off topic: random crap

Analytical Grammar/Grammar Planet

8 hrs ·
Today's Lunchbox Lesson: I COULD(N'T) CARE LESS

People say "I could care less" when, typically they mean "I couldn’t care less."

The original phrase "I couldn’t care less" began in Britain and made its way to the United States in the 1950s. The phrase "I could care less" appeared in the U.S. about a decade later.

In the early 1990s, Harvard professor and language writer Stephen Pinker suggested that the way people typically use the phrase "I could care less," (the way they emphasize the words) implies an ironic/sarcastic tone or effect.

Another argument is that contraction sound (n't) at the end of "couldn’t" is naturally dropped by slurring speakers.

"I could care less" is considered a language annoyance because of its illogical nature. To say you "could care less" means you have a bit of caring left -- which is typically not what the speaker intends when using the expression.

The proper "couldn’t care less" is still the dominant form in print, but "could care less" has been steadily gaining ground since its appearance in the 1960s.

If you use this phrase in writing, stick with "couldn’t care less" as it is considered standard.

How the hell did this thread go 4 pages?

Analytical Grammar/Grammar Planet

8 hrs ·
Today's Lunchbox Lesson: I COULD(N'T) CARE LESS

People say "I could care less" when, typically they mean "I couldn’t care less."

The original phrase "I couldn’t care less" began in Britain and made its way to the United States in the 1950s. The phrase "I could care less" appeared in the U.S. about a decade later.

In the early 1990s, Harvard professor and language writer Stephen Pinker suggested that the way people typically use the phrase "I could care less," (the way they emphasize the words) implies an ironic/sarcastic tone or effect.

Another argument is that contraction sound (n't) at the end of "couldn’t" is naturally dropped by slurring speakers.

"I could care less" is considered a language annoyance because of its illogical nature. To say you "could care less" means you have a bit of caring left -- which is typically not what the speaker intends when using the expression.

The proper "couldn’t care less" is still the dominant form in print, but "could care less" has been steadily gaining ground since its appearance in the 1960s.

If you use this phrase in writing, stick with "couldn’t care less" as it is considered standard.

How the hell did this thread go 4 pages?
I could care more or less.

Latest posts