Offensive Line Preview

Hawknick

Banned
Offensive Line Preview.

This year's offensive line will be a good one. Not only are they athletic, strong, and talented, but they are also well coached. On top of that 3 of the 5 spots have experienced starters.

The leader will be All Big 10, and All American candidate Austin Blythe. He will be making the line calls at center, and his senior leadership will help this line a lot. He also has the ability to play multiple positions on the line, as he has played both guard and center.

Another senior leader on this line will be pre season All Big 10 performer Jordan Walsh. This will be his third year as starter at right guard, and his impact will be huge.

At the other guard spot will be another experienced starter, Sean Welsh. Last year he started 7 games and earned freshman All Big 10 honors. This year he will take the next step forward. Another possibility at this spot will be Senior Eric Simmons, he currently topping the depth chart as of June 30.

At left guard will be 6'5" 300 pound Boone Myers! He is big and athletic. Like many of Iowa's great left tackles he is a converted tight end, so we know he has speed. He has also worked hard in the weight room to gain the strength needed to be a tackle. He will live up to the previous Iowa greats, and be the next inline as a great left tackle.

At right tackle is another big former tight end. 6'6" 300 pound Ike Boettger is every bit the athlete. Last year he filled in at left tackle do to injuries early in the season and performed admirably. Now he is ready to be a full time starter. When we all get to see more of him the chant "I like Ike" will fill the stadium as he bowls over defenders.

Two of the first guys of the bench might just be junior legacy players. First at tackle is Cole Croston son of former Iowa lineman Dave Croston. He has worked hard to bulk up, and he is now 295. Don't rule out him pushing for a starting job yet either. At guard is Mitch Keppy son of former Iowa lineman Myron Keppy. He has waited his turn, and now he is ready to push for playing time.

Iowa also has two huge 6'4" 300-305lb redshirt freshman. Ross Reynolds and Keagen Rendor are both all state Iowa lineman who have used their ability well at the college level. Rendor actually had to lose weight to get into college football shape, and he did. Both these guys are strong, and will only get better.

The second team also has an experienced center with 6'2" 295lb senior Eric Simmons. He is also a versatile player. As he listed as backup at both center and starting left guard.

Competing for time at tackle will also be junior 6'5" 290lb Ryan Ward. He has been used as an extra blocker in heavy sets, however he could play on the line too. At guard or center true freshman James Daniels could play. He already has the size at 6'4" 285. He also got on campus early so he would have a leg up on fundamentals vs other true freshman. They may not want to use him though as to take a year of eligibility.

This is a good group of lineman. They will be the foundation for offensive success this year.

Last edited:
The offensive line is always the foundation for offensive success every year. And other than Williamsburg Blythe at Center the line will be average. Let's just say CJ will be running a lot. Pray he stays healthy!

I'd like to know which part of the team Nick thinks is anything but "a good one".

Of course....since he has predicted an undefeated season, the Hawks have no weaknesses anywhere.

This is an honest and strait forward preview. The purpose of this is to be informative, not to provoke a response, or elicit a reaction.

Glass half-full? More like completely full.

I think he's trolling, though. A consistent troll, but a troll nonetheless. Good for a chuckle now and then.

This. I question the intellect of anyone that actually engages in a conversation with him. His act is old and played out. The ignore feature is wonderful.

Glass half-full? More like completely full.

I think he's trolling, though. A consistent troll, but a troll nonetheless. Good for a chuckle now and then.
I think you are right, and I would bet you can find some of his other troll jobs under a different user name if you looked hard enough.

That is not a very polite way to talk about someone who tries to provide meaningful information to the community.

That is not a very polite way to talk about someone who tries to provide meaningful information to the community.
Probably not, but you would know that it isn't against the law...know what I'm saying (wink wink)

I've seen other previews, and they all have include opinion, mine included. If you want don't like to read opinion just go see the stat lines, height, weight, bench, 40 time etc etc. To get a better preview though one might need a bit more, all though I used reasons to base my opinions such as the items listed above, the players experience and abilities too. Anyways I post this because some people on here might enjoy reading more about the players. I understand some of you may already know about all these players, and that is fine too. If you know everything about them just move along. There is not need to hijack a thread.

Ok, Northwestern's offensive line is not very good. That's enough of a preview. As I am getting tired of this thread being hijacked.

Ok, Northwestern's offensive line is not very good. That's enough of a preview. As I am getting tired of this thread being hijacked.

You are tired of threads being Hijacked????? lol hilarious Nick!

Many on this site are tired of the over the top optimistic view you have on EVERYTHING, especially when it's unwarranted. Things at Iowa are NOT perfect as you try to lead us to believe, all programs have question marks ALL. That is why I find you a troll.

Let's take this last 2 preview. Three starters return on the offensive line, but both tackles have to be replaced, including Outland Trophy winner Brandon Scherff. How do you have a preview on the OL that doesn't speak or mention that we have to replace the Outland Trophy Winner?? You RB preview on Jordan Canzeri taking over for the departed Mark Weisman. Yes Canzeri is faster and shiftier than the 240-pound Weisman, but Canzeri also is injury prone. Canzeri can't stay healthy want makes anyone think he will this season with a larger workload??

Simple, I was focusing on the players that are on this years team. On the running backs Daniels has now been named the starter so he will most likely be getting more carries total. That depth chart had not been released until after the preview was made. I was not sure that would happen. One also can't know for sure when injuries will occur and to whom. For example Fred Russel had been injury prone prior to the 2003 season, he was also a smaller shiftier back. However in the off season between 2002 and 2003 he changed up is diet and training. He went the entire 2003 season carrying the ball a majority of the time without a major injury. I don't think it is good to predict that someone will get injured.

This is an honest and strait forward preview. The purpose of this is to be informative, not to provoke a response, or elicit a reaction.

If you dont want a response or reaction then stop posting on this board. Just read everyone elses posts but stop, please stop. I think the Off Line will gel by week 4 or 5 unless they have been working out together on their own in the summer.

If you just want to post info where no one can respond then send letters to the editor at the gazette.

hawknick, you forgot that Welsh left the team, he is back but has to work his way back to starter, if he doesnt get back to starter that doesnt mean he was necessarily beaten out but perhaps that guard position might be weaker this year.

They have the size and athleticism, they have some good experience except for Boone, boy hate to go into the season with basically two raw tackles replacing two NFL draftees.