OC rumor

As it relates to Brian Ferentz, if his name were Brian Smith, I doubt people would be getting sideways...he's on a near identical career arc with New England as Josh McDaniels experienced, and he became their OC at 30 years of age and was likely calling the plays at 29 the year after Weiss left to ND when New England didn't name an official OC replacement. Brian Ferentz will be 29 in March.

Brian has played in the Big Ten...he's seen the game from inside the helmet. He has been immersed in the game for his entire life. He's spent four years with the greatest professional coach of this generation. I don't think a scenario that sees him as Iowa's OC in a few years would be far fetched at all...

This. I would have no problem if Brian was named OC. I just don't know if the old man has the cajones to do it though.

As it relates to Brian Ferentz, if his name were Brian Smith, I doubt people would be getting sideways...he's on a near identical career arc with New England as Josh McDaniels experienced, and he became their OC at 30 years of age and was likely calling the plays at 29 the year after Weiss left to ND when New England didn't name an official OC replacement. Brian Ferentz will be 29 in March.

Brian has played in the Big Ten...he's seen the game from inside the helmet. He has been immersed in the game for his entire life. He's spent four years with the greatest professional coach of this generation. I don't think a scenario that sees him as Iowa's OC in a few years would be far fetched at all...

Just to dovetail this, probably just as importantly he is being trained in an environment that is arguably one of the best in the NFL. Learning the game under Belichick and working specifically in an east coast environment is going to be an extremely valuable experience. You're talking about a guy with four years of college experience as a coached son and six years of NFL experience as a player, scout and coach. People can make a mockery out of giving him a job because he's the coaches kid, but he has some serious qualifications. And let's be real, being KF's son isn't a negative.

Just to dovetail this, probably just as importantly he is being trained in an environment that is arguably one of the best in the NFL. Learning the game under Belichick and working specifically in an east coast environment is going to be an extremely valuable experience. You're talking about a guy with four years of college experience as a coached son and six years of NFL experience as a player, scout and coach. People can make a mockery out of giving him a job because he's the coaches kid, but he has some serious qualifications. And let's be real, being KF's son isn't a negative.

Nitpicking here but wasnt BF in the program 5 years? I believe he red-shirted.

Doesn't seem like any of BB assitants ever amount to anything as head coaches themselves, but they seem to do fine as the OC or DC for their given teams, though Josh McDaniel's seem to really struggle with the Rams, but then probably not all his fault.

I'm not sure I'd be happy with Brian as OC, or anyone who has zero experience. I'd be a little less upset if he was named OL coach.

It really doesn't matter in the end as the OC will call the plays that fit Kirk's style. Which means running into 9 man fronts, and horrible time managment.

Just to dovetail this, probably just as importantly he is being trained in an environment that is arguably one of the best in the NFL. Learning the game under Belichick and working specifically in an east coast environment is going to be an extremely valuable experience. You're talking about a guy with four years of college experience as a coached son and six years of NFL experience as a player, scout and coach.

I'm not sure I'd be happy with Brian as OC, or anyone who has zero experience.

crash.gif

I can't see BF as OC right now. OLine, yes. I really think if Soup doesn't get it, he's going to brush off his resume and start packing.

This isn't KF making this claim. It is Interwebs geniuses. The same crew who brought you Steve Forbes, M Stoops, Les Jepson for Iowa coaches, DJK in the NFL, and Fieldhouse legend A Murphy as being better than Jeff Horner.

So it's you who was dismissing the Les Jepson talk!

:mad:

I have made a note of it.

No. Which is why you promote him to OC. Unless you have a slamdunk outside hire (which goes against everything in KF's being), you go with Soup.

Jon! Dude!

Seriously, comparing one year of being a TE coach to four years of being a QB coach?!

Not withstanding the radical difference between the responsibilities between the two positions, 2004-2008 is not the same as just 2011. It might be somewhat of a similar trajectory if this was freaking 2014! But you still have the TE to QB thing.:eek:

Personally hope we get a guy that can recruit. I love the idea of Brian at Oline as coach but if he were to get the OC job I wouldn't mind unlike CAAR.

Nevermind the fact that there has been chatter about Brian Ferentz getting some play-calling responsibility in New England next year if he is still there. That Belichick dude isnt going to last long in coaching if he keeps making these boneheaded type moves.

Is this chatter coming from KF's agent? All that talk about jumping to the NFL has helped push his salary into the top ten of college coaches. Maybe father and son share the same agent. That would be brilliant.

Seriously, can you tell us where this chatter is coming from? Josh McDaniels was hired a month ago to be OC again in New England. Do you think Belichick told him his hire was contingent on allowing Brian Ferentz to call plays? How would this would help McDaniels' career advancement or the Patriots win another Super Bowl?

I don't want the same "family" coaching my football team for 30+years. I don't care if their last name is Lombardi. This ain't Happy Valley. Thank God.

Latest posts