Offensive Line 2023

SCHawkeye2

What is the problem with our OL?

It once was Iowa's strength.
It is supposed to be Kirk and Brian's area of expertise.
Yet it is a glaring weakness.
Recruiting?
Development?
Scheme?

Recruiting?
Development?
Scheme?
Yup

Since Doyle has been gone things ain't been the same... Not that that's an end all be all common denominator because his #2 guy for many of those yrs is who's been running it since. But it's been a noticeable drop off. We'll get one or two guys like a Wirfs or Linderbaum to play with 4 other stiffs and the group is still medicore-bad.

All I know is to run any kind of O but especially the type BF & KF want to run everything starts and stops there. And it's the weak link of everything.

Recruiting?
Development?
Scheme?
Yes.

I have said before, I think it is pretty coincidental that they have really gone downhill since Chris Doyle leaving and juggling a couple of O line coaches.

my theory is the former O-Line coach was a lousy at identifying talent and or a lousy recruiter. and this is why he is gone. Then came a slew of injuries and guys leaving and they were left with this group.

geroge didn't recruit this group
If you compare overall recruiting rankings (assuming they are worth anything), our offensive line recruiting has been better the last 3-4 cycles as it has been in years. We've had some attrition, but every class has some attrition. Either way, we are not developing the talent at that unit like we used to. Something in the coaching is amiss, and it doesn't just fall on the OC or HC exclusively.

It didn't really happen to our Dline though? So, I don't get why just one of the sides of the ball is struggling. If someone could explain that to me, I'd be anxious to know.
Not sure I understand your question. Each side has different coaches. Why would a bad coach on offense be related to the defensive line play?

To be fair, if you search this forum's post titles for "Offensive Line", there is a considerable amount of criticism of the OL for about a decade.
It seems a long time in the making.
It's been an issue for quite awhile, yes, but the dramatic drop-off over the last two seasons is especially striking.

As others have surmised, some of the drop-off over the past 10 years or so probably relates to the rule changes in regards to cutting. We feasted with the zone scheme for years until the NCAA starting restricting what is allowed. Kirk has complained about it numerous times but never really adjusted to it.

my theory is the former O-Line coach was a lousy at identifying talent and or a lousy recruiter. and this is why he is gone. Then came a slew of injuries and guys leaving and they were left with this group.
If you compare overall recruiting rankings (assuming they are worth anything), our offensive line recruiting has been better the last 3-4 cycles as it has been in years. We've had some attrition, but every class has some attrition. Either way, we are not developing the talent at that unit like we used to. Something in the coaching is amiss, and it doesn't just fall on the OC or HC exclusively.
Also, it may or may not be a big factor here, but Iowa doesn't recruit by position. They recruit regionally, so a positional coach often is not the primary recruiter for his speciality.

That is MY bad, I thought you posted a pic of Doyle and clearly that dude aint bald
Ahh. Got it.

I agree with your premise, though. Braithwaite applies mostly the same principles as Doyle did, and we have several players making the usual gains in S&C, so it's hard to make the assertion that losing Doyle has had a tremendous impact. Doyle did have a "tough guy" demeanor, so I guess it is possible that we have lost some of that edge he brought to the position.

HUUGE in many ways. He was a hell of an offensive line coach, but also a hell of a recruiter.

It does seem you can trace a lot of it to the offensive line. Otherwise you have to believe that Cade has and always will suck. That out of the host of runningbacks we've seen can't average more than 2.8 yards per carry. That the TEs really aren't that good. And that we don't have a receiver that can run a little and catch a little every now and then.

But then we have to level the bulk of it at the o-line.

Just thinking about this season and last year....
To get there, you have to assume that somehow, virtually all of the 4-5 athletes over the last 3-4 years who were actually recruited by (regardless of who's doing the recruiting) and committed to Iowa, or somehow walked on earning a spot, or outright selected Iowa via the portal...to play on the offensive line.....
That 95% of them are 'duds'? I'm not buying it. I can buy 50%. Maybe even 60% some years, leaving some weaknesses somewhere on the line. Sure. But 95% of them? I just find this to be unpossible. There's something systemic going on and can be seen in the data or simply the sniff test.

I get that there's an o-line coach who's been at that helm for these ~3 years. But, I mean, in a given year, do you even need to actively recruit more than 40-50% of the offensive line? I mean, outside of a few that might need some convincing to not go to Iowa State?

This all suggests a systemic problem that goes beyond "talent/ability" or recruiting. It has to be coaching.
Barnett, Jr, or Papa. Or a horrible combination of all 3.

For much of the 2nd half, MSU only rushed four on defense. Our 5 OL could not open a hole or pass block even with the numbers advantage.
A stunning lack of OL talent, combined with a predictable scheme = 61 yds rushing and the 2.3 yds / rush we are familiar with.

Latest posts