st paragraph. I wouldn’t say I’m pleased overall with our performance. Rather I’m not really concerned.

We won’t even beat the top teams in the B1G with defense like we played today. Yes we will have games where our 3 point shooting makes up for it but no elite team defends that poorly. Sorry but we are overrated if we are in the top 10.
I watch a lot of college basketball. I have not seen 10 teams better than Iowa...just my opinion. We’re 5th on Kenpom.

I agree with the 1st paragraph. I wouldn’t say I’m pleased overall with our performance. Rather I’m not really concerned.
Poorly worded, I’m never actually pleased with a loss. Optimistic is a better word, I’m more optimistic that Iowa can play with the top teams in the NCAA.

I would definitely rather have Joe T start against the upper tier B1G teams and bring JorBo off the bench. Outside of UNC JorBo's shooting has been awful and if he's not scoring he isn't providing much value.
I loved what Joe T was doing in the second half. If JBo cant find his shot and soon, I see Joe getting more and more of those minutes.

It's an oversimplification to say "IF" we would have hit more threes. Part of what makes teams like Gonzaga great is that they apply constant pressure on the perimeter. The opponent gets "hurried up," and shots end up off just enough.

Our offense can bail us out against good teams, but against great ones, we better do the little things. We didn't today. Way too many hurried shots and poor rebounding effort. Other than Luka and Joe T, we got outworked. If I was Fran, that would bother me much more than the missed threes.
Yeah but we even were bricking wide-open threes, guys that don't usually miss those. Coulda been nerves or that ugly court.

Yeah but we even were bricking wide-open threes, guys that don't usually miss those. Coulda been nerves or that ugly court.
As someone who played primarily on the perimeter, I can tell you the defensive pressure gets in your head. As a shooter, when you get a little rattled and start pressing, even wide open shots become more difficult. I think that was the case against Gonzaga.

That said, there are times where we just have a "cold" game. Last season's Nebraska game for instance is a good example of several players just not being in a groove all at the same time. That was just weird...and maddening.

Believe it was Nerves

What are the odds that Jordan and Freddy are collectively 3-15 from the floor and 1-8 from beyond the arc

They might as well have been shooting from the Moon

Also Suggs, who is a legitimate First Round prospect, before the Hawk game was 2-6
from three range

Saturday he was 7-10

The entire Hawkeye team only made FOUR

Just 3/4 successful threes from Jordan and Freddy, and 2/3 more defensive rebounds and the score would be significantly different

It was a combination of circumstances that led to the loss

The second half comeback was very nice and will pay dividends down the road

We really owe Purdue a Nasty Royal Ass-Kicking

It is not unimaginable to see the Hawks play the Zags in the Final Four or
National Championship game

Last edited:
Yeah a lot of what you say is true. I can't count how many times a Gonzaga player cut right down the middle of the paint uncontested and scored a basket. It was embarrassing. If our defense does not improve and our threes' aren't going down its going to be a lot rougher season then we thought.
We all know Fran fall short on either not recruiting quick enough players to play tight defense and/or defense is not the focus of his game its put the ball in the hoop. What always comes back to haunt us is when someone knows how to do both, put the ball in the hoop and play defense.

The W would have been nice, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over this one. If the Zags miss a couple of their open 3s and the Hawks connect on a couple of their missed open 3 looks, this game is a back and forth one possession game down the stretch.

Hawks are still making the tourney and, assuming they stay healthy, are most nights going to be a really tough out for anyone in the country. I still think we compete for the B10 title and have the potential to make a nice tourney run.

It was heartening to see the defensive intensity ratchet up in the second half. We were able to close up a game that, for all appearances, seemed to be getting out of hand in the first half. Hopefully the coaches will find plenty of "teachable moments" in the game film that we can put to good use against Purdue.

Yes, Yes, and Yes

Latest posts