OFFICIAL 2021 CUBS BASEBALL THREAD

If you're a true blue, long time Cub fan, you will expect all four of these guys to rejuvenate their careers and have good seasons for their new teams. Meanwhile, everyone they got back in the trades will be in the minors or out of baseball altogether in a year or so.

Was there any doubt? Of course he did it.

I don't even need to tell you who did it or what he did.

LOL

Last edited:
As a life long Cubs fan I'm over it. A few trades they actually got something in return, but watching 9 players go this time around, I've had it. They threw in the towel on the season and have absolutely gutted the roster in the process. Now we get to wait until the offseason and try to rebuild a roster from this dumpster fire. I'm done with the Cubs for the next 3-5 years in I ever decide to support them again, until then I'm selling my fandom to the highest bidder luckily it won't take much as we've seen this last week.

I will never gnash my teeth over the fact that they didn't win more in this window, but maybe they won it too soon.

That they won it all in 2016 with a core nucleus between 23 and 27 years of age but could never get there again is indicative of how difficult it is to win one.

I'll tell you when things were never the same again. Labor Day. 2018, Cubs vs Brewers in Miller Park. Brewers were down 4.5 games with a month to go and Counsell was managing desperate. He brought Hader in early and extended him to a third inning. When Rizzo tagged him in the eighth and put the Cubs ahead it looked like the sand had run out of the Brewers' hourglass.

Wrong! Milwaukee quickly answered by tying it in the bottom of the eighth, then walked off when Bryant tried to turn the double play on Yelich instead of coming home for the sure out. It was a two game swing in the standings with Milwaukee 3.5 games back instead of 5.5, which could have ended their season.

Game over and it ignited the Brewers. They were red hot the rest of the way, then completely stopped losing. Cubs went 25-15 down the stretch and Brewers still ran them down. Milwaukee pitcher's also show how to pitch to the Cubs lineup-at the top of the strike zone. And it all started with that fateful Labor Day game. Since then Milwaukee has been a thorn in the Cubs side and some will say Bryant has never been the same player either.

I will never gnash my teeth over the fact that they didn't win more in this window, but maybe they won it too soon.

That they won it all in 2016 with a core nucleus between 23 and 27 years of age but could never get there again is indicative of how difficult it is to win one.

I'll tell you when things were never the same again. Labor Day. 2018, Cubs vs Brewers in Miller Park. Brewers were down 4.5 games with a month to go and Counsell was managing desperate. He brought Hader in early and extended him to a third inning. When Rizzo tagged him in the eighth and put the Cubs ahead it looked like the sand had run out of the Brewers' hourglass.

Wrong! Milwaukee quickly answered by tying it in the bottom of the eighth, then walked off when Bryant tried to turn the double play on Yelich instead of coming home for the sure out. It was a two game swing in the standings with Milwaukee 3.5 games back instead of 5.5, which could have ended their season.

Game over and it ignited the Brewers. They were red hot the rest of the way, then completely stopped losing. Cubs went 25-15 down the stretch and Brewers still ran them down. Milwaukee pitcher's also show how to pitch to the Cubs lineup-at the top of the strike zone. And it all started with that fateful Labor Day game. Since then Milwaukee has been a thorn in the Cubs side and some will say Bryant has never been the same player either.

They never would have won if they hadn't short term bought a phenom reliever.

Perhaps, But the Cubs had the talent in the pipeline to pony up. They had Gleyber Torres.

If they had a crystal ball at the time they would have traded Addison Russell instead.
IF Addison Russell was still a Cub we'd of been dumped last week like the rest of them.

I see Jon Lester’s first act as a Cardinal is throwing batting practice. I can respect that

Here's an unexpected twist to all these recent Cubs trades. By virtue of being a New York Yankee, Anthony Rizzo will now be playing in that game in Dyersville next week!

Saw an interview with Ricketts yesterday and he was assuring Cub fans that this rebuild will be nothing like the last. He expects to be in the playoffs in two years and a World Series soon after. He as an abundance of faith in Hoyer. Time will tell.

I've been a Cub fan all my long life and I won't quit now, but I do admit that for what ever reason, I didn't watch every game this year like I have in the past. But like the Cubs, I will be back (I hope).

Last edited:
Saw an interview with Ricketts yesterday and he was assuring Cub fans that this rebuild will be nothing like the last. He expects to be in the playoffs in two years and a World Series soon after. He as an abundance of faith in Hoyer. Time will tell.

I've been a Cub fan all my long life and I won't quit now, but I do admit that for what ever reason, I didn't watch every game this year like I have in the past. But like the Cubs, I will be back (I hope).
We were making the playoffs. That's the part that bothers me. Albeit, we weren't doing well when we got there. But if that's the case then why'd he make the comments about being unable to resign them? I don't think you can have it both ways. If it's about "expecting to be in the playoffs in two years" then IMO you don't give away 9 players and throw in the towel the last two months of the season.

So he guts his roster and takes an unknown gamble not knowing anything about what the building blocks of the franchise are going to be at this point. Adding the right pieces to the puzzle could have put this years team "in the playoffs in the next two years and in a World Series soon after". Or it could be an absolute dumpster fire moving forward. All I know is there are a ton of pissed off fans (rightfully) that aren't as optimistic and from our perspective there's too many question marks to give me anything to feel good about moving forward.

I've pretty much given up on baseball but I just might watch that game.
I'd rather watch Maddie and Tae at the free concert in Dyersville.

Ingrid Andress will be there as well and she is really good. Shy Carter's presence as a third artist will ensure the requisite eye candy.

Here's an idea for Thursday's Dyersville game. When a relief pitcher enters the game have him exit the back of the bullpen and enter the field through the corn.

You would need a gate or door somewhere in the outfield wall. And make sure the pitcher didn't slice his finger on one of those leaves.

Sweet…another Arrieta batting practice session.
38-27 at one point, the Cubs have dropped 37 of their last 51 and are well on their way to their second double digit losing streak this summer...

I know they gutted the team, but come on, these guys are still professionals. Burnes stuck the bat up their asses last night, attacking the top of the strike zone the way Brewer pitcher's always do.

Ian Happ is lost. He did have that foul ball bounce up and hit him in the eye socket late last year and I wonder if that is still bothering him. He also had that collision with Horner in Cincinnati in May.

But this is deeper than that. He has lost confidence and isn't adjusting. He is either watching his pitch go by or fouling it off.

Sad. He seems like a good guy and definitely has the athleticism. But you have to be able to hit major league pitching and he is getting an extended trial and failing miserably.

What the F is a "Maddie and Tae?"
Female country duo.

My wife listens to some of that stuff. She's seen Kenny Chesney approximately 637 times.

But only once with me and that was 20 years ago. I cant stand him or Jason Aldean or Luke Bryan or much of that genre. Blake Shelton is OK but most of his hits came when he was married to Miranda Lambert.

Coincidence? Hell no. Miranda is a legit talent and so are Maren Morris, Ashley McBryde, Ingrid Andress, and Kasey Musgraves. Women are so much more talented than men on the scene it isn't even funny.

Long winded answer, but there you go. Ingrid was there last night too, as well as Shy Carter. I didn't attend, but have gone to some shows this year and didn't realize how much I missed them. Will never get over missing Sturgill Simpson and Tyler Childers last year to to pandemic cancellations.

Latest posts