Offensive Line

SCHawkeye2

I believe the quality of our OL talent seems to have fallen off in the last three years (and I don't think I'm alone on this).
The following represents Iowa OL named to the Coaches All B-10 1st or 2nd team since 2008.

2008 3
2009 3
2010 2
2011 2
2012 1
2013 2
2014 2
2015 2

2016 0
2017 1

Following the BF hire in 2012 as OL coach, it is notable the 2016 OL would have been the first 'all BF' OL - completely his recruits and his development - and the first in many years without a Hawk on the All B10 teams.
His second class of recruits had one on the 2017 All B10 first 2 teams.
How many of his third class of OL recruits will be on this years 1st or 2nd team All B10 team?

I believe the quality of our OL talent seems to have fallen off in the last three years (and I don't think I'm alone on this).
The following represents Iowa OL named to the Coaches All B-10 1st or 2nd team since 2008.

2008 3
2009 3
2010 2
2011 2
2012 1
2013 2
2014 2
2015 2

2016 0
2017 1

Following the BF hire in 2012 as OL coach, it is notable the 2016 OL would have been the first 'all BF' OL - completely his recruits and his development - and the first in many years without a Hawk on the All B10 teams.
How many of his third class of OL recruits will be on this years 1st or 2nd team All B10 team?

Yes it's fallen off, but the other part is that there have been years with some really good linemen that struggled. You can have a good O Line and if you ram into a stacked D, the D is oft going to win. Almost always something wrong compared to other good teams.

2008 3
2009 3
2010 2
2011 2
2012 1
2013 2
2014 2
2015 2

2016 0
2017 1

The offensive line misses Reese Morgan. And the team misses a coordinator who has the chutzpah's to tell the HC that the position coaches need to be realigned.

I'm going to go back to one of my favorite sources, Barry Alvarez's autobiography. (Yes I sort of like the book, I feel like a smarter person about football after reading it.). Anyway, when Lou Holtz promoted Barry to defensive coordinator, the first thing Barry did was request that Joe Moore (Kirk's high school HC) be moved to offense in exchange for tight ends coach George Stewart. He also asked for Chuck Heater, who had all but been exhiled from college coaching circles, to be his DB coach. Holtz granted him both requests. In 1989, with the best defense in the country, Notre Dame was national champions.

Could you see any coordinator trying to approach Kirk with those demands?

The interior line is charmin soft. Jackson is only good for drive killing penalties. Wirfs is decent. The days of the OLine Guru are
Long gone.

I've been very surprised at how not good our offensive line has been this year, certainly in the running game. We don't do a ton to help them out with regards to our play calling, but I expected more out of our tackles with one year of starting under their belts and our interior G-C-G combos have been average at absolute best and almost dreadful at their worst. I believe part of Stanley's struggles this year have also come from that interior group...too many times the pocket seems to end up in Nate's lap before he's had time to set and throw and that will mess with a QB more than anything because it makes him feel like he either a) can't step into the throw or b) can't execute a full follow throw, leading to inaccuracy in either case.

I've been very surprised at how not good our offensive line has been this year, certainly in the running game. We don't do a ton to help them out with regards to our play calling, but I expected more out of our tackles with one year of starting under their belts and our interior G-C-G combos have been average at absolute best and almost dreadful at their worst. I believe part of Stanley's struggles this year have also come from that interior group...too many times the pocket seems to end up in Nate's lap before he's had time to set and throw and that will mess with a QB more than anything because it makes him feel like he either a) can't step into the throw or b) can't execute a full follow throw, leading to inaccuracy in either case.
Not to mention it magnifies every throw when you can't friggin run the ball!!!!! Its not even like it takes a good defense to make us one dimensional.
We have played some pretty bad defenses and how many times, including non cons have we rushed for more than 140? Greene did it 6 times in 1 year by himself.

They look weak, fat, slow. Look at other teams offensive lines. Long arms, tall, carry their weight well. Our line, carry their weight in their butts, no upper body strength it seems. Doyle lol. Second most overpaid coach in the country. Oh his son will start at linebacker after this year too.

Nate has had ample time to throw the ball this year. Also it might help if he actually had some pocket presence, and could actually take a step left, right, or slide up in the pocket, but he can't.

Latest posts