OFFICIAL 2021 CUBS BASEBALL THREAD

Wait....wut, 3 game sweep of the Dodgers!? They games were even started by Kershaw, Bauer, and Buehler. Gotta admit, that’s pretty impressive

Well well well, look who is tied for first place?

Two key relievers are on the IL, Justin Steele and Alec Mills. Another key reliever (Rowan Wick) hasn't pitched yet this year and is on the 60 day IL.

Four key position players are on the IL. Others are playing hurt. Yet they haven't lost a game by more than one run the entire month of May.

So what gives?

Players like Matt Duffy, Jake Marisnick and Nico Hoerner (all currently on the IL) have balanced and diversified the lineup. More contact, more moving runners, more consistency. Don't have a stat sheet in front of me but Cubs have to be near the top in the majors in most sacrifice flies.

Bullpen has been lights out. Historically so lately. Relievers are throwing strikes and forcing batters to swing a pitcher's pitches. And Ross has been adept at getting them in and out of games at the proper time.

Road woes. Big problem in April/early May. Not so lately. They went 2-3 on a recent Cleveland/Detroit trip that should have been better, then followed that up with a just completed trip of 5-1 in their own Division. Again, pitching and balanced offense have been the keys.

KRIS BRYANT IS RAKING!!!!

OK, OK it is only May. And I've seen many, many Cub teams look like world beaters in May. But they should be getting a ton of injured players back soon and then things could get really interesting.

Cubs tossed out the small ball baseball bats and brought out the long ball baseball bats to thump the Padres today! Baez and Wisdom each hit 2 HRs and Bryant hit 1 HR. Pitcher Kohl Stewart called up from AAA Iowa to be the starting pitcher today. He replaced Trevor Williams who had an emergency appendectomy.

You know…I realize every season has its ups and downs, but I am enjoying this season more than I thought I would. The injuries suck, but the guys that have come in have really played well, the small ball has been a pleasant surprise, and the bullpen has been nothing short of amazing lately.

Ross is proving himself as a manager making the best of it through all the injuries. June is a hellacious schedule so hopefully they can continue to pick up series wins.

Bruh….the Cubs are now 11-1 so far against the Mets, Dodgers, Padres, and Cardinals. That’ll do just fine

In other news, seeing the Dodgers put up 11 runs on 7 hits and 4 walks in the 1st inning against the Cardinals fills my heart with joy.

Man….I don’t know about that decision to wave Marisnick home with 1 out in the 9th. The crazy fan part of me wants to fire the 3rd base coach for that

Man….I don’t know about that decision to wave Marisnick home with 1 out in the 9th. The crazy fan part of me wants to fire the 3rd base coach for that
I hear you but the Mets had to be perfect with the relay and the toss and they were. That was a super close play at the plate. I'm on the fence with the call. If it was me I believe I'd of held Jake. If they did hold him up and he died at third I'd of been why not send him. I think that's a 50/50 deal.

A professional know what to do with a seven run lead.

Arrieta, for everything he meant to the 2016 Cubs, is no longer a professional. That was the final straw. That bullpen will get rocked in Cincinnati this weekend because its getting used too much.