***OFFICIAL CUBS OFF-SEASON THREAD***

hawkfarmer

Hope this makes Ellen happy.

Baez is looking like a stud, and from the sounds of it his defense is better than Castro's and the kid is 19. Pretty excited about some of the young talent the cubs have, but hoping some young pitching talent can be infused SOON!

Title should read OFF season, not post season, can somebody fix that for me???

Last edited:
Re: ***OFFICIAL CUBS POST-SEASON THREAD***

Hit "Edit Post" and then after that hit "Go Advanced". Then you should be able to edit the title.

The cubs have some depth at the middle infield.

Castro and Barney

Baez, Lake, Watkins, Amaya.

And at 3rd
Vitter, Villanueva and Candelario

Now, people on different sites are getting worked up about where to put Baez or Castro since they both play SS, and then what if Watkins can play 2B, do you trade Barney?

There are a lot of scenarios, but what I can see happening is some of the young guys that have high upside that maybe are raw like Lake are included in deals. Or if Watkins is the real deal then Barney is a good trade piece.

Also, if you can't see Castro at 2nd or 3B and Baez is the better SS, then trade him because he has great value (this is a few years away and a lot can happen).

My biggest point is that most of the kids in the farm system won't make it so trade them when they have value, but if they do pan out, then trade the older guys that are proven and have value. Right now the cubs have a great amount of value in the middle infield, and in the outfield as well. Pitching prospects are low, low low on the totem pole. Hope they can turn that around with some creative FA signing and deadline trades.

I would like to think the focus going forward is developing some pitching. All of these young hitters is nice to have but you can't win if you can't stop the other team's bats.

I would like to think the focus going forward is developing some pitching. All of these young hitters is nice to have but you can't win if you can't stop the other team's bats.

There is no question, no matter what else is going on, any organization needs to be focused on adding pitching depth. I think we get excited for some of these young hitters, because the Cubs have struggled so much offensivly for the past few years. They ranked 20th, 25th, and 28th in total offense the last 3 seasons. That is not a positive trend, but hopefully, some of these young guys can step up and make a difference.

This is what I could see the cubs doing this off-season as far as FA/ non tenders. Trades excluded because who the heck knows.

Starting pitching:

FAs that could be interesting:
Marcum
Sanchez (I think too pricey)
Edwin Jackson
Ervin Santana
Also, if the braves non-tender Jair Jurjens that could be an interesting pick up and cheap. If he returns to form that would be great.

I think the cubs non-tender Volstad and Ian Stewart.
I don't see any 3B FA that are interesting, but maybe a trade could work there.

The OF seems pretty full at the moment so I don't think anything will necessarily happen barring trades.

LaHair to Japan
Soriano traded

Barney and Garza have great value and could get traded this winter, but I highly doubt it.

The Cardinals have to be one of the luckiest franchises in all of sports. Year after year they take borderline good teams that somehow get hot come playoff time. My hats off to you, whatever they are doing works. It is the model I hope the Cubs can duplicate because in baseball it is not about being the best team it is all about just making the playoffs. If the World Series ends up being the Tigers vs Cardinals then you will have the teams from both leagues with the worst record making the playoffs playing each other.

The Cardinals have to be one of the luckiest franchises in all of sports. Year after year they take borderline good teams that somehow get hot come playoff time. My hats off to you, whatever they are doing works. It is the model I hope the Cubs can duplicate because in baseball it is not about being the best team it is all about just making the playoffs. If the World Series ends up being the Tigers vs Cardinals then you will have the teams from both leagues with the worst record making the playoffs playing each other.

bcf413db7a67dd8d6cfa98ad3c8983b5.jpg