Offensive Line 2023

Off the top of my head, the last time the offensive line was solid as a cohesive unit was 2015. You have had some really good individual pieces here and there and they are collecting NFL checks, but as a cohesive unit it has been a really long time.

Sidenote: IMO, O-line play across football college and the NFL isn’t very good right now. It isn’t just an Iowa problem. We all can up with reasons and/or theories on why that is.

The line has sucked long before Doyle was rightfully fired.

Yeah, I don’t buy into the Doyle factor the way many do. IIRC, it was Miller on his pod that stated the yards per carry have declined every year since 2009.

Sidenote: IMO, O-line play across football college and the NFL isn’t very good right now. It isn’t just an Iowa problem. We all can up with reasons and/or theories on why that is.

I think the biggest issue is that there are more really good d-tackles now. Suh and Donald demonstrated how a good tackle can almost singlehandedly shut down an offense and I'm not saying that there are dudes on par with those legends, but the position has morphed from a "take up space and stop the run" to "you are the closest defender to the QB so get at him." Guys are now stronger and faster in those positions than they have ever been.

Next biggest issue is the defensive packages. Dom Capers invented the zone blitz with the Steelers back in the '90's, but it has now evolved into a package where you are seeing unexpected pressure from a fourth rusher almost every play. You no longer have to just watch for the traditional tactics, but now you have to watch to see if your guy is falling back into a passing lane or if he is assigned to a specific run gap and then if he is, holy shit you better get that head on a swivel because someone else is probably coming from behind him, oh shit, never mind, play's already over. The LB won to the outside.

Next biggest is the drop in football participation. Parents don't want their kids playing anymore and the pool of good dudes has just shrunk.

I don't think any fan base other than perhaps Michigan is particularly happy with their o-line right now.

I think the biggest issue is that there are more really good d-tackles now. Suh and Donald demonstrated how a good tackle can almost singlehandedly shut down an offense and I'm not saying that there are dudes on par with those legends, but the position has morphed from a "take up space and stop the run" to "you are the closest defender to the QB so get at him." Guys are now stronger and faster in those positions than they have ever been.

Next biggest issue is the defensive packages. Dom Capers invented the zone blitz with the Steelers back in the '90's, but it has now evolved into a package where you are seeing unexpected pressure from a fourth rusher almost every play. You no longer have to just watch for the traditional tactics, but now you have to watch to see if your guy is falling back into a passing lane or if he is assigned to a specific run gap and then if he is, holy shit you better get that head on a swivel because someone else is probably coming from behind him, oh shit, never mind, play's already over. The LB won to the outside.

Next biggest is the drop in football participation. Parents don't want their kids playing anymore and the pool of good dudes has just shrunk.

I don't think any fan base other than perhaps Michigan is particularly happy with their o-line right now.

Just a couple of other random thoughts:

A lot of old school coaches, who could really coach up o-lines are retiring and I am not throwing shade on the younger generation of coaches, but they just don't have the same impact.

You gotta have a quarterback that can move. That is one of the few ways to counter bad o-line play. I hope Deacon Hill is the last "stiff" that Iowa brings in at quarterback.

Last edited:

Latest posts