Offensive Line Preview

You guys need to lighten up on Hawknick. There is nothing in his original post that is not accurate. We need a few more optimists in this world ... nothing wrong with that. Almost every team in the B1G has holes to fill in the O-line and we are not immune to that.

Thanks 1960, I did at least try to be accurate. Unfortunately I wrote this right before I saw the new 2 deeps so I did not feature Eric Simmons as much as I would have. I think Sean Welsh will end up being the starter again, but I will wait and see. Besides that I think I got the spots correct.

Thanks 1960, I did at least try to be accurate. Unfortunately I wrote this right before I saw the new 2 deeps so I did not feature Eric Simmons as much as I would have. I think Sean Welsh will end up being the starter again, but I will wait and see. Besides that I think I got the spots correct.

easy fix....just replace the name in your template. You can use the same thing next year for the preview and update the names.

You guys need to lighten up on Hawknick. There is nothing in his original post that is not accurate. We need a few more optimists in this world ... nothing wrong with that. Almost every team in the B1G has holes to fill in the O-line and we are not immune to that.

Did you see the Original piece 1960or the nice big edited version from 0600 this morning :)

Only thing changed this morning was details about Eric Simmons. Anyways he is a senior so I can't use the information next year. I do look forward to seeing this years offensive line recruits play though.

You can see where the snack bar is towards the end of the video I posted. It is right in the 22,000 square foot weight room. That part of the facility is only available to players, coaches, and employees as CJB mentioned.

I've thought about this alot and I think I've finally figured out how to vastly improve our offensive line play.

Answer: Put a true division one tailback behind them with speed and the ability to create for themselves based on what the seams the offensive line has provided them. We have to go back a long way to have anyone who has consistently done that. Shonn Greene, Wegher-Robinson....that's a long time ago.

Another Iowa line that will be the smallest of what? The top 5-6 teams in the B1G? Defensive lines get bigger and Iowa hovers around 300 lbs.

Another lineman is stepping up and could push for a 2nd team tackle spot.

Dalton Ferguson from Solon is a big 6'4" 310lb redshirt freshman tackle. He is not only big, but he carries the weight well. In high school he was an all state offensive lineman. He lettered in track, baseball and basketball. He has looked impressive in fall practices.

Dalton Ferguson from Solon is a big 6'4" 310lb redshirt freshman tackle. He is not only big, but he carries the weight well. In high school he was an all state offensive lineman. He lettered in track, baseball and basketball. He has looked impressive in fall practices.

It takes two the three years for a lineman to make an impact. Very rare for a freshman to make it to the field. And after that its a year of being pushed around before they make an splash. Very few 17-18 year olds can hang with B10 20-22 year old linemen. Ross Plies,....*cant rem. Was one of the very few out of Iowa that would have had a shot. But he went to Alabama. Brandon Scherff, one of Iowa's best. Made a big impact his Jr/Sr years. Not so much before. Carl Davis came in at over 340(?) Had to get down to 315 of muscle to be effective. If your basing your hopes on a red shirt freshman, your grasping at straws. Love the Hawks. Just not going to be our year.

Brandon Scherff was actually pretty good early on. He was a solid contributor as a freshman, and was having a great sophmore season before his injury. Dalton can help provide some depth at tackle this year, and possibly move up and be a starter later on in his career.

Brandon Scherff was actually pretty good early on. He was a solid contributor as a freshman, and was having a great sophmore season before his injury. Dalton can help provide some depth at tackle this year, and possibly move up and be a starter later on in his career.

False.

Point is very few linemen out of HS are good enough to make it on the field until their sophomore or junior years. They don't have the weight in the right place, they haven't faced that level of competition. And if they are being used early it's for a couple of reasons. The team is bad and they need a body. Or the player is very good. This year Iowa is more in the not very good category than a player being that good.

Not false, in 2011 Nolan Macmillan got hurt and Brandon stepped in. He played well too. In 2012 he was a difference maker. The success that Iowa had early in the season running the ball was in large part due to him. Dalton's expectations are not that high but sure he can be a good back up. Having more depth is a good thing.

It's not just about having the right size to play early, more is the correct technique, especially with Ferentz coaching. One thing for sure, he will have his O-lineman doing the correct technique or they won't be in there.

His size will help. It takes some guys 3 years to get up to the size they need to be. This is his second season to learn technique so he can contribute. At least enough to earn a post in this preview.

Let me make sure I get what Nickster and Melrose are saying here about these "nutritional opportunities"
... The Gatorade is chemically enhanced and there are "new" smoothie bars located in the part of the facility "only available to players, coaches and employees.

No wonder Nickster is so high on the "enhanced performance" of the OL. Though a little discretion might be in order.

Questions for Melrose: How's the mood? Any outbreaks of acne? Testicles same size as before your sample?