OFFICIAL 2020 CUBS BASEBALL THREAD

Wait....what? I've read she has permanent brain damage but I didn't see that she had died.
I could be wrong. But either way not good. One of the all time freak injuries, similar to the teenage girl that did die from a flying hockey puck in Columbus (causing the nets to be constructed in every hockey arena in THAT sport).

Cubs had a day off in Saint Louis the next day and Almora never bothered to get out of bed. I believe he still hasn't gotten over it.

I could be wrong. But either way not good. One of the all time freak injuries, similar to the teenage girl that did die from a flying hockey puck in Columbus (causing the nets to be constructed in every hockey arena in THAT sport).

Cubs had a day off in Saint Louis the next day and Almora never bothered to get out of bed. I believe he still hasn't gotten over it.
What made it even worse for Albert was he watched it happen in real time. It sickened him immediately. I really feel for Albert and the little girls family.

No, he had good numbers at the time and was on pace to knock over 20 home runs. He wasn't the same after that and his defense was crap as well, which very well could have been mental.

Thanks for the memz Schwarber.
Need a Ben Zobrist type player who can give professional at bats, put the ball in play, and play multiple positions.

Does this signal a move to left field for Bryant? Or Contreras?

They are still looking for top of the lineup help which could come in a deal in the form of a center fielder and that could move Ian Happ to left.

Gotta be a bit. Nothing on it in the Chicago Tribune, and Jason Bennetti is firmly entrenched in that position.

Schwarber? That may be a different story.
Sorry, I meant to include he’s leaving for the White Sox radio job according to the Athletic

Sorry, I meant to include he’s leaving for the White Sox radio job according to the Athletic
No, you were 100% correct. I saw your post, quick checked the Chicago Tribune and ESPN, didn't see it, and thought it might be just a rumor.

I found out otherwise before I had arrived at work. It sounds like Len has always had a desire to do radio and the Sox had an opening.

Pat Hughes definitely isn't going anywhere for a while. This now gives Kasper a chance to broadcast postseason games, up to and including the World Series.

Yu Darvish 2020 All MLB First Team.
I'm ticked today because Burlington lost their minor league affiliate. No more Burlington Bees after 58 years.

Yu Darvish 2020 All MLB First Team.
I'm ticked today because Burlington lost their minor league affiliate. No more Burlington Bees after 58 years.
No Clinton Lumber Kings, not sure about Quad Cities.

Cedar Rapids got an invitation to jump to the Twins top class A team. I hope they accept it because that's not a bad place to watch a game.

Dubuque hasn't had minor league baseball since the Astros abandoned in 1977. There was a push to build a minor league park about ten years ago and the Yankees were interested in being an affiliate. But taxpayers voted it down.

Old Petrakis Park in Dubuque was one of the rickiest places you could imagine. There was a light tower down the right field line that was in foul territory, but in the field of play. A long home run to left center could strike an Illinois Central train getting ready to cross the river. Trains frequently held up traffic arriving to or leaving games. Foul balls to right field would dent a hood or smash a windshield at least once a week. There was no protection from the elements in the grandstand and the lighting was terrible for night games. Finally, the field itself never recovered from 1965 flood damage and that same proximity to the river led to huge swarms of fish flies in the summer. But the memories remain. Tommy John pitched for Dubuque in the early 1960's for the Indians affiliate. Bobby Valentine and Steve Yeager came through a few years later for the Dodgers. And future Houston Astro Terry Puhl narrowly lost the Midwest League batting title to Clinton's Pedro Guerrero in 1975 or 76. Longtime Orioles and Pirates pitching coach Ray Miller once pitched a no hitter there.

Cedar Rapids got an invitation to jump to the Twins top class A team. I hope they accept it because that's not a bad place to watch a game.

Dubuque hasn't had minor league baseball since the Astros abandoned in 1977. There was a push to build a minor league park about ten years ago and the Yankees were interested in being an affiliate. But taxpayers voted it down.

Old Petrakis Park in Dubuque was one of the rickiest places you could imagine. There was a light tower down the right field line that was in foul territory, but in the field of play. A long home run to left center could strike an Illinois Central train getting ready to cross the river. Trains frequently held up traffic arriving to or leaving games. Foul balls to right field would dent a hood or smash a windshield at least once a week. There was no protection from the elements in the grandstand and the lighting was terrible for night games. Finally, the field itself never recovered from 1965 flood damage and that same proximity to the river led to huge swarms of fish flies in the summer. But the memories remain. Tommy John pitched for Dubuque in the early 1960's for the Indians affiliate. Bobby Valentine and Steve Yeager came through a few years later for the Dodgers. And future Houston Astro Terry Puhl narrowly lost the Midwest League batting title to Clinton's Pedro Guerrero in 1975 or 76. Longtime Orioles and Pirates pitching coach Ray Miller once pitched a no hitter there.

Quad Cities were offered by Kansas City Royals.

front.jpg

a0deb1d7c8faef2b19bc9a0bf774877f.jpg

1975_tcma_dubuque_b.jpg

Who knows how good or bad they will be. I've been a lifelong White Sox fan and I'm looking forward to this year and beyond! (If I'm still alive, that is)