Offensive Line Preview

Old and getting older. I appreciate people discussing the players. What I don't like is people derailing a thread about Iowa offensive lineman. It is stresses like that ages me, I really need some tulsi at times like these. About Welsh that came out after my initial post. I never rule out the possibility that backups can work their way up the depth chart.

Last edited:
I can make another preview closer to the season, we'll see.

I'll save you the trouble.

Nick's preview of the Iowa football team:

1. Offensive line...great.
2. Running backs...great.
3. Receivers...great.
4. Quarterback...great...would be even greater if Jake were the starter.
5. Defensive line...great.
6. Linebackers...great.
7. Defensive backfield...great.
8. Special teams...great.
9. Kickers...great.
10. Coaching...great.

You're welcome.

You need to put more effort into your preview than that. List the players who are great and why they are great.

You need to put more effort into your preview than that. List the players who are great and why they are great.

They all are. Because they are on the Iowa football team. That's basically your previews in a nutshell. This is the Cliff's Notes version so people who don't want to don't have to read thru a bunch of paragraphs from you that basically say what I wrote.

By the way....this wasn't MY preview. I was doing YOUR preview for you. You're welcome.

Troll on nick, troll on.......

Well now I wouldn't say that. What makes you think that I think Iowa would be better with Jake starting? I have expressed satisfaction with CJB. Also in my preview I listed the strengths of the players such as size, speed, and athleticism. This offensive line has all 3. For a better shortened version. The line has a lot of guys that are big, 290-305lbs, that can also move, and have the agility to get leverage.

You are tired of threads being Hijacked????? lol hilarious Nick!

Many on this site are tired of the over the top optimistic view you have on EVERYTHING, especially when it's unwarranted. Things at Iowa are NOT perfect as you try to lead us to believe, all programs have question marks ALL. That is why I find you a troll.

Let's take this last 2 preview. Three starters return on the offensive line, but both tackles have to be replaced, including Outland Trophy winner Brandon Scherff. How do you have a preview on the OL that doesn't speak or mention that we have to replace the Outland Trophy Winner?? You RB preview on Jordan Canzeri taking over for the departed Mark Weisman. Yes Canzeri is faster and shiftier than the 240-pound Weisman, but Canzeri also is injury prone. Canzeri can't stay healthy want makes anyone think he will this season with a larger workload??

I'll add that it isn't like the offensive line tore it up last year with Scherff. There were some issues as they were not opening up gaping holes for the RB's to rip off runs. I hope they can turn it around, but to lose two tackles while a couple others underperformed last year and to state they are going to be good, is ludicrous at this point. They have to prove it.

Also HawkNick, most div 1 teams have strong and athletic lines. Iowa does as well, but you can't presume they are stronger and more athletic because they play AT Iowa. I agree there is a coaching advantage at Iowa with line play.

Not to mention a strength and conditioning advantage at Iowa with Coach Doyle, with the advantage growing with the new facility. The facility is large enough that no players have to wait to use weights ever. There are also more nutritional opportunities available.

Not to mention a strength and conditioning advantage at Iowa with Coach Doyle, with the advantage growing with the new facility. The facility is large enough that no players have to wait to use weights ever. There are also more nutritional opportunities available.

This is the kind of the stuff you state that people find suspect. Just trying to help here. I realize you have Hawkeye goggles on but how can you state that above. Back that up and explain why Iowa has more nutritional opportunities. Doesn't make sense. Have you toured other teams facilities or programs? We all really respect Coach Doyle and this is not a knock on him, but don't you suspect other programs have strong S&C programs? Coach Doyle got a lot of attention with Iowa's run in the early 2000's, and rightfully so, but Iowa teams have also struggled at times missed on opportunities.

I'm sure in the past Iowa had the appropriate amount of equipment. It isn't like players are going to just go from one piece of equipment to the other with never taking a breather or drink break. Yes the facilities are state-of-the-art and maybe they do have more equipment, I cannot say, but players aren't going to go all balls-out on a workout without taking ample breathers at times.

If you don't believe me see the facility for yourself.
https://youtu.be/DC5w3x4my6g

Thanks but I've actually had the fortune of having a private tour of the facility with my wife and two boys after a Hawkeye game. Went right past CJ Beathard and his family on our way out and met a number of players going in. But, will watch your video, though.

Doesn't explain why Iowa has a nutritional advantage though. On our tour, I did see the number of pallets of GatorAde, though. Pallets stacked to the ceiling. They do add even more electrolytes to the GatorAde. They had us try it. Imagine drinking salty Gatorade.

There are also new smoothie bars. These smoothies are packed with proteins, vitamins and minerals. To get the most benefits from weight training it is important to have this before and after workouts. Now it is right there and so easy for the players to get. It shows on the players such as Ike and Cole who made huge gains in the off season.

Nick - I started to rip you yesterday when reading this, but then thought you may really believe all of the outlandish posts you pen....made whilst wearing rose colored glasses. If it is really just shtick, then I give you props for fooling me.

Latest posts