OC rumor

It wasn't an ideal situation with Big Tom's passing but I believe it worked out pretty well for Callahan Auto Parts in the end. Sometimes you don't know what people are capable of until you thrust them into a high pressure situation. If Kirk thinks Brian can do a good job, then I'll take the butcher's word for it.[/QUOTE]

Don't agree 100% but awesome post.

Gotta laugh at the love of nepotism on this board. There are guys on the offensive staff that have put in decades of coaching, but you guys want a kid whose claim to fame is coaching two guys who no coach could have stopped from being successful on a unit designed for them to shine. Seriously, give any half decent position coach Gronk and Hernandez with Brady throwing the ball in the hoodie's offense and you get the same results. So why do you want him? He is KF's kid! What is this? Freaking Tommy Boy?! This is not the family freaking business! It is major conference football. Sure, it might be fine to talk about BF coming to learn how to coach line under his Dad, but to leapfrog the other offensive coaches to become OC anytime soon is just ridiculous.
It wasn't an ideal situation with Big Tom's passing but I believe it worked out pretty well for Callahan Auto Parts in the end. Sometimes you don't know what people are capable of until you thrust them into a high pressure situation. If Kirk thinks Brian can do a good job, then I'll take the butcher's word for it.
CH hating on Ferentz. I am shocked.

Color me shocked as well. BAU

Gotta laugh at the love of nepotism on this board. There are guys on the offensive staff that have put in decades of coaching, but you guys want a kid whose claim to fame is coaching two guys who no coach could have stopped from being successful on a unit designed for them to shine. Seriously, give any half decent position coach Gronk and Hernandez with Brady throwing the ball in the hoodie's offense and you get the same results.

So why do you want him? He is KF's kid!

What is this? Freaking Tommy Boy?! This is not the family freaking business! It is major conference football. Sure, it might be fine to talk about BF coming to learn how to coach line under his Dad, but to leapfrog the other offensive coaches to become OC anytime soon is just ridiculous.
^exactly.
I mentioned in an earlier thread asking about OC and I said you need some experience. I would rather have someone with past success even if older who knows what kind of offensve he has.

Um guys, I am not hating on KF. I am laughing at the geniuses on this board who think a guy with who is very green when it comes to coaching is going to be leapfrogging coaches that have had success coaching different positions over a decade, just because he is the HC's son.

This isn't KF making this claim. It is Interwebs geniuses. The same crew who brought you Steve Forbes, M Stoops, Les Jepson for Iowa coaches, DJK in the NFL, and Fieldhouse legend A Murphy as being better than Jeff Horner.

Seriously, turn off the Spanktravision or the Skinamax and let the blood return to your head before you give yourself a stroke, er....

Last edited:
Haven't we learned anything from the DC hire. Kirk will do the predictable. Someone on the staff will be promoted. I can't imagine he brings in an outsider for OC. I'm fine with Soup.

Gotta laugh at the love of nepotism on this board. There are guys on the offensive staff that have put in decades of coaching, but you guys want a kid whose claim to fame is coaching two guys who no coach could have stopped from being successful on a unit designed for them to shine. Seriously, give any half decent position coach Gronk and Hernandez with Brady throwing the ball in the hoodie's offense and you get the same results.

What is this? Freaking Tommy Boy?! This is not the family freaking business! It is major conference football. Sure, it might be fine to talk about BF coming to learn how to coach line under his Dad, but to leapfrog the other offensive coaches to become OC anytime soon is just ridiculous.

Nevermind the fact that there has been chatter about Brian Ferentz getting some play-calling responsibility in New England next year if he is still there. That Belichick dude isnt going to last long in coaching if he keeps making these boneheaded type moves.

If KF went this route for a year or two, I don't think that would be a bad idea...because what would come with it would be the heir apparent at OC, whether or not it was acknowledged at the time of the hire...like if a Tom Moore came in with a Brian Ferentz as OL coach...let Brian have some responsibilities with the offense...then in a couple years, OC.

That said, I doubt it would happen.

Maybe I missed it...what is your prediction Jon? You were solid on Phil. Have any feelings on current openings?

Id like to see BF on staff, but not running the show on offense. This guy is relentless in everything he does and knows his stuff. He wouldnt take no for an answer from a kid hes recruiting.

Maybe I missed it...what is your prediction Jon? You were solid on Phil. Have any feelings on current openings?

Yes, Jon was sold on Phil, as was nearly everyone. I think the majority of people knew it would be Phil Parker. They may have questioned it after the delays, but in the end this was not a surprise at all.

I have no feelings or predictions on this...been thinking that a guy like Jay Norvell should get a hard look...but outside of that, nothing

I still don't see why anyone is getting thier panties in a bunch over this. The dude is in his 70's, I find it hard to believe he's getting any consideration. It's must more likely that KF brought him in as a consultant to get his input on the direction of the offense and pick his brain over possible candidates.

It wasn't an ideal situation with Big Tom's passing but I believe it worked out pretty well for Callahan Auto Parts in the end. Sometimes you don't know what people are capable of until you thrust them into a high pressure situation.

If Kirk thinks Brian can do a good job, then I'll take the butcher's word for it.

well done.

As it relates to Brian Ferentz, if his name were Brian Smith, I doubt people would be getting sideways...he's on a near identical career arc with New England as Josh McDaniels experienced, and he became their OC at 30 years of age and was likely calling the plays at 29 the year after Weiss left to ND when New England didn't name an official OC replacement. Brian Ferentz will be 29 in March.

Brian has played in the Big Ten...he's seen the game from inside the helmet. He has been immersed in the game for his entire life. He's spent four years with the greatest professional coach of this generation. I don't think a scenario that sees him as Iowa's OC in a few years would be far fetched at all...

Latest posts