Observations

Sirhouseman

Roy Dev Marble is Iowa's best player and it's not even close. He can
shoot, he can take guys off the bounce, and his strength is down on
the block 1 on 1. What a pleasant surprise and nice to have an option
besides Cartwright (who is struggling, although playing better).
Oglesby, my Noglesby is a consistent 3 point shooter and should finish
above .40% for the year. He can handle the ball and seems to have a
great basketball IQ. I wish he would shoot more. He's the only
player who when he shoots I'm confident it's going in. Gatens will
continue to get opposing teams best defender, which makes his numbers
even more impressive. Gatens is Gatens, nuff said. Iowa is
competitive and darn right dangerous when Basabe is engaged and gets
off to a good start. He has dropped a lot of weight that was
seemingly making him lethargic, and his conditioning seems to be
paying off. When he struggles, so does Iowa because they really don't
have true inside presence without him. Aaron White is going to be
very very good one day. He has length, he can put it on the floor, he
can shoot from the outside, and he can block shots. Oleseni is going
to be special as well. Wish that guy could figure out how not to spaz
out and get more minutes. He's ridiculously athletic and has all the
tools to be Iowa's best inside presence, but he needs some seasoning.
He hasn't played basketball that long, and it shows. That one handed
oop last night was sick. In a couple years Iowa's front line is going
to be explosive and deep with Woodberry fitting in nicely. Right now
McCabe is Iowa's most consistent inside player, but he's forced to
play out of position. He is effective when he can stay on the floor.
Brommer brings a lot of hustle and length, but he's really limited
athletically and gets beat by quicker players.

This isn't anything really new, but just some observations. I like
talking Hawks. I think the pieces are coming together, and with
Cartwright getting back on the floor, I see some definite improvement.
What will it mean come conference play not sure, but I'd think they
can play with a lot of teams. Not going to win a lot, but should be
competitive and get a couple at home.

Roy Dev Marble is Iowa's best player and it's not even close. He can
shoot, he can take guys off the bounce, and his strength is down on
the block 1 on 1. What a pleasant surprise and nice to have an option
besides Cartwright (who is struggling, although playing better).
Oglesby, my Noglesby is a consistent 3 point shooter and should finish
above .40% for the year. He can handle the ball and seems to have a
great basketball IQ. I wish he would shoot more. He's the only
player who when he shoots I'm confident it's going in. Gatens will
continue to get opposing teams best defender, which makes his numbers
even more impressive. Gatens is Gatens, nuff said. Iowa is
competitive and darn right dangerous when Basabe is engaged and gets
off to a good start. He has dropped a lot of weight that was
seemingly making him lethargic, and his conditioning seems to be
paying off. When he struggles, so does Iowa because they really don't
have true inside presence without him. Aaron White is going to be
very very good one day. He has length, he can put it on the floor, he
can shoot from the outside, and he can block shots. Oleseni is going
to be special as well. Wish that guy could figure out how not to spaz
out and get more minutes. He's ridiculously athletic and has all the
tools to be Iowa's best inside presence, but he needs some seasoning.
He hasn't played basketball that long, and it shows. That one handed
oop last night was sick. In a couple years Iowa's front line is going
to be explosive and deep with Woodberry fitting in nicely. Right now
McCabe is Iowa's most consistent inside player, but he's forced to
play out of position. He is effective when he can stay on the floor.
Brommer brings a lot of hustle and length, but he's really limited
athletically and gets beat by quicker players.

This isn't anything really new, but just some observations. I like
talking Hawks. I think the pieces are coming together, and with
Cartwright getting back on the floor, I see some definite improvement.
What will it mean come conference play not sure, but I'd think they
can play with a lot of teams. Not going to win a lot, but should be
competitive and get a couple at home.
Nice take on the team and I think you are spot on. The front court will be very strong and I think Olaseni will be a big contributor in a couple years. Meyer will be a suprise next year as will Clemmons.

I did a quick analysis of each player this morning and if you look at production for the time on the floor, White is the strongest. He is so solid in most parts of his game and he just has the fire in his belly to be good. He should be starting without a doubt. Josh is also solid for a freshman and I agree with you, when he shoots you just expect it to go in. He never shoots ugly. Based on my own personal analysis I would start Gaten, White, Marble, Basabe and Olgelsby. Just my opinion.

Thanks for your post, its informative.

All good assessments, I am most pleasantly surprised by White and you are correct he will be very very good one day.

I hope everyone still feels this way when we start playing Big Ten Teams, I like our future, but this team has not beaten a decent team yet, Fran is upgrading our talent but I still think we have a long ways to go before we can have a winning conference record, heck 9-7 or 8-8 would be outstanding!

I think that the biggest beneficiary of Marble's emergence will be Matt Gatens. Anything that can be done to take pressure and focus off of Matt will only help him and if teams still choose to focus on him then Marble has to take advantage of that.

iahawk72

for Iowa to get to triple digits and win by 40 over a bad team is more encouraging than a 5 pt win over a bad team
Marble 23 min 5-8 fg 9-10 ft 3 rbs 6 ast 1 to 19 pts 6 out of last 7 games in dbl figures
White 21 min 7-12 fg 1-3 3 pt 5 rbs 2 ast 1 to 2 blks 2 stl 17 pts 2 dbl figures game in a row
leading scorers for Iowa Marble is defenitely the best and most improved player from last year
White is showing improvement and looks like he starting to let the game come to him
plus he will create very big mismatches going forward
Marble, White and Basabe will be a solid core to fit the last two pieces into the puzzle for next year
May coming off the bench is good thing he can provide a spark and looks more relaxed
some players are good at starting some are not, some people are better being the 6th or 7th man just the way it is
McCabe will be the 6th or 7th man next year as i feel that Woodbury or Olaseni will start at center
Gesell and Clemmons will handle pg duties with Ingram, Meyer, and Oglesby providing solid minutes,
this team will be able to go 11 deep and none of the starters will need to play much more than 25 minutes a game unless we have overtime games

Last edited:
Good post. Agree that Marble seems to get better each game and it's not always his scoring. He is becoming a better decision maker / distributor and defender as well. The team really needs Cartwright to knock the dust off, as he is the only guy besides Marble that can create for others. White continues to impress and it looks like his jumper is starting to fall. Ogelsby and Gatens seem steady and both are using ball fakes instead of just catching and shooting.

We have yet to play a decent game against a good team, so Thursday night should be interesting.

Good post. Agree that Marble seems to get better each game and it's not always his scoring. He is becoming a better decision maker / distributor and defender as well. The team really needs Cartwright to knock the dust off, as he is the only guy besides Marble that can create for others. White continues to impress and it looks like his jumper is starting to fall. Ogelsby and Gatens seem steady and both are using ball fakes instead of just catching and shooting.

We have yet to play a decent game against a good team, so Thursday night should be interesting.

Who would have thought Marble would progress so quickly. I like many others was very concerned with point guard depth. Not much of a worry now with Marble stepping up and Stubbs able to contribute some spot minutes.

The thing I like most about this post is we can talk about who should start. It is great to have some sort of a bench! All part of Frans plan if he wants to run then players will need rests.

I like what Fran is starting to put together. It really does boggle my mind that people still question his recruiting. There looks to be a lot of potential with this years class and next years. Wins will come, but it will take time.

The thing I like most about this post is we can talk about who should start. It is great to have some sort of a bench! All part of Frans plan if he wants to run then players will need rests.

I like what Fran is starting to put together. It really does boggle my mind that people still question his recruiting. There looks to be a lot of potential with this years class and next years. Wins will come, but it will take time.

This is reality:)

This year and perhaps for at least the start of next season it is critical that multiple people have solid games. If you look at the wins I believe we had 4 or 5 in double figures each game. Iowa doesn't have that one guy who will "go off" for 35 and carry the team when others are having an off night. The encouraging part is the number of players capable of scoring 10-20 pts at any given time has increased and will only get better next season.

Olaseni looked impressive, albeit at garbage time at the end. He wasn't swinging wildly at shots, just kind of hung out until the guy came to him and swatted it. I think he missed a little jump hook, but made the rest of his shots (dunks) and showed good hands.

Olaseni looked impressive, albeit at garbage time at the end. He wasn't swinging wildly at shots, just kind of hung out until the guy came to him and swatted it. I think he missed a little jump hook, but made the rest of his shots (dunks) and showed good hands.

In 6 minutes of playing time Olaseni looked much better than Archie at any point of his career, and showed more potential than Brommer who play a ton for Lick as a freshman, Fran has brought in better talent than Lick but so has Horner and he is only a high school coach!

Great point. After Olaseni's performance last night it's pretty safe to say DArch won't see much PT the rest of the season. Unfortunate in a way, as the dude should never have been recruited here in the first place, but he has not improved in any facet of the game since arriving and that's on him.

the thing i like is Fran is developing the talent he has, that was the thing lacking under Alford and Lick
it appears that Fran can recruit and develope talent, that is a great combination
in my opinion Fran in public has the demeanor of Mr. Davis and Lutes ability to recruit
both could develope talent

I thought once Noodles came on staff, SA had better developmental results. Bru was 1st team all Big Ten. Erek Hansen was Defensive POY. Doug Thomas was 6th man of the year. Horner became Iowa's all time 3pt shooter and assist man. Haluska led the league in scoring and was all Big Ten. Tyler Smith was second in Frosh of the Year voting and made all league frosh team. Not coincidentally, Iowa was 23-13 vs Big Ten teams those last two years.

It is going to be interesting to see how these newcomers develop under Fran.
The whole league has talent coming in,so maybe relative to other contenders,Iowa will just maintain,but overall,rise nationally.

I am very impressed with Aaron White, I think we all are. I want to know if he can play (and guard) a small forward position in the conference. How does he match up against a a true 3 from Ohio St. or Michigan St? If he can guard those type of guys, that could be the key factor in Iowa becoming good. What I am really referencing is next year.

Next year, if the starting front court could be Woodbury, Basabe, and White (5,4,3) that would put Iowa in a great position to be competitive in the Big 10. And with the emergence of Marble and Ogelsby, throw in Gessel and the other recruits, the backcourt will be good too. My point is, White needs to be on the floor, and so does Basabe. This method seems to be the best way to do that.

you are correct Ol'Noodle did make a difference in developing players and helped in up grading the talent coming in
Tyler Smith a top 50 recruit was brought in by Noodle
Alford finally started to get involved with AAU teams, Indiana Elite was the 1st which led to getting Freeman

White is goint to be a really nice player, but I don't see him starting next season. Gesell or Clemmons will most likely start at PG with Oglesby/Marble/Basabe/Woodbury rounding out the rest of the five.
It is important for Iowa to get a true PG on the floor all the time. Here is something to think about though, bring White off the bench and if Ingram isn't a huge contributor, utilize Oglesby-Marble-White rotation at the 2-3 position with Marble being able to play the 2 or 3. If Ingram contributes then bring him and White in the game at the same time, Ingram can drive like Marble can and White can shoot the three, or drive like Oglesby will be able to do.
A real bench, what a concept?????

Latest posts